ADVERTISEMENT

Former Mumford & Sons member Winston Marshall says he was 'condemned' by other artists following controversial tweets: 'I lost a lot of friends'

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
So this guy has an opinion and gets "canceled".

"Congratulations @MrAndyNgo," Marshall said in his tweet, which he subsequently deleted. “Finally had the time to read your important book. You’re a brave man.”

What a shitty deal. I used to really like those guys, haven’t regularly listened to them in a couple years. I had no idea he left the band. Sounds like he’s better off without them.

Reactions: NCHawk5
I don't know much about him, but like the band. I guess the whole social media thing was new to him?

I can't stand cancel culture, but not understanding when you endorse a weirdo on social media has consequences is idiotic.

Yes. The progressives are so horrific. They don’t want to support people who deny science, human caused global heating, efficacy of Covid vaccines, human rights, violence, insurrections, etc.

Get a grip. Do you own a mirror? Have you honestly looked into it recently?
Seems being accountable for ones words and actions is now considered cancel culture to the party of personal accountability.

Seems being accountable for ones words and actions is now considered cancel culture to the party of personal accountability.
Lose everything in life for ignorantly posting a tweet and then deleting it when you recognize the error? I mean, seriously? Talk about overkill from the left.

mumford.jpg

What’s the big deal about Ngo? Can’t find anything about him that’s all that bad. He hates antifa? BFD good for him
He’s a real life troll who‘s goal in life is to stir up shit while trying to stay relevant. I honestly haven’t heard his name in the news or social media in at least a year or two.

Reactions: BelemNole
He’s a real life troll who‘s goal in life is to stir up shit while trying to stay relevant. I honestly haven’t heard his name in the news or social media in at least a year or two.
What’s the big deal then? 🤷‍♂️
Hate speech? Pedophile? I mean apparently bad enough for the woke mob to cancel someone for simply saying he liked a book. I’m not finding anything worthy of the response.

Reactions: chodehawk
What’s the big deal then? 🤷‍♂️
Hate speech? Pedophile? I mean apparently bad enough for the woke mob to cancel someone for simply saying he liked a book. I’m not finding anything worthy of the response.
Dig deeper and do more research I guess. Draw your own conclusions about the guy. In my book, he’s trash.

Dig deeper and do more research I guess. Draw your own conclusions about the guy. In my book, he’s trash.
I’ve given 5 minutes of my life. That’s more than it’s worth, don’t even like the band. If Ngo is so awful, you’d think it would be simple enough to find quickly.

Got what he deserved after encouraging that pair of chode jeans Andy Ngo. Wouldn’t mind seeing every Ngo supporter cancelled like that.

If you're serious, you're nuts. So are all the people that liked that.

That's not a reasonable response at all.

And if anybody has actually paid attention to Ngo, they'd know he's just another biased political actor in a sea of biased political actors. He does dig up legit -- yes, real, accurate stuff -- on Antifa and the like. Which is, uh.. fine? Nothing wrong with that. Yeah, Maga likes it -- so what?

But he also embellishes, leaves out context, and leads the reader to inaccurate conclusions at times. He's not exactly high quality information. You really have to quality check his stuff.

At any rate, there's so many political voices out there doing this sort of low quality work.

Some musician ringing the praises of one of them just says they're probably not too savvy in deciphering what's quality info in a sea of poli-tribal bullshit. But why would I care about a specific political view of some dumb musician anyway? You shouldn't either.

Lose everything in life for ignorantly posting a tweet and then deleting it when you recognize the error? I mean, seriously? Talk about overkill from the left.
But why was it an error? He should be free to express his opinion without the angry mob demanding action due to it..it's no different that Gina Carano getting canned from the Mandalorian for expressing her views.

I think Tom Cruise is nuts in his personal life and I don't support/agree with Scientology, but I love his movies. I feel the same way about Martin Sheen...I don't agree with his politics, but thinks he's great on film. The mob wants freedom of speech as long as that speech agrees with their views. The right did the same crap to the Dixie Chics. ...now, of course their situation was a little different because their fanbase was a very narrow group and you probably shouldn't crap where you eat, but again, it's the same thing.

Reactions: hexumhawk
But why was it an error? He should be free to express his opinion without the angry mob demanding action due to it..it's no different that Gina Carano getting canned from the Mandalorian for expressing her views.

I think Tom Cruise is nuts in his personal life and I don't support/agree with Scientology, but I love his movies. I feel the same way about Martin Sheen...I don't agree with his politics, but thinks he's great on film. The mob wants freedom of speech as long as that speech agrees with their views. The right did the same crap to the Dixie Chics. ...now, of course their situation was a little different because their fanbase was a very narrow group and you probably shouldn't crap where you eat, but again, it's the same thing.
People can shit on people if they want. He could continue making music with the band and if people turned away from him because of politics so be it.

Reactions: BelemNole
If you're serious, you're nuts. So are all the people that liked that.

That's not a reasonable response at all.

And if anybody has actually paid attention to Ngo, they'd know he's just another biased political actor in a sea of biased political actors. He does dig up legit -- yes, real, accurate stuff -- on Antifa and the like. Which is, uh.. fine? Nothing wrong with that. Yeah, Maga likes it -- so what?

But he also embellishes, leaves out context, and leads the reader to inaccurate conclusions at times. He's not exactly high quality information. You really have to quality check his stuff.

At any rate, there's so many political voices out there doing this sort of low quality work.

Some musician ringing the praises of one of them just says they're probably not too savvy in deciphering what's quality info in a sea of poli-tribal bullshit. But why would I care about a specific political view of some dumb musician anyway? You shouldn't either.
I am serious, but pretty much just about Andy Ngo in particular. We'd all be better off if we never heard his name again.

You say "the mob" but isn't just a bunch of individuals doing their own cost/benefit on whether they like his music more than his opinions, and deciding "no"?

Life is so much better when you don't care about any of this. I don't know what the Mumford and Sons guy said (beyond what was in that brief bit in OP), and I don't know who Andy Ngo is, and don't care enough to find out. If a Mumford and Sons sing comes on, I'll probably like enough to keep it on.

Pretty nice of his band to dump him at the first sign of a controversy that would have been over in 48 hours.

Last edited:

Is it possible that their fan bases are also a very narrow group and what he did was essentially crapping where you eat?'

Tom Cruise is an interesting one though. No one on the left or the right generally likes scientology because of their behavior towards those that leave or speak out against them. But scientologist actors don't really seem to face much backlash.

Reactions: NDallasRuss

This is very similar to the thread you started about the Dixie Chicks.
Oh wait, no it isn’t.
Those girls just took their lumps and kept on playing. This guy apparently got kicked out his band and is now making his rounds on aggrieved TV gaining sympathy from people like you and the rest of the “shut up and dribble” crowd.

So this guy has an opinion and gets "canceled".

"Congratulations @MrAndyNgo," Marshall said in his tweet, which he subsequently deleted. “Finally had the time to read your important book. You’re a brave man.”

He quit the band, so he wasn't cancelled.

This is very similar to the thread you started about the Dixie Chicks.
Oh wait, no it isn’t.
Those girls just took their lumps and kept on playing. This guy apparently got kicked out his band and is now making his rounds on aggrieved TV gaining sympathy from people like you and the rest of the “shut up and dribble” crowd.
I started a thread about the Dixie Chicks? That's a first heard for me.

You say "the mob" but isn't just a bunch of individuals doing their own cost/benefit on whether they like his music more than his opinions, and deciding "no"?
IMO "the mob" is when a group of people express their opinion loud enough that an employer, band, group, (insert whatever) feels the need to take action on it. Unless some sort of criminal or heinous act has occurred, why can't people just say [to themselves], "Well, I don't agree with that, so I'm done with [fill in the blank]"? Not sure why the need to end someone's career over a different opinion.

These are the same people who rush home to post in their SM feed, "To the person who cut me off in traffic today [insert 2 para tirade].

At least this place pretty much operates as intended; a place where people can discuss topics anonymously. I've never considered HROT/HORT social media.

If you are going to give your opinion about something then you need to be ready to deal with the consequences of that. If your livelihood involves getting other people to spend their money on your talent, like singing or acting or art or something else, then it's not a very good business decision to do things to piss off your potential customers. Michael Jordan got flack for saying, "Republicans buy shoes too", and I'll never understand that. He was absolutely correct and understood that publicly supporting certain political positions could risk the sales of his product.

Celebrities need to just not say anything controversial on social media. Or at least make an anonymous account if they really feel like they need to say their opinion that nobody asked for. It's part of their job whether they like it or not (and whether we like it or not). Interestingly enough, the line at awards shows is much farther. Evidently, spouting political opinions just gets people yelling at you on social media, but not cancelling you. You actually have to walk up on stage and hit someone for that.

Reactions: HawkMD
If you are going to give your opinion about something then you need to be ready to deal with the consequences of that. If your livelihood involves getting other people to spend their money on your talent, like singing or acting or art or something else, then it's not a very good business decision to do things to piss off your potential customers. Michael Jordan got flack for saying, "Republicans buy shoes too", and I'll never understand that. He was absolutely correct and understood that publicly supporting certain political positions could risk the sales of his product.

Celebrities need to just not say anything controversial on social media. Or at least make an anonymous account if they really feel like they need to say their opinion that nobody asked for. It's part of their job whether they like it or not (and whether we like it or not). Interestingly enough, the line at awards shows is much farther. Evidently, spouting political opinions just gets people yelling at you on social media, but not cancelling you. You actually have to walk up on stage and hit someone for that.
Solid point and the other side of this discussion. The celebrities who've decided to completely forgo social media, are genius in this day and age.

Reactions: BioHawk
I started a thread about the Dixie Chicks? That's a first heard for me.
You didn't. Why not?
They criticized the president and were booted from country radio overnight. Why weren't you there to protect them from being canceled?
This guy posted praise for an alt-right grifter and some people complained so he and his band decided it was best to go their separate ways. And here you are lamenting his troubles.
Why the difference?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT