ADVERTISEMENT

Former Obama SCOTUS lawyer supports Gorsuch

86Hawkeye

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2001
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/opinion/why-liberals-should-back-neil-gorsuch.html?_r=0

"I was an acting solicitor general for President Barack Obama; Judge Gorsuch has strong conservative bona fides and was appointed to the 10th Circuit by President George W. Bush. But I have seen him up close and in action, both in court and on the Federal Appellate Rules Committee (where both of us serve); he brings a sense of fairness and decency to the job, and a temperament that suits the nation’s highest court.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/opinion/why-liberals-should-back-neil-gorsuch.html?_r=0

"I was an acting solicitor general for President Barack Obama; Judge Gorsuch has strong conservative bona fides and was appointed to the 10th Circuit by President George W. Bush. But I have seen him up close and in action, both in court and on the Federal Appellate Rules Committee (where both of us serve); he brings a sense of fairness and decency to the job, and a temperament that suits the nation’s highest court.
Qualified and fair, and as long as there is no social agenda then what's not to support?

I remember a lot of consternation about the nomination of John Roberts, and he's turned out to be a good and fair justice. No judge is going to get 100% 'approval' from everybody, obviously including their fellow judges. But, that's actually why it's important to have a mix on the high court. I don't think it would be good if all 9 judges were clones of Scalia, but I also don't think it would be good if they were all like Ginsberg.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbq hawk 32
Trump may come to rue this pick. From what I have seen Gorsuch would reign in executive power.

Trump may come to rue this pick. From what I have seen Gorsuch would reign in executive power.

Not sure if it's only executive power. Gorsuch is very strict on separation of powers between all 3 branches.

I think there is an immigration case where Gorsuch struck down the Executive's retroactive act in favor of immigrants.

But he probably hates Muslims;)

Souter was originally opposed by NOW, NAACP, and many other liberal groups saying he was ultra right wing. Look how that turned out?
While I don't see Gorsuch leaning left in his decisions, nothing so far says he would come in and immediately pose a major risk to issues like abortion rights or same-sex marriage.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Souter was originally opposed by NOW, NAACP, and many other liberal groups saying he was ultra right wing. Look how that turned out?
While I don't see Gorsuch leaning left in his decisions, nothing so far says he would come in and immediately pose a major risk to issues like abortion rights or same-sex marriage.

I agree, but it's interesting that people get so concerned about abortion and gay marriage, when the dominant issues are likely to be totally different in 10, 15 or 20 years.

This is why there is no guarantee that SCOTUS nominees will turn out to rule exactly as expected. In fact, Souter is a fine example of a Justice that has turned out to be a lot different from what I think was expected.

Sign me up. Trump will be gone in 4 years anyway. This is a good thing so we don't have another Obama type who uses the Executive Branch has his personal perch over the rest of the federal government. We need to get back to true separation of powers in this country and realize our founding fathers intended for legislative branch to be the strongest of the three.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
I agree, but it's interesting that people get so concerned about abortion and gay marriage, when the dominant issues are likely to be totally different in 10, 15 or 20 years.

This is why there is no guarantee that SCOTUS nominees will turn out to rule exactly as expected. In fact, Souter is a fine example of a Justice that has turned out to be a lot different from what I think was expected.
Very true. Also, cases involving the hot-button social issues still have to go through the lower courts before even being considered by SCOTUS.

Qualified and fair, and as long as there is no social agenda than what's not to support?

I remember a lot of consternation about the nomination of John Roberts, and he's turned out to be a good and fair justice. No judge is going to get 100% 'approval' from everybody, obviously including their fellow judges. But, that's actually why it's important to have a mix on the high court. I don't think it would be good if all 9 judges were clones of Scalia, but I also don't think it would be good if they were all like Ginsberg.
a true conservation judge never supports a social agenda over the law. He is faithful to the Constitution and rule of law

a true conservation judge never supports a social agenda over the law. He is faithful to the Constitution and rule of law

Kind of like "true conservation (sic)" Justice Scalia joined the majority in SCOTUS' Shelby County opinion? An example of not pushing a social agenda and being faithful to the "role of law?"

Reactions: mstp1992
Look at us being all agreeable and calm.

noj5nd.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT