ADVERTISEMENT

Foster down to 5

Hopefully you are joking.

Iowa State v. TCU was on CyclonesTV only a couple seasons ago.
gif-animation-wink-1.gif

Reactions: Hawksfor3 and TCOOL
More to the point of this thread....Does anyone on either side really believe Mr. Foster is going to base his decision on the number of cable subscribers of various sports channels?
Dead on. These non-stop discussions about what Iowa or ISU has that the other doesn't mostly have nothing to do with anything but one fan base bragging about their school, when neither is exactly considered a hot spot for most recruits. If recruits or their parents happen to read this crap, it must be pretty funny.

? Isn’t that the only thing that matters? That is, after all, where the revenue comes from. That is, after all, how people outside of Iowa are exposed to your program.

We know people watch Kansas and Texas. ISU? I suspect most of those 60 million would rather watch peppa pig.
You cited most valuable teams as those that people watch in a previous post. I cannot find anything more recent than 2016 that goes past top 20, but the Wall Street Journal listed ISU as the 30th most valuable team in 2016 and Iowa as the 33rd most valuable. If being top 20 by your standards means you are watched, why does 30 mean people would rather watch a kids program? Does top 30 not show that ISU draws revenue?
Wall Street Journal

Dead on. These non-stop discussions about what Iowa or ISU has that the other doesn't mostly have nothing to do with anything but one fan base bragging about their school, when neither is exactly considered a hot spot for most recruits. If recruits or their parents happen to read this crap, it must be pretty funny.

I think it’s uninteresting dick measuring youngsters invariably take part in...

Reactions: Cydkar
ISU has been to two sweet sixteens in this millennia and hasn't won the conference since 2000.

Yea, ISU is probably a better program than Iowa, but that doesn't mean anyone gives a rip about you outside of the state.

In a recent ranking of college basketball programs over the last 20 years, ISU was 39 and Iowa was 42. Not much difference despite the sweet 16s.

In a recent ranking of college basketball programs over the last 20 years, ISU was 39 and Iowa was 42. Not much difference despite the sweet 16s.
Really, since 2000, the only thing separating ISU and Iowa is a few Big12 Tournament titles and a handful of players drafted into the NBA (the supermajority of whom don't play meaningful minutes).

When it comes to regular season and NCAA tournament success this millennia, I don't see much of a difference.

There is a HUGE difference between missing the sweet 16 by one basket vs a #2 seed and making the sweet 16 after beating two double digit seeds. HUGE. HUGE DIFFERENCE.
or missing it against the eventual champion Vill. finally someone gets it, go back and look at the seeds they have beaten in the tourney thru the years,,,

You cited most valuable teams as those that people watch in a previous post. I cannot find anything more recent than 2016 that goes past top 20, but the Wall Street Journal listed ISU as the 30th most valuable team in 2016 and Iowa as the 33rd most valuable. If being top 20 by your standards means you are watched, why does 30 mean people would rather watch a kids program? Does top 30 not show that ISU draws revenue?
Wall Street Journal

JFC.

Who cares?

or missing it against the eventual champion Vill. finally someone gets it, go back and look at the seeds they have beaten in the tourney thru the years,,,
You and L Wade are right in terms of the “silliness” of measuring a season by how deep you advanced in the tournament. Like it or not though, when people talk about program quality, especially historically, it’s “they made _x_ Sweet Sixteens, _x_ Final Fours, _x_ National Championships, and have won it all _x_ times.” And it’s these conversations which COULD impact the decision of a recruit (Not saying it would with Foster, since I don’t know his situation or what he values)

Losing to Tennessee in the fashion they did may have been more rewarding than beating a couple of double digit seeds to make the Sweet 16. Last year aside, (since the team outperformed any and all expectations) it would be even more rewarding if the Hawks could play their way to a higher seed and not be forced to play top teams in the second round. Chance is a part of it, but so is losing to cellar dwellers in Big Ten play. JMO

Reactions: CyberJJ

ISU has been knocked out by the eventual champ 4 times since 1999. It isn't like Iowa is the only team to have played good teams in the Dance.

You and L Wade are right in terms of the “silliness” of measuring a season by how deep you advanced in the tournament. Like it or not though, when people talk about program quality, especially historically, it’s “they made _x_ Sweet Sixteens, _x_ Final Fours, _x_ National Championships, and have won it all _x_ times.” And it’s these conversations which COULD impact the decision of a recruit (Not saying it would with Foster, since I don’t know his situation or what he values)

Losing to Tennessee in the fashion they did may have been more rewarding than beating a couple of double digit seeds to make the Sweet 16. Last year aside, (since the team outperformed any and all expectations) it would be even more rewarding if the Hawks could play their way to a higher seed and not be forced to play top teams in the second round. Chance is a part of it, but so is losing to cellar dwellers in Big Ten play. JMO

Of course it’s not more rewarding than the sweet 16. I just choose to be realistic when evaluating my team.

Of course it’s not more rewarding than the sweet 16. I just choose to be realistic when evaluating my team.
I’d be interested to hear what you consider realistic. I think it’s fair to say that Iowa has had a couple teams which, realistically, could have played their way to a situation (like you described) where they were facing a like or lower seed in the second round

I’d be interested to hear what you consider realistic. I think it’s fair to say that Iowa has had a couple teams which, realistically, could have played their way to a situation (like you described) where they were facing a like or lower seed in the second round

Oh i completely agree- I was just pointing out how much luck is involved. We have a coach and program that has been close...there is risk in change.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
How many of those games will be on ESPNU and ESPNNews?

Last year ISU had 8 conference games on those channels, and they aren't reaching 70 million homes on there, that is for sure.

JFC...last year you guys played Missouri at home and it had to be carried on CyclonesTV.

ESPNU and ESPNNews both have about 60 MM homes. BTN is on in about 57 MM homes.

Iowa had 60% of their conference games on BTN last year.

Oh i completely agree- I was just pointing out how much luck is involved. We have a coach and program that has been close...there is risk in change.
To be clear, I’m not suggesting that there should be change. I like Fran’s style of play, his recruiting has improved, and his teams will remain competitive.

Just wish that some of the slides that his better teams have gone through had been avoided, resulting in better seeds in March

Hahaha

Ok, dude...

I thought that that was what L Wade was getting after in this (see below) post and was trying to be agreeable. It’s possible, or even likely, I misinterpreted or took it out of context. Regardless, I can take the L for that comment. My overarching point is unchanged
There is a HUGE difference between missing the sweet 16 by one basket vs a #2 seed and making the sweet 16 after beating two double digit seeds. HUGE. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Hearing his gfriend is working at a popular isu bar and is making big $$ on tips from isu donors.
Just sayin - clones could actually land a in state hs guy others want for a change.

Foster should end up in Iowa City

TV schedules are not out yet, that depends on ESPN. But ISU does not have to wait to see if they are selected by ESPN, all of these games in blue are already contracted! It is not like Iowa who has to wait and see if ESPN selects their games, the Big 12 is under contract for ALL games with ESPN, and has been for several years.

Here are the games:

These are on the ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPNews (100% certainty, they are under contract):
18 Big 12 conference games
1-3 Big 12 tourney games
SEC Challenge (Auburn)
Big East Challenge (Seton Hall)
3 games Atlantis tournament

Then there is Iowa and a road game at Oregon State, both are very likely to be ESPN or Fox or CBS Sports.

That leaves 6 little sisters of the poor teams that likely end up on CY TV. These are the boring games. In 2021, this moving to ESPN+.

All of the games in blue are definite, they are 100%, they are contracted to ESPN.

So of possibly 34 games, the 6 little sisters of the poor are likely on CY TV, and every other game is on a major network. ISU is not waiting to see if they get selected, they already are. Just waiting to see day and time.

100% certainty.

ESPN+ for conference games???

LMAO!!!!

11 games total on CycloneTV, Longhorn Network or ESPN+.

You have no idea what you are talking about. @CeMar_Clone assured us this (with 100% certainty, I might add):

These are on the ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPNews (100% certainty, they are under contract):
18 Big 12 conference games
1-3 Big 12 tourney games
SEC Challenge (Auburn)
Big East Challenge (Seton Hall)
3 games Atlantis tournament

Reactions: MikeyHawk and TCOOL
What? Do you understand that ESPN carries ALL Big 12 conference games. That means every single conference game is carried nationwide on a network that is bigger than the B1G. Just looked at the ISU schedule this fall, and ISU has potentially 33 games to play with 28 on nationwide tv. Here are the games on nationwide tv, 18 conference games, 3 tourney games, Iowa, Seton Hall, Oregon State, Michigan, Alabama, North Carolina, Auburn (final 4 team) . ISU reaches 70 to 100 M homes on ALL of these games. ISU reaches far more homes than Iowa does.

Tell me more!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT