ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Dodge Recruiting Article

We all know how cyclical these wrestling powerhouses have become.

Now it's FD's time to shine. If the top kids from there end up in Ames, it marks a very lucky scenario for KD.

It's a good scenario for ISU. Guys like Lara are a hair behind where Iowa is aiming but he's a high potential recruit and could help them sway others like Teske and eventually Ayala.

Reactions: butchinmi
Is the Ayala a son of Sam? I think that was him name from early 90's? I asked this before and forgot. Which of the 3 Bennett boys does Drew belong to? I can't remember Lara's name, but similar time frame. There was also a Zuspan that was pretty good back then also. Rials? Any of them still have kids in the pipeline?

Were the Bennett's related to the Reilands? Or was that the Bruhls?

Figured there was some FD insider here that could fill in the blanks.

Is the Ayala a son of Sam? I think that was him name from early 90's? I asked this before and forgot. Which of the 3 Bennett boys does Drew belong to? I can't remember Lara's name, but similar time frame. There was also a Zuspan that was pretty good back then also. Rials? Any of them still have kids in the pipeline?

Joe Zuspann - was from Fort Dodge. Wrestled for Iowa State in the late 70's

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye

Bennett's dad was at one time an assistant coach at ICCC.

Is the Ayala a son of Sam? - Yes I think so

Which of the 3 Bennett boys does Drew belong to? Troy

Rials? Mark Rial an assistant coach at Iowa Central

Thanks guys.

The Zuspan from the 90's had a wicked lateral drop from what I remember.

Bennetts were not related to the Reilands (as far as I know) ... Mark Reiland (former Hawk) is the cousin of Brad Bruhl (former Hawk who transferred to UNI) ... I grew up with Danny Teske ... and Joe Bennett was a year behind me and lives in Ankeny ... Joe was a pretty tough wrestler back in the day ... Troy Bennett is an assistant wrestling coach at Iowa Central CC in FD (which has a very strong program and is led by former Hawk Luke Moffitt) ... Mark Rial is also an assistant wrestling coach at ICCC

I know Bruhl lives in Ankeny now and has one or two boys who wrestle (but they are pretty young) ... There were quite a few Ayala's in the FD area so not sure who the parents are ... and as for Zuspann ... didn't grow up with any Zuspanns but the family name is well known in the area and I know there were some good wrestlers/coaches in the bunch ...

Chad Zuspann?

Also, Joe Bennett who is in Ankeny now, has a couple of young wrestlers that are pretty good. And I believe Adam Fellers (former Dodger) may have a young wrestler that is pretty good as well.

Yes, Drake is Sam's son.

The Dodgers will be tough this year...then the cupboard begins to empty out. They do have some good ones in the pipeline but not at the "big 3's" level besides Drake. If SEP didn't bring in Runyon and Pritchard, Fort Dodge would have the title locked up.

Waukee could very well be in this position without some ego clashes/wrestle off drama/crazy/over bearing wrestling dad's. People forget last year's team could've included the likes of Barnes, Devos, Shapiro, Tracy from DCG, to go with Biscoglia, Anderson, Zach, and their other 3 qualifiers. That team brings home the gold trophy last winter and probably this winter as well.

The Dodgers will be tough this year...then the cupboard begins to empty out. They do have some good ones in the pipeline but not at the "big 3's" level besides Drake. If SEP didn't bring in Runyon and Pritchard, Fort Dodge would have the title locked up.

Waukee could very well be in this position without some ego clashes/wrestle off drama/crazy/over bearing wrestling dad's. People forget last year's team could've included the likes of Barnes, Devos, Shapiro, Tracy from DCG, to go with Biscoglia, Anderson, Zach, and their other 3 qualifiers. That team brings home the gold trophy last winter and probably this winter as well.
Southeast Polk should try harder to not win at wrestling.

Bennett released his top 5: Iowa, ISU, UNI, Northwestern and Oregon State.

He'd be a good catch for most of those teams. Not sure where he fits in as a starter at Iowa though.

Teske might not be a lock to start at Iowa and he's a notch higher than Bennett. Nothing against the kid. He could very well become a future All American. I actually like him a lot as a developmental prospect with his length. I just don't see him on the same level of Lee, Teasdale, RBY, Mejia, etc...

I just don't see him on the same level of Lee, Teasdale, RBY, Mejia, etc...
He's definitely not at the Lee, Teasdale level. But, I could see him growing into a 133, and I don't think Iowa has one of those. Also think he might end up being better than Mejia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT