ADVERTISEMENT

Foster down to 5

The assertion made by Legend was no where close to 70,000,000 homes is reached by ESPNews or ESPNU. I posted evidence to the contrary. tv

No you didn’t. You posted 2015 numbers. ESPN has been losing thousands of subscribers A DAY since that time. They lost two million subscribers to the main channel in 2018 alone: https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-two-million-more-subscribers-in-fiscal-2018/

The assertion by your colleague that ISU games “reach” 100 Million homes is laughable.

I don’t really care enough about this to research and post actual game-by-game ratings but they obviously track revenue: https://www.forbes.com/sites/chriss...luable-college-basketball-teams/#227b07cd3225

Of the 20 most valuable college b-ball programs, the big 12 has 2 of them (Kansas #5 and texas #17). The big ten has SEVEN (Indiana #3, Ohio State #6, Illinois #9, Wisconsin #10, Michigan State #12, Maryland #13, and Michigan #15). As far as actual eyes on games, I would suspect that Iowa has significantly more simply as a factor of playing in the Big Ten Conference.

PS I will grant you this: Hilton is better than CHA.

Last edited:
No you didn’t. You posted 2015 numbers. ESPN has been losing thousands of subscribers A DAY since that time. They lost two million subscribers to the main channel in 2018 alone: https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-two-million-more-subscribers-in-fiscal-2018/

The assertion by your colleague that ISU games “reach” 100 Million homes is laughable.

I don’t really care enough about this to research and post actual game-by-game ratings but they obviously track revenue: https://www.forbes.com/sites/chriss...luable-college-basketball-teams/#227b07cd3225

Of the 20 most valuable college b-ball programs, the big 12 has 2 of them (Kansas #5 and texas #17). The big ten has SEVEN (Indiana #3, Ohio State #6, Illinois #9, Wisconsin #10, Michigan State #12, Maryland #13, and Michigan #15). As far as actual eyes on games, I would suspect that Iowa has significantly more simply as a factor of playing in the Big Ten Conference.

PS I will grant you this: Hilton is better than CHA.
I understand my numbers were from 2015. New numbers have been hard to find, but to say it is no where near 70 million when it was north of 70 million in 2015 seems to be a stretch. The bottom line is ESPNU and ESPNews appear to be in as many homes as BTN so coverage between Iowa and ISU is roughly equal. I am not sure why that is so difficult to understand.

And I never made any argument about actual eyes on a game.

Last edited:
I understand my numbers were from 2015. New numbers have been hard to find, but to say it is no where near 70 million when it was north of 70 million in 2015 seems to be a stretch. The bottom line is ESPNU and ESPNews appear to be in as many homes as BTN so coverage between Iowa and ISU is roughly equal. I am not sure why that is so difficult to understand.

BTN, ESPNNews and ESPNU all have about 60,000,000 at this time.

I was mocking CeMar_Clone’s comment: “ISU reaches far more homes than Iowa does.”

I was mocking CeMar_Clone’s comment: “ISU reaches far more homes than Iowa does.”
Here is 2018 numbers (the most current I can find) https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/au...mates-drops-for-espn-nbcsn-fs1-btn-espnu.html

ESPN 85 (million)
ESPN2 85
FS1 83
ESPNU 63
ESPNews 62
BTN 57

Bottom line is the primary difference between ISU and Iowa TV coverage is number of games on Cyclones.tv vs BTNplus or whatever it is called (where Iowa gets the advantage by having less last year). Moving forward, it will depend on the year.

Reactions: doughawk

? Isn’t that the only thing that matters? That is, after all, where the revenue comes from. That is, after all, how people outside of Iowa are exposed to your program.

I mean the creators of ESPN’s ‘WokeCenter’ could boast that they “reach” 80 million homes, but the reality was that no one actually watched it. It got destroyed by reruns of peppa pig.

We know people watch Kansas and Texas. ISU? I suspect most of those 60 million would rather watch peppa pig.

Last edited:

CeMar is the biggest idiot on HR.

I would say he has iowafbnbbfan beat by a landslide, as I would put iowafbnbbfan in second place .

Here is 2018 numbers (the most current I can find) https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/au...mates-drops-for-espn-nbcsn-fs1-btn-espnu.html

ESPN 85 (million)
ESPN2 85
FS1 83
ESPNU 63
ESPNews 62
BTN 57

Bottom line is the primary difference between ISU and Iowa TV coverage is number of games on Cyclones.tv vs BTNplus or whatever it is called (where Iowa gets the advantage by having less last year). Moving forward, it will depend on the year.
So I am completely right. 28 of ISU's games next fall are on those networks that are ALL bigger than the Big 10 network. In fact, most of ISU's games are on ESPN and ESPN2. Again, ISU is available to more TV sets then the Big 10 network offers for virtually every game!

So I am completely right. 28 of ISU's games next fall are on those networks that are ALL bigger than the Big 10 network. In fact, most of ISU's games are on ESPN and ESPN2. Again, ISU is available to more TV sets then the Big 10 network offers for virtually every game!

Can you share a link to the list of TV games for ISU this upcoming season?

They play basketball in the fall?

Fran should hire a PI (from VA) to tail XF at his Baylor recruiting visit. Take some photos of XF getting friendly with the co-ed they will undoubtedly pair him with on his visit. Send those photos via snail mail (return address of firm in VA) from Virginia to XF girlfriend and XF. No more girlfriend angle to worry about, it would appear VT hired the PI, and the experience on Baylor recruiting visit would sour him on that school. All of the sudden it's a top 2.

Reactions: Sheahawk
Fran should hire a PI (from VA) to tail XF at his Baylor recruiting visit. Take some photos of XF getting friendly with the co-ed they will undoubtedly pair him with on his visit. Send those photos via snail mail (return address of firm in VA) from Virginia to XF girlfriend and XF. No more girlfriend angle to worry about, it would appear VT hired the PI, and the experience on Baylor recruiting visit would sour him on that school. All of the sudden it's a top 2.
Do you work for the CIA?

Reactions: Hawktucson
Seems like almost every recruiting thread deteriorates into a pissing contest with insecure ISU fans.Is there still a rivalry board, where y'all can take this crap?

Reactions: perryhawk

We’re waiting for confirmation of games on TV? I took a look at the current one(s) scheduled, but I’ll wait for your reply.

Reactions: BBHawk
And I don’t give a crap about any college out of the state of Iowa.

ESPN 85 (million)
ESPN2 85
FS1 83
ESPNU 63
ESPNews 62
BTN 57

Building on the above....ISU has an advantage as ESPN and The Deuce have more coverage than BTN....During the Regular season.
But...some games are played on CBS, FS1, Cyclones.TV, BTN+, etc. - so gets murky to make sweeping statements.
Also, the NCAA Tournament becomes exponentially more important (e.g. making the tourney) as the ratings are many times greater than the regular season.
I would also add that the media partnerships are becoming increasingly incestuous - look at football. Iowa ends up playing half their games on ABC/ESPN or ESPN2.

TV schedules are not out yet, that depends on ESPN. But ISU does not have to wait to see if they are selected by ESPN, all of these games in blue are already contracted! It is not like Iowa who has to wait and see if ESPN selects their games, the Big 12 is under contract for ALL games with ESPN, and has been for several years.

Here are the games:

These are on the ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPNews (100% certainty, they are under contract):
18 Big 12 conference games
1-3 Big 12 tourney games
SEC Challenge (Auburn)
Big East Challenge (Seton Hall)
3 games Atlantis tournament

Then there is Iowa and a road game at Oregon State, both are very likely to be ESPN or Fox or CBS Sports.

That leaves 6 little sisters of the poor teams that likely end up on CY TV. These are the boring games. In 2021, this moving to ESPN+.

All of the games in blue are definite, they are 100%, they are contracted to ESPN.

So of possibly 34 games, the 6 little sisters of the poor are likely on CY TV, and every other game is on a major network. ISU is not waiting to see if they get selected, they already are. Just waiting to see day and time.

TV schedules are not out yet, that depends on ESPN. But ISU does not have to wait to see if they are selected by ESPN, all of these games in blue are already contracted! It is not like Iowa who has to wait and see if ESPN selects their games, the Big 12 is under contract for ALL games with ESPN, and has been for several years.

Here are the games:

These are on the ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPNews (100% certainty, they are under contract):
18 Big 12 conference games
1-3 Big 12 tourney games
SEC Challenge (Auburn)
Big East Challenge (Seton Hall)
3 games Atlantis tournament

Then there is Iowa and a road game at Oregon State, both are very likely to be ESPN or Fox or CBS Sports.

That leaves 6 little sisters of the poor teams that likely end up on CY TV. These are the boring games. In 2021, this moving to ESPN+.

All of the games in blue are definite, they are 100%, they are contracted to ESPN.

So of possibly 34 games, the 6 little sisters of the poor are likely on CY TV, and every other game is on a major network. ISU is not waiting to see if they get selected, they already are. Just waiting to see day and time.
So you really don't know what a link is, do you?

ISU literally had a conference basketball game televised only on CyclonesTV during the 2017-2018 season.

Building on the above....ISU has an advantage as ESPN and The Deuce have more coverage than BTN.

There really is no advantage...both fan bases know what channels/packages they need to watch their team play.

Neither Iowa nor ISU are going to move the ratings much on their own, so the goal is to make sure as many games as possible are available to their fans and their fans know where to go to get the content.

That's not accurate. Every ISU conference game for the last 3 years has been aired and viewed in 70-100 million homes.
ISU games may have been available in 70-100 million homes, assuming that is true, those games certainly didn't draw 70-100 million viewers.

ISU games may have been available in 70-100 million homes, assuming that is true, those games certainly didn't draw 70-100 million viewers.

tenor.gif

That's not accurate. Every ISU conference game for the last 3 years has been aired and viewed in 70-100 million homes.

Hopefully you are joking.

Iowa State v. TCU was on CyclonesTV only a couple seasons ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT