ADVERTISEMENT

Former Players v. Football Program *** Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checked the on-line docket. Still no ruling issued by Judge Rose. No activity since the Defendants filed their Reply Brief on Friday, March 19th.

As mentioned in Post #196, it is my opinion that we should be seeing a ruling in the relatively near future. I'm hoping that it comes out at some point this week. With the next status conference set for 5/11, I'd like to think that Judge Rose would get her opinion filed before that conference and, ideally, about 10 days in advance to allow the parties to digest the ruling and its potential implications going forward in the case.

I'll likely be checking on a daily basis this week (I'm working out-of-state) but won't be posting anything until Friday if there are no updates.

What a great 4 candidates, really showed how diverse the University preaches it is..."do as I say, not as I do" liberal BS on display.

Not exactly sure how this fits into the thread . . . maybe it should be relegated to that lengthy thread where posters were posting who they wanted to be the next President of the University of Iowa and critically examining the credentials of those who applied for the job.

Wait, what's that?

There wasn't such a thread?

Well . . . maybe just add it to the thread that was critical of who was selected to serve on the 21 person Presidential Search Committee . . . wait, what's that? There wasn't a thread on that either?

Ok . . . just add it to the thread which was critical of the UI hiring a third party search firm with experience in conducting searches for university presidents - AGB Search - to assist in identifying candidates . . . what? . . . come on . . . you don't say . . . there isn't a thread on that either?

Curious.

Not exactly sure how this fits into the thread . . . maybe it should be relegated to that lengthy thread where posters were posting who they wanted to be the next President of the University of Iowa and critically examining the credentials of those who applied for the job.

Wait, what's that?

Well . . . maybe just add it to the thread that was critical of who was selected to serve on the 21 person Presidential Search Committee . . . wait, what's that? There wasn't a thread on that either?

Ok . . . just add it to the thread which was critical of the UI hiring a third party search firm with experience in conducting searches for university presidents - AGB Search - to assist in identifying candidates . . . what? . . . come on . . . you don't say . . . there isn't a thread on that either?

Curious.
Thank you.

Wait, what's that?

Curious.

Well, could not the new Prez be less accommodating to existing staff when it comes to this case? Is Barta's seat gonna be warm because of it? With Harreld you would say hell no, but new Prez sez?

Well, could not the new Prez be less accommodating to existing staff when it comes to this case? Is Barta's seat gonna be warm because of it? With Harreld you would say hell no, but new Prez sez?

The post to which I responded offered zero commentary on whether Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz, Gary Barta or anyone else in the AD may or may not have his/her job security impacted by how this lawsuit played out. It had something to do with what is perceived as . . . and I quote . . . "'do as I say not as I do' liberal BS."

The post to which I responded offered zero commentary on whether Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz, Gary Barta or anyone else in the AD may or may not have his/her job security impacted by how this lawsuit played out. It had something to do with what is perceived as . . . and I quote . . . "'do as I say not as I do' liberal BS."
The whole issue of "do as I say, not as I do" isn't any less common among liberals than conservatives [that's a life-experience observation].

Frankly, both extremes are too infuriating given how dogmatic and uncooperative they are. Adhering too much to a dogmatic stance shows stubborn pigheadedness far more than it demonstrates morals or wisdom.

At risk of sounding like a scratched record, I just checked the docket. Still no ruling on the pending Motion to Dismiss from Judge Rose. About the best I have to offer is "it should be any day now."

"Any day now" did not include Monday, May 3rd. Morning docket check reveals no additional filings by the close of the day.

The next scheduled court date is Tuesday, May 11th for a status/scheduling conference - meaning that the parties are now one week away from their next scheduled court appearance.

I've noted several times that I would be surprised if Judge Rose doesn't issue her ruling prior to that conference. When Magistrate Judge Adams continued the initial status/scheduling conference on March 15th to May 11th, I surmised that she figured that Judge Rose would have a ruling on file prior to the May 11th conference. Defendants' Reply Brief was filed on March 22nd so that matter has been fully submitted for just over 5 weeks.

I still expect a ruling before the May 11th status/scheduling conference and I'll go on record noting that I will be surprised if Judge Rose fails to do so. It certainly would not be unprecedented but, given the issues and the lengthy briefing filed during the pendency of both motions to dismiss, I would expect that Judge Rose would have been able to finalize a ruling in a six and one-half week time frame.

If she doesn't get a ruling on file, I would expect that Magistrate Judge Adams would, once again, postpone the May 11th status/scheduling conference. I wouldn't expect it to be postponed a full two months this time. Maybe a 28-30 day continuance. I note that the parties have not filed a proposed scheduling order with the court (which, under the applicable procedural rules, is required by the parties unless "excused" by the court - which happened in mid-March). This is a sure "tell" that the court does not expect any proposed schedule until Judge Rose has issued her ruling.

Tick tock. Tick tock. Will likely check later tonight or first thing tomorrow a.m.

Aurora - quick question. Anyway this whole thing could drag out till football season? I would wonder how that would play out with coaches having to go testify rather than coach their football team.

Aurora - quick question. Anyway this whole thing could drag out till football season? I would wonder how that would play out with coaches having to go testify rather than coach their football team.

I feel confident in stating that there is 0% chance that this case will be completely wrapped up by the beginning of football season. Even if Judge Rose grants Defendants' Motion to Dismiss in its entirety (meaning no Counts of the Amended Complaint survive), Plaintiffs will inevitably appeal Judge Rose's ruling to the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals. There is no way that an appeal will "run its course" by late August or September.

I'm not particularly confident that all Counts of the Amended Complaint will be dismissed. Regardless of whether there is much "merit" to the allegations or if the allegations seem "thin," a judge MUST construe all allegations as being true and accurate when ruling on a Motion to Dismiss. Winning a motion to dismiss on applicable law (i.e. has the statute of limitations run) is a far different question then whether there are sufficient facts pled to support a cause of action. It is not the judge's job to weigh evidence or consider the merits of competing allegations. She will simply rule based upon the assumption that everything alleged by these Plaintiffs is true and accurate. If that is enough to get past the Motion to Dismiss, it is then incumbent upon the Plaintiffs to actually introduce evidence supporting the allegations and for the Defendants to introduce evidence refuting the allegations.

So . . . short answer . . . this case will still be around in some shape or form when the ball is first teed up in Kinnick Stadium this fall.

Wait, what's that?

Curious.
FlakyJealousBarnacle-size_restricted.gif

It's 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 5th and I just checked the electronic docket. No ruling filed today. I'll check again tomorrow. Tick tock.

EDIT: I just checked the docket again just now. No new late night filings. That written, I would not be particularly surprised if the parties jointly file a motion to postpone the May 11th status/scheduling conference if Judge Rose doesn't get a ruling on file. If a scheduling order was impractical in mid-March due to the pending Motion to Dismiss, nothing has changed and one would expect another postponement would be proper.

Last edited:
Reactions: iowahaha1
Judge Rose issued her ruling sometime earlier today. She granted portions of the Motion to Dismiss and denied portions of the Motions to Dismiss. I'll edit this post in a bit after reading the ruling and taking notes. Short answer . . . some of the claims have survived and this case will be going forward for some plaintiffs and some defendants.

Instead of editing my earlier post, I'm going to summarize the opinion here.

Reminder:
Named Plaintiffs: Akrum Wadley, Jonathan Parker, Aaron Mends, Marcel Joly, Maurice Fleming, Reggie Spearman, Kevonte Martin-Manley, Darian Cooper, Laron Taylor, Brandon Simon, Javon Foy, Andre Harris and Terrance Harris.
Named Defendants: University of Iowa, Board of Regents, Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz, Gary Barta, Chris Doyle, Raymond Braithwaite

Docket Entry #31 -
Count I - Racially Hostile Environment
. This count was only alleged on behalf of Aaron Mends, Javon Foy and Brandon Simon. The only named defendants are the University of Iowa and the Board of Regents.

The Defendants contended that a two year statute of limitations ("SOL") applied to the Plaintiff's claims. Plaintiffs Mends, Simon and Foy contended that a four year statute of limitations applied to their claims. Judge Rose concluded that a four year statute of limitations applies to the claims. Foy, Mends and Simon's claims would have been time barred if a 2 year SOL applied but not if a 4 year SOL applied.

Defendants also contended that the allegations in the Complaint did not give allege a sufficiently factual basis for a claim to proceed on a theory of racially hostile environment. Judge Rose disagreed (in face, the language she used suggests that she vehemently disagreed).

Thus, Count I survives the Motion to Dismiss and Aaron Mends, Javon Foy and Brandon Simon's claim that they were subjected to a racially hostile environment will move forward.

Count II - Retaliation. This count was alleged only on behalf of Aaron Mends and he claimed that he was retaliated against for complaining about disparate treatment of black players versus white players. The only named defendants were the University of Iowa and the Board of Regents.

Judge Rose concluded that there were not sufficient facts alleged to support a claim for retaliation.

Count II was dismissed.

Count III - Systemic Pattern and Practice of Discrimination. This count was alleged only on behalf of Mends, Foy and Simon. The only named defendants were the University of Iowa and the Board of Regents.

Judge Rose concluded that there were not sufficient facts alleged to support a claim for Systemic Pattern and Practice of Discrimination.

Count III was dismissed.

Count IV - Deprivations of Rights under Section 1981.
This count included not only claims by Mends, Foy and Simon but also Akrum Wadley, Jonathan Parker, Marcel Joly and Darian Cooper. Defendants named were Gary Barta, Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz and Chris Doyle. In their last pleading before the Court entered this Order, Plaintiffs agreed to voluntarily dismiss Gary Barta. Thus, the question before the Court was whether Count IV stated a cause of action against Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz and Chris Doyle.

Same SOL analysis employed by the Court for this count.

Judge Rose found that there were sufficient facts pled to allow a cause of action to go forward for Mends, Foy, Simon, Wadley, Parker, Joly and Cooper against ONLY Brian Ferentz and Chris Doyle. Judge Rose found insufficient allegations of fact to allow Count IV to stand against Kirk Ferentz.

Count IV dismissed as to Kirk Ferentz. Count IV survives for Mends, Foy, Simon, Wadley, Parker, Joly and Cooper against Brian Ferentz and Chris Doyle.

Count V - Conspiracy to Deprive Persons of Equal Protection. This count was alleged on behalf of all named players against Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz, Chris Doyle, Raymond Braithwaite and Gary Barta.

In its last filing before the Court ruled on the Motion to Dismiss, Plaintiffs agreed to voluntarily dismiss this Count.

Thus, Count V was dismissed.

Count VI - Conspiracy to Deprive Persons of Equal Protection under Section 1985.
This count was alleged on behalf of all named players against Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz and Chris Doyle only.

In its last filing before the Court ruled on the Motion to Dismiss, Plaintiffs agreed to voluntarily dismiss this Count.

Thus, Count VI was dismissed.

Count VII - Civil Rights Violation Failure to Train and Supervise.
This count was alleged on behalf of all named players against Kirk Ferentz and Gary Barta.

Judge Rose found that there was not a sufficient factual basis alleged to support the claim for a civil rights violation based upon a failure to train and supervise Brian Ferentz and/or Chris Doyle.

Thus, Count VII was dismissed.

Count VIII - Breach of Contract.
This claim was brought on behalf of all of the players against the University of Iowa, the Board of Regents, Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz, Gary Barta and Chris Doyle.

Judge Rose found that the factual allegations did not support a claim for the existence of any enforceable contract.

Thus, Count VIII was dismissed.

End result? The case will now go forward on:
Count I: Foy, Mends and Simon against the University of Iowa and the Board of Regents on a Racially Hostile Environment theory.
Count IV: Foy, Mends, Simon, Wadley, Parker, Cooper and Joly against Brian Ferentz and Chris Doyle on a Section 1981 Deprivation of Rights theory.

Maurice Fleming, Reggie Spearman, Kevonte Martin-Manley, Laron Taylor, Andre Harris and Terrance Harris no longer have existing claims.

Kirk Ferentz, Gary Barta and Raymond Braithwaite are no longer defendants.

The May 11th Scheduling Conference remains in place and I'd anticipate that the Court will enter a scheduling order and will set the case for trial (likely sometime in mid to late 2022).

Given that both Count I and Count IV are advancing based, in part, on the Court's ruling that those claims are governed by a four year and not a two year SOL, I suppose that it is possible for the remaining defendants to seek an interlocutory appeal to the 8th Circuit. I've done some appellate work but don't consider myself to be an appellate "guru." Thus, I'd have to do some digging as to whether that may be a viable option.

Will try to offer more thoughts later . . . . I'm out for now.

Last edited:

Reminder:
Named Plaintiffs: Akrum Wadley, Jonathan Parker, Aaron Mends, Marcel Joly, Maurice Fleming, Reggie Spearman, Kevonte Martin-Manley, Darian Cooper, Laron Taylor, Brandon Simon, Javon Foy, Andre Harris and Terrance Harris.
Named Defendants: University of Iowa, Board of Regents, Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz, Gary Barta, Chris Doyle, Raymond Braithwaite

Count I - Racially Hostile Environment. This count was only alleged on behalf of Aaron Mends, Javon Foy and Brandon Simon. The only named defendants are the University of Iowa and the Board of Regents.

The Defendants contended that a two year statute of limitations ("SOL") applied to the Plaintiff's claims. Plaintiffs Mends, Simon and Foy contended that a four year statute of limitations applied to their claims. Judge Rose concluded that a four year statute of limitations applies to the claims. Foy, Mends and Simon's claims would have been time barred if a 2 year SOL applied but not if a 4 year SOL applied.

Defendants also contended that the allegations in the Complaint did not give allege a sufficiently factual basis for a claim to proceed on a theory of racially hostile environment. Judge Rose disagreed (in face, the language she used suggests that she vehemently disagreed).

Thus, Count I survives the Motion to Dismiss and Aaron Mends, Javon Foy and Brandon Simon's claim that they were subjected to a racially hostile environment will move forward.

Count II - Retaliation. This count was alleged only on behalf of Aaron Mends and he claimed that he was retaliated against for complaining about disparate treatment of black players versus white players. The only named defendants were the University of Iowa and the Board of Regents.

Judge Rose concluded that there were not sufficient facts alleged to support a claim for retaliation.

Count II was dismissed.

Count III - Systemic Pattern and Practice of Discrimination. This count was alleged only on behalf of Mends, Foy and Simon. The only named defendants were the University of Iowa and the Board of Regents.

Judge Rose concluded that there were not sufficient facts alleged to support a claim for Systemic Pattern and Practice of Discrimination.

Count III was dismissed.

This count included not only claims by Mends, Foy and Simon but also Akrum Wadley, Jonathan Parker, Marcel Joly and Darian Cooper. Defendants named were Gary Barta, Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz and Chris Doyle. In their last pleading before the Court entered this Order, Plaintiffs agreed to voluntarily dismiss Gary Barta. Thus, the question before the Court was whether Count IV stated a cause of action against Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz and Chris Doyle.

Judge Rose found that there were sufficient facts pled to allow a cause of action to go forward for Mends, Foy, Simon, Wadley, Parker, Joly and Cooper against ONLY Brian Ferentz and Chris Doyle. Judge Rose found insufficient allegations of fact to allow Count IV to stand against Kirk Ferentz.

Count IV dismissed as to Kirk Ferentz. Count IV survives for Mends, Foy, Simon, Wadley, Parker, Joly and Cooper against Brian Ferentz and Chris Doyle.

Count V - Conspiracy to Deprive Persons of Equal Protection. This count was alleged on behalf of all named players against Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz, Chris Doyle, Raymond Braithwaite and Gary Barta.

Count VI - Conspiracy to Deprive Persons of Equal Protection under Section 1985.
This count was alleged on behalf of all named players against Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz and Chris Doyle only.

This count was alleged on behalf of all named players against Kirk Ferentz and Gary Barta.

Judge Rose found that there was not a sufficient factual basis alleged to support the claim for a civil rights violation based upon a failure to train and supervise Brian Ferentz and/or Chris Doyle.

This claim was brought on behalf of all of the players against the University of Iowa, the Board of Regents, Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz, Gary Barta and Chris Doyle.

Judge Rose found that the factual allegations did not support a claim for the existence of any enforceable contract.

Count I: Foy, Mends and Simon against the University of Iowa and the Board of Regents on a Racially Hostile Environment theory.
Count IV: Foy, Mends, Simon, Wadley, Parker, Cooper and Joly against Brian Ferentz and Chris Doyle on a Section 1981 Deprivation of Rights theory.

Maurice Fleming, Reggie Spearman, Kevonte Martin-Manley, Laron Taylor, Andre Harris and Terrance Harris no longer have existing claims.

The May 11th Scheduling Conference remains in place and I'd anticipate that the Court will enter a scheduling order and will set the case for trial (likely sometime in mid to late 2022).

Given that both Count I and Count IV are advancing based, in part, on the Court's ruling that those claims are governed by a four year and not a two year SOL, I suppose that it is possible for the remaining defendants to seek an interlocutory appeal to the 8th Circuit. I've done some appellate work but don't consider myself to be an appellate "guru." Thus, I'd have to do some digging as to whether that may be a viable option.

Thanks so much for all your work on this AuroraHawk.

Reminder:

Count I - Racially Hostile Environment. This count was only alleged on behalf of Aaron Mends, Javon Foy and Brandon Simon. The only named defendants are the University of Iowa and the Board of Regents.

Count II was dismissed.

Count III was dismissed.

Thanks for the leg work.

As the lawyers here know, an interlocutory appeal is an appeal before the case is final as to that party.

Interesting question. Since it is a narrow issue that disposes of many remaining claims and defendants, and appears contrary to 8th circuit case law the court of appeals might hear the interlocutory appeal. But, as I tell clients, don't count on an appellate court taking up a permissive appeal even if the issue is extremely clear. Too much can happen before the case is final that eliminates the needs for any appeals.

Reminder:

Count II was dismissed.

Count III was dismissed.

Aurora you are awesome. Really appreciate you taking the time to explain this stuff

Reminder:

Count II was dismissed.

Count III was dismissed.

How much are you billing Hawkeye Report for this?!

Can anyone access these docs and if so can you provide a link? Also, the next date is 5/11? What happens then?

Thanks for the great analysis as always!

For Iowa is this a Good, Average, or Bad outcome?
From my knowledge I have derived from intro to business law 10 years ago) makes me think the original ruling could have gone better?

Reactions: iowahaha1
I really feel bad for Jonathan Parker....

He had to eat medium rare steak. He must have nightmares.

In all seriousness, this is pretty much what I expected. Some counts stay and some were tossed.

Very misleading title in HawkCentral article - "Court denies Iowa motion to dismiss". I think from what Aurora said above, out of 8 motions(?) 6 dismissed outright and 1 partially. So more than 80% was dismissed but COURT DENIES. Very biased!!!!

Reactions: dean_oliver222
So do the non-black players just not get harped at\criticized\mocked or do they just accept it as part of life and move on? i could pretty much guarantee that those that are suing have and do use degrading and racist language around each other far worse than what the coaches said... The "N" word is used heavily in the south and inner city by blacks, heck watch some of the tv shows and that is all you hear, including music as well and they all buy those sound tracks with anticipation and celebrate it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT