ADVERTISEMENT

Former Players v. Football Program *** Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
SMH. If this lawsuit gains these plaintiffs anything I think it will open a big door for future suits towards anyone that ever has their feelings hurt. Nowadays, there are plenty of people that have their precious feelings hurt by just about everything.

I don't think they win in a trial...but with the track record of the U of I legal team...I am not confident that something gigantically stupid could not happen either. Stand strong U of I.

Let's hope whoever is handling the U of Iowa's side at least roots out the cyclone fans during voir dire and not end up with one as the forewoman of jury like the Meyer trial...

Let's hope whoever is handling the U of Iowa's side at least roots out the cyclone fans during voir dire and not end up with one as the forewoman of jury like the Meyer trial...
If nobody from legal or HR faced severe repercussions than Iowa has issues. Barta took a lot of heat(deservedly) but he went forward with HR and legal signing off.

For real? If so, that is an elementary level mistake by the legal squad. So bad as to be laughable.

I'm not surprised. But I've worked with them before, so I understand how legal firms, consultants, etc., sometimes get hired at the U of I. Not all the time, not every time, but sometimes you just scratch your head, and the only question is, will this hit the media, and if so, how long will it take.

Not every time does it blow up, and most people only knows if it blows up. The amount of stupid stuff where nothing goes wring is astonishing. When nothing goes wrong they are more lucky than good. But when it goes wrong, it usually gets publicity.

All this said, my experience is limited to a fairly narrow scope, and the overall experience isn't a large sample size. Which makes me wonder just how bad it is on an ongoing basis, and how many times they get lucky.

Excellent points Jupiter.......
I remember the funeral thing. It wasn’t a parent or something. It was like a friend back home. Suppose it was a big deal to the kid but I think we must have determined Ed that it wasn’t a necessary trip and that maybe he was taking advantage of the situation. Or maybe there is WAY more to the story and the kid is full of shit and leaving out key details.

and just like that 5:20am Skirt fan is back with ID #67.

MGM Iowa has set the Over/Under at 5.5 new ID’s for him in the next 24 hours.

I have the over once again.

• Haha
Reactions: ButthurtIowaFans
I remember the funeral thing. It wasn’t a parent or something. It was like a friend back home. Suppose it was a big deal to the kid but I think we must have determined Ed that it wasn’t a necessary trip and that maybe he was taking advantage of the situation. Or maybe there is WAY more to the story and the kid is full of shit and leaving out key details.
A key player missed the Minny game in 2002, being allowed to attend his grandfather's funeral. IIRC. and I think I am.

• Haha
Reactions: AlwaysPunkIowaFans
I don't doubt that at all, in junior high football it was common for our coaches to punish us for messing up by swinging a tackle dummy at your head, when your back was turned. Or break a clipboard over your head.
Yet, I never witnessed more than a couple grabs of a face guard cage to get a players attention in college football. or all years playing FB, or in HS playing BB, wrestling and Track...some face to face yelling matches and the occasional shaking about the shoulders. finger poking in the chest. Plenty of gut-buster and pushups, laps, stadium stairs punishments.

Not saying it isn't done in other places, that others didn't have coaches who did and that its all that honorably of an act....just that it isn't necessary. I think you get a lot more respect as a coach and positive effort from your players by keeping your cool and not loosing control or getting physical with your players.

Yet, I never witnessed more than a couple grabs of a face guard cage to get a players attention in college football. or all years playing FB, or in HS playing BB, wrestling and Track...some face to face yelling matches and the occasional shaking about the shoulders. finger poking in the chest. Plenty of gut-buster and pushups, laps, stadium stairs punishments.

Not saying it isn't done in other places, that others didn't have coaches who did and that its all that honorably of an act....just that it isn't necessary. I think you get a lot more respect as a coach and positive effort from your players by keeping your cool and not loosing control or getting physical with your players.
No doubt about it, I agree with your comments. My experience with this was nearly 50 years ago. And that particular coach/teacher was a certified psychopath. He was dismissed from the school district within 3 years, thankfully.

Reactions: BCRoss89

So with most coaches being the "coddlers" now, how has that played out? Are players getting in less trouble, are they accepting the rules and regulations that are set forth by the coaches\schools? Seems we have a much more entitled\"me" crowd.

Reactions: BCRoss89
So with most coaches being the "coddlers" now, how has that played out? Are players getting in less trouble, are they accepting the rules and regulations that are set forth by the coaches\schools? Seems we have a much more entitled\"me" crowd.
coaches are probably making sure the steaks are a little more well done to the american american's liking.

Reactions: obfuscating
They have a wealth of information about every school they choose, many starting as Sophomores in HS, they are exposed to a huge collection of highly skilled coaches and advisors, slick recruiters and salespeople, all skilled communicators, who are constantly instructing, teaching, pointing out the pluses, minuses and priority of every decision in front of them. They sure have more information available to them, and most have better than average grades, more than capable of processing the information especially tailored for their consumption.

Entitled or no, the modern day recruiting experience, from camps, combines, in school visits, home visits, game day visits, hosting player nights on the college town, interacting with all best and brightest a school has to offer is simply incredible learning experience. And now add in the NIL influence-rs. A highly compressed, intense learning experience that changes who they are, influences who they will become, regardless of the level of success they experience in there chosen sport.

Smarter? Maybe. Privileged with opportunity overflowing? Most definitely.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised. But I've worked with them before, so I understand how legal firms, consultants, etc., sometimes get hired at the U of I. Not all the time, not every time, but sometimes you just scratch your head, and the only question is, will this hit the media, and if so, how long will it take.

Not every time does it blow up, and most people only knows if it blows up. The amount of stupid stuff where nothing goes wring is astonishing. When nothing goes wrong they are more lucky than good. But when it goes wrong, it usually gets publicity.

All this said, my experience is limited to a fairly narrow scope, and the overall experience isn't a large sample size. Which makes me wonder just how bad it is on an ongoing basis, and how many times they get lucky.

Why would you expect any better from people at war with reality itself who also have vast sums of money?

They have a wealth of information about every school they choose, many starting as Sophomores in HS, they are exposed to a huge collection of highly skilled coaches and advisors, slick recruiters and salespeople, all skilled communicators, who are constantly instructing, teaching, pointing out the pluses, minuses and priority of every decision in front of them. They sure have more information available to them, and most have better than average grades, more than capable of processing the information especially tailored for their consumption.

Entitled or no, the modern day recruiting experience, from camps, combines, in school visits, home visits, game day visits, hosting player nights on the college town, interacting with all best and brightest a school has to offer is simply incredible learning experience. And now add in the NIL influence-rs. A highly compressed, intense learning experience that changes who they are, influences who they will become, regardless of the level of success they experience in there chosen sport.

You left out the best part. Then, if they're lucky they go on to a professional major league where they can publicly belittle the country that allowed some of them to become global celebrities and billionaires.

unless that was a fake picture of her and the kids decked out in mustard and ketchup in Jack Trice on her husband's facebook page.
The jury forewoman was indeed a Clown and posted something on Facebook DURING the trial about Iowa's case. Obvious juror misconduct, but apparently never pursued.

I am worried about using the AG's attorneys, if that is the case. Those are 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., no weekend guys who get paid the same, win or lose.

I am worried about using the AG's attorneys, if that is the case. Those are 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., no weekend guys who get paid the same, win or lose.
AG assistant attorneys and staff involved in the preparation and presentation of this case will not be keeping a time sheet but if you believe that they will not be working long stretches of time outside of office hours, you are seriously mistaken.

Reactions: David1979

Well said.

AG assistant attorneys and staff involved in the preparation and presentation of this case will not be keeping a time sheet but if you believe that they will not be working long stretches of time outside of office hours, you are seriously mistaken.
They are more into trying to sue some company for damages

Aurora has been conspicuously absent from this thread. Any legal moves occurring?

The combination of actual paying work and my being obsessed with college baseball RPI and whether the Iowa baseball team can earn an at-large bid has kept me from spending any time on the docket.

A deposition finished early today and I had to check the federal docket on one of my cases in the SDIA and it reminded me to take a peek at what is happening in the former players case.

This is what currently remains pending in front of the court:
1. Players' Motion to compel more complete discovery responses from the University of Iowa. Judge Rose presided over a hearing on that motion on March 11th. The motion was filed in January and briefed in February. No ruling has yet to be issued by Judge Rose.
2. Players' Motion to compel production of Husch Blackwell documents. Same time line. Motion filed in January; briefing in February and hearing occurred on March 11th. On March 4th, the U of Iowa submitted the Husch Blackwell documents for Judge Rose to review in advance of the March 11th hearing. No ruling has yet to be issued by Judge Rose.
3. Players' Motion to add parties. This was rehashed a bit earlier in this thread. Plaintiffs want to bring Barta and Ferentz back into the case and add Seth Wallace as a defendant. This motion was filed on April 8th. The U of Iowa defendants have resisted the motion (filed on April 22nd). Plaintiffs moved for an extension of time to file their reply in support and were granted until May 11th to file a reply brief. The May 11th deadline passed without a reply brief being filed. Judge Rose has yet to rule on whether the Players can add Ferentz and Barta back into the case and add Seth Wallace.
4. Players' Motion for extension of time to disclose experts and expert reports. This motion was filed on April 29th. The U of Iowa defendants filed a resistance on May 5th. Plaintiffs' experts/expert disclosures were due on May 2nd. Judge Rose has not yet ruled. That date has obviously passed. I cannot imagine that Judge Rose will not allow some type of extension in light of what remains pending in discovery.

A status conference was held on 4/27/22. There is a transcript generated of that conference. It is just not available on-line yet. However, the parties filed an "agenda" for that conference. The "agenda" identified a need to discuss:
a. the need to extend deadlines for experts/expert reports (hence the 4/29/22 motion for extension)
b. the status of discovery
c. the status on where the Court stood with getting a ruling on the pending motions (#1, #2 and #3 above). Interestingly, there is reference to the U of Iowa defendants claiming that the "window" for deposing coaches "closes at the end of June." Presumably, this refers to the ramping up of the football season.

My take?
The scheduling order is a mess. I expect the Court to re-set a number of the discovery/expert deadlines. I'm stunned that Judge Rose hasn't ruled on the motions to compel and for production of Husch Blackwell documents yet. I cannot envision a good reason why she hasn't been able to get an opinion filed. Regardless of what you think of the Plaintiffs' claims, the progress (or lack thereof) of the case is being held up by the failure of the court to get those rulings out. I'm not going to look it up now but I believe that federal judges have to report to an administrator in D.C. any motions that remain pending after 90 days. The motions to compel would hit the 90 day threshold around June 11th. I'm sure that Judge Rose wants to avoid that.
Whether the U of Iowa can "close the window" on coaches' deposition unilaterally or whether the depositions can be completed by the end of June are good questions. Something's gotta give. I have a hard time believing that Judge Rose wants the case to go "dark" again during the football season. Thus, I have to believe that she'll try to get rulings out and force the coaches to be deposed in late June/early July.
As for the effort to add parties back into the case and add Seth Wallace, the U of Iowa's counsel's resistance claims that every single claim is barred by the statute of limitations. On its face, it appears that the U of Iowa's position is strong and well-reasoned Moreover, I note that (a) Plaintiffs sought and obtained an extension of time to file a reply brief but (b) let that deadline pass without filing anything. The absence of such a filing strongly suggests (at least to me) that Plaintiffs couldn't come up with counter-arguments. Don't hold me to this but my feeling - at this juncture - is that the Court will deny the motion to add Wallace as a defendant and will deny the request to bring Ferentz and Barta back in as defendants.

The combination of actual paying work and my being obsessed with college baseball RPI and whether the Iowa baseball team can earn an at-large bid has kept me from spending any time on the docket.

A deposition finished early today and I had to check the federal docket on one of my cases in the SDIA and it reminded me to take a peek at what is happening in the former players case.

1. Players' Motion to compel more complete discovery responses from the University of Iowa. Judge Rose presided over a hearing on that motion on March 11th. The motion was filed in January and briefed in February. No ruling has yet to be issued by Judge Rose.
2. Players' Motion to compel production of Husch Blackwell documents. Same time line. Motion filed in January; briefing in February and hearing occurred on March 11th. On March 4th, the U of Iowa submitted the Husch Blackwell documents for Judge Rose to review in advance of the March 11th hearing. No ruling has yet to be issued by Judge Rose.
3. Players' Motion to add parties. This was rehashed a bit earlier in this thread. Plaintiffs want to bring Barta and Ferentz back into the case and add Seth Wallace as a defendant. This motion was filed on April 8th. The U of Iowa defendants have resisted the motion (filed on April 22nd). Plaintiffs moved for an extension of time to file their reply in support and were granted until May 11th to file a reply brief. The May 11th deadline passed without a reply brief being filed. Judge Rose has yet to rule on whether the Players can add Ferentz and Barta back into the case and add Seth Wallace.
4. Players' Motion for extension of time to disclose experts and expert reports. This motion was filed on April 29th. The U of Iowa defendants filed a resistance on May 5th. Plaintiffs' experts/expert disclosures were due on May 2nd. Judge Rose has not yet ruled. That date has obviously passed. I cannot imagine that Judge Rose will not allow some type of extension in light of what remains pending in discovery.

A status conference was held on 4/27/22. There is a transcript generated of that conference. It is just not available on-line yet. However, the parties filed an "agenda" for that conference. The "agenda" identified a need to discuss:
a. the need to extend deadlines for experts/expert reports (hence the 4/29/22 motion for extension)
c. the status on where the Court stood with getting a ruling on the pending motions (#1, #2 and #3 above). Interestingly, there is reference to the U of Iowa defendants claiming that the "window" for deposing coaches "closes at the end of June." Presumably, this refers to the ramping up of the football season.

My take?
The scheduling order is a mess. I expect the Court to re-set a number of the discovery/expert deadlines. I'm stunned that Judge Rose hasn't ruled on the motions to compel and for production of Husch Blackwell documents yet. I cannot envision a good reason why she hasn't been able to get an opinion filed. Regardless of what you think of the Plaintiffs' claims, the progress (or lack thereof) of the case is being held up by the failure of the court to get those rulings out. I'm not going to look it up now but I believe that federal judges have to report to an administrator in D.C. any motions that remain pending after 90 days. The motions to compel would hit the 90 day threshold around June 11th. I'm sure that Judge Rose wants to avoid that.
Whether the U of Iowa can "close the window" on coaches' deposition unilaterally or whether the depositions can be completed by the end of June are good questions. Something's gotta give. I have a hard time believing that Judge Rose wants the case to go "dark" again during the football season. Thus, I have to believe that she'll try to get rulings out and force the coaches to be deposed in late June/early July.
As for the effort to add parties back into the case and add Seth Wallace, the U of Iowa's counsel's resistance claims that every single claim is barred by the statute of limitations. On its face, it appears that the U of Iowa's position is strong and well-reasoned Moreover, I note that (a) Plaintiffs sought and obtained an extension of time to file a reply brief but (b) let that deadline pass without filing anything. The absence of such a filing strongly suggests (at least to me) that Plaintiffs couldn't come up with counter-arguments. Don't hold me to this but my feeling - at this juncture - is that the Court will deny the motion to add Wallace as a defendant and will deny the request to bring Ferentz and Barta back in as defendants.
Thanks so much for you time and effort on this Aurora. I have for the most part enjoyed the baseball se again. Hope the Hawks get over the hump and get a sweep starting tomorrow night with IU.

Go Hawks!!

Docket #77: (1/5/22): Well . . . looks like another new attorney for the Plaintiffs. This time, attorney Christian Dennie from Barlow, Gosek & Simon in Ft. Worth, Texas is seeking admission for the purpose of representing the Plaintiffs in this case. Bio: https://bgsfirm.com/attorney-profiles-christian-s-dennie/ Simply by looking at his biography, it seems clear that Mr. Dennie is getting involved in this case due to his experience with these type of issues. I note with interest that he used to work in the athletic departments of University of Oklahoma and the University of Missouri. If memory serves, Plaintiffs' "lead" counsel, Damario Solomon-Simmons is a former University of Oklahoma football player. Perhaps there is a connection . . . who knows? Regardless, Mr. Dennie's bio doesn't scream "I want to sue universities." He also serves as a mediator. My initial take? This is an attorney who will probably command some attention. Looks like he knows how to try a case (I don't believe that Mr. Solomon-Simmons has much, if any, trial experience) and will understand "how the sausage is actually made." Interesting. (This is the docket entry that grabbed my attention more than any other entry.

FWIW: This is from an earlier post. I read some snippets of deposition testimony provided by Cooper and Parker which were filed as part of the U of Iowa defendants' resistance to the motion to add parties.

I note that the lawyer identified above, Christian Dennie, presented the two players for deposition. Cooper was deposed on 3/23. Parker was deposed on 3/29. As hinted at above and in earlier posts, Solomon-Simmons isn't a trial lawyer. Exceedingly clear that Dennie was added to the case because he is an actual trial lawyer.

Thanks so much for you time and effort on this Aurora. I have for the most part enjoyed the baseball se again. Hope the Hawks get over the hump and get a sweep starting tomorrow night with IU.

Go Hawks!!

From your lips to God's ears.

I'm pulling for a sweep but hoping winning 7 of 8 series against B1G teams (losing a series only to Illinois in a Saturday heartbreaker when they had lead in T9 with 2 outs and 2 strikes) will be enough to convince the committee to extend an at-large bid. (They'd likely need to make some noise in the B1G tournament as well).

My take?
Paying work is so over rated :)
Headed to the game tomorrow to start the sweep. Your efforts are much appreciated on both fronts.

From your lips to God's ears.

I'm pulling for a sweep but hoping winning 7 of 8 series against B1G teams (losing a series only to Illinois in a Saturday heartbreaker when they had lead in T9 with 2 outs and 2 strikes) will be enough to convince the committee to extend an at-large bid. (They'd likely need to make some noise in the B1G tournament as well).
Ok Aurora, that was crazy. Hawks down 13-2 and come back to win 30-16. Amazing!!!

Man...this is getting downright weird. From a timing /judicial economy standpoint it sure looks like they could be doing depos "in season" unless the court really wants to put this off. Apparently neither party is pushing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT