ADVERTISEMENT

Former Players v. Football Program *** Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be spending time at the US So Dist courthouse in DSM tomorrow. Do some gossiping and see if anyone I know has lose lips. Probably nothing to report but ... you never know.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
Getting free lawyers that are hoping for a big payday
iu

Lawyers leak?
No one I ran into today had anything to share, or at least would be in a position to share. Lawyers rarely betray privileges, and I mean very rarely, but they do gossip about non privileged or confidential matters.

This may be controversial but...lawyers are just humans too.

No one I ran into today had anything to share, or at least would be in a position to share. Lawyers rarely betray privileges, and I mean very rarely, but they do gossip about non privileged or confidential matters.

This may be controversial but...lawyers are just humans too.
Controversial? Some would say it isn’t even true 🤣

Did KF and BF get deposed? If so, will there depositions be made public?

Next monthly case progress review with the Judge 1/19 (Friday). Judge wants to see more progress. What if he/she doesn't see adequate progress? What does that progress look like?

Finally, is there a similar thread that has replaced this one on On3 Hawkeye Report OR do we want to leave this here?

Last edited:
Saw a question above. I didn't look at the docket but I assume there is a protective order in place that prevents the public disclosure of discovery materials. So the only parts of the depositions the public will see are the attachments to motions/resistances. In this case, for example, the plaintiffs might attach copies of KF/BF depositions in resistance to defendants motions for summary judgment.

I kind of hope we see a trial now. Let’s take a peak behind the iowa football curtain. I honestly think the press conference today means that this lawsuit is settling. Only way Brian isn’t offensive coordinator next season is if this goes to trial. Kirk won’t let that happen.

Reactions: FatBrian4Prez
Win or lose or settle or whatever. Dragging this lawsuit out is hurting iowa football immensely. Only good things can come from getting this done, no matter what the outcome.

• Haha
I believe that the truth needs to be heard and seen. A settlement would be really disappointing to me.
I think we already know everything that “allegedly” happened. It just comes down to if a jury of Iowans feel that those allegations, if true, rise to discrimination. Either way, it’s holding back the iowa football program and needs to be in the rear view mirror. Timing couldn’t have worked any better for the plaintiffs, they have a ton of more leverage than they did before this season.

I think we already know everything that “allegedly” happened. It just comes down to if a jury of Iowans feel that those allegations, if true, rise to discrimination. Either way, it’s holding back the iowa football program and needs to be in the rear view mirror. Timing couldn’t have worked any better for the plaintiffs, they have a ton of more leverage than they did before this season.
The ‘allegations’ seem very similar to the ‘discipline’ that coach prime put in at Colorado. Can’t quite put my finger on the differences

I am somewhat hopeful that the grifters win this lawsuit. It is the only way to break up the NepU cartel at this point.
That is insane. It would be catastrophic in recruiting where the NIL catastrophe will cause our extinction soon enough.

When you hate the coaches so much you want to not only destroy their lives, but every Iowa athletic team, the University and the state generally, and victory to a cause you believe to be false, just to create a football coaching change to your liking you are either extremely wicked and dangerously narcissistic or extraordinarily shortsighted. My use of hate is not the vernacular "haters" expression. Your ideation and expression reveal you actual bear personal malice and actual personal hatred of the Ferentzes. Your mind would not have formed that thought if you didn't personally hate the Ferentzes.

I hope you typed that post in a moment of hyperbolic excitement. Forming the idea in the first place is problematic. Completely devoid of not only rational thought but vicious in a desire for personal emotional gratification. This is the point at which the crazed dialogue becomes too hateful, indecent and destructive to go without comment.

Last edited:
What is the additional leverage the plaintiffs would have garnered over the season? Are you suggesting that our poor offensive showing would result in jurors changing the verdict in this case?
That's a pure projection on your part if that is what you are implying.

What is the additional leverage the plaintiffs would have garnered over the season? Are you suggesting that our poor offensive showing would result in jurors changing the verdict in this case?
That's a pure projection on your part if that is what you are implying.
The additional leverage is that the fan base is not happy and Brian’s stock can’t go any lower. Brian Ferentz is not judged by his performance on the field. If somehow this goes to trial and the plaintiffs get some type of positive verdict, can Brian survive that? I’d think it would just amplify this mess even more. And it’s the only possible thing keeping him from being the offensive coordinator in 2023 if he wants to be.
Don’t know if the plaintiffs have a great chance, but judging by how athletic department lawsuits were handled in the past, who knows.

The jury will be composed of the south-eastern quarter of Iowa. They would have been far wiser to file under just Iowa law and keep the case in Johnson County. They might have been forced into federal court by expiration of the statute of limitations on the state claims.

They won't find a friendly juror anywhere but Johnson and Scott Counties. The case is a dog. If the AG is controlling the litigation, they will hit plaintiffs even harder. Everyone should read the defendants' motions for summary judgments and the plaintiffs' discovery answers and deposition answers. The allegations of the complaint do not appear defensible. Moreover, when asked about specific events and the factual basis for their claims plaintiffs gave generic nonspecific interrogatory answers with some conclusory rather than specific facts. When deposed plaintiffs recanted even the interrogatory answers and essentially admitted there are no specific facts to support the factual allegations for what we'd call the gravamen of the Complaint.

The idea that the crazed anti Ferentz attitude expressed relentlessly here and message board has bled into the larger community is simply wrong, especially for people on casually interested in Iowa football. The jury pool has only become more conservative and resistant to race baiting and grievance hustling. Plaintiffs have no more leverage now than any other time. Indeed less. I cannot remember if the AG or insurance is defending the case but the new AG will be much more aggressive in defense.​

Last edited:
The additional leverage is that the fan base is not happy and Brian’s stock can’t go any lower. Brian Ferentz is not judged by his performance on the field. If somehow this goes to trial and the plaintiffs get some type of positive verdict, can Brian survive that? I’d think it would just amplify this mess even more. And it’s the only possible thing keeping him from being the offensive coordinator in 2023 if he wants to be.
Don’t know if the plaintiffs have a great chance, but judging by how athletic department lawsuits were handled in the past, who knows.
It will destroy the University and badly damage the image of our state if plaintiff prevail on any claim. I don't think anyone is changing their verdict because message board King Kongs pour obsessive hatred or dissatisfaction at him a few hundred times a week on a handful of message boards.

Plaintiffs should take whatever money they can get and run.

The damage is already done. Brian, Kirk, Doyle, Ui attorneys, Barta, and the UI marketing team have already buried the University/football program with so much negative recruiting material and bad optics that there is no easy way to recover from it.

It doesn't matter if the lawsuit is legitimate or not at this point. There is no winning in this scenario. Losing the lawsuit opens the doors to quickly flush the system and start over. Winning the lawsuit will give reporters plenty of additional info and looks inside camp Ferentz that I doubt will be seen as a good thing. Like how the diversity committee experiment turned out when outsiders were brought in house. Kirk can't stand criticism and he can't stand not having complete control. This lawsuit and the reporters covering it will be 100% out of his control.

A fresh start or a prolonged decay back to 70's irrelevance are your options at this point.

Sadly, there are a lot of "Iowa fans" that would be 100% content to slide back to the 70's if it meant they could white knight for multimillionaire who doesn't give two shits that they even exist. To each their own I suppose.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Frosty7130
Wow...you guys really hate the Ferentz to root for the University to lose.
I'm rooting for truth and accountability. Two things that we will never get voluntarily from within the Iowa athletic dept as long as Kirk and his sidekick Gary are in charge. Wednesday was further proof of that

If they didn't do anything wrong you'd think the Ferentz crew would be looking forward to their day in court

It will destroy the University and badly damage the image of our state if plaintiff prevail on any claim. I don't think anyone is changing their verdict because message board King Kongs pour obsessive hatred or dissatisfaction at him a few hundred times a week on a handful of message boards.

Plaintiffs should take whatever money they can get and run.
Leverage has nothing to do with people changing their verdict because of what they think of the Ferentz’s. Leverage is the plaintiff’s attorneys knowing that this lawsuit is the only thing that could possibly hurt Brian. Like someone above posted, there is simply no winning at this point. A trial, win or lose, is not going to paint the program in a flattering light.

Ok
Leverage has nothing to do with people changing their verdict because of what they think of the Ferentz’s. Leverage is the plaintiff’s attorneys knowing that this lawsuit is the only thing that could possibly hurt Brian. Like someone above posted, there is simply no winning at this point. A trial, win or lose, is not going to paint the program in a flattering light.
So you are suggesting that if Iowa's offense had a good year the plaintiffs attorneys would have changed strategies and dropped the suit?
I disagree.
No doubt the lawsuit is a negative for the program but our recruiting has been strong since it was filed.
It is quickly becoming ancient history to 17 year old recruits. They talk with current players who have enjoyed their experience at Iowa. If new allegations surface from current players that would be bad.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Ok
So you are suggesting that if Iowa's offense had a good year the plaintiffs attorneys would have changed strategies and dropped the suit?
I disagree.
No doubt the lawsuit is a negative for the program but our recruiting has been strong since it was filed.
It is quickly becoming ancient history to 17 year old recruits. They talk with current players who have enjoyed their experience at Iowa. If new allegations surface from current players that would be bad.
Nice straw man. All the negative publicity is good leverage for the plaintiffs because win or lose this will be more negative publicity. That would drive up the settlement figure.

And recruiting offensively is being destroyed just fine by our current staff, just look at Proctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT