ADVERTISEMENT

Foster inching closer

I contend that it will be the Hawks. Deep down he and his family are Hawk fans from my understanding. He's a Hawk over ISU I believe assuming some blue blood like Duke swoops in the next few weeks.

Reactions: janny1953
so you would be ok with the 1st 2020 signee being a 5 star? :)

i am getting a little anxious for someone in the 2020 class to commit!

I am as well. Really wish we had one under our belts. But it is still early.... That noted, the sooner Foster commits, if he chooses Iowa, the better! He could help recruit other top recruits. That cannot hurt... Look at what Deuce has been doing in football. Seems to have helped quite a bit.

Anyone else surprised more big fish haven’t gotten involved?
Let me preface this by saying I absolutely want Foster to commit obviously. But I think bigger schools have stayed away because he’s not a surefire 1-and-done or even 2-and-done player and nowadays, those are the types of players Duke and UK are going after. His athleticism is off the charts but he’s not a very physical player and hangs out at the 3 point line a lot.

What I’m saying is there are gaps in his game that is probably keeping the big dogs away. But once again, would love to have him be a Hawk.

Let me preface this by saying I absolutely want Foster to commit obviously. But I think bigger schools have stayed away because he’s not a surefire 1-and-done or even 2-and-done player and nowadays, those are the types of players Duke and UK are going after. His athleticism is off the charts but he’s not a very physical player and hangs out at the 3 point line a lot.

What I’m saying is there are gaps in his game that is probably keeping the big dogs away. But once again, would love to have him be a Hawk.

Xavier will not have to bang inside his first year. He will have a year to develop a more physical presence. He'll have three big guys to share that load, if needed. In Garza, Pemsl & Nunge. Those guys are going to be physical loads the next two years.

If Foster wants to show an inside game right away, he will certainly be able to. If the man has it, use it. But he won't be the only one needed to bang low night in & night out, that is for sure. That noted, an inside-outside game is exactly what I am expecting from XF. A really fun one to watch...especially in the running style that Iowa plays!

Go Hawks!

I feel pretty good about Iowa's chances here for several reasons.

1. There are family connections to Iowa with his grandfather and uncle playing there. His mom's side of the family are all huge Iowa fans.

2. Iowa was his first offer. His AAU coach asked him which team he was interested in and he said Iowa first. His coach called Sherman Dillard and they became the first to offer.

3. He attended a lot of Iowa games this year.

I feel pretty good about Iowa's chances here for several reasons.

1. There are family connections to Iowa with his grandfather and uncle playing there. His mom's side of the family are all huge Iowa fans.

2. Iowa was his first offer. His AAU coach asked him which team he was interested in and he said Iowa first. His coach called Sherman Dillard and they became the first to offer.

3. He attended a lot of Iowa games this year.
So would you just commit to Iowa or release a
"top 3". Someone is still seeking attention, I'm afraid he is still open to other opportunities.

No doubt.

Let's not underscore his girlfriend attends Iowa St and I believe is a cheerleader there.

My thought is that girlfriends are replaceable....and especially if you are a high level DI MBB player.

So would you just commit to Iowa or release a
"top 3". Someone is still seeking attention, I'm afraid he is still open to other opportunities.

I guess what you do mean by "involved"? He's had Duke coaches watching him basically all of the July period. They are involved, they just have higher priority kids in front of him honestly.
Would be all the more important for Iowa/ISU to get him to commit early. Wouldn't have to worry about him being fallback for the big boys.

If I had money to wager right now. I would say he will be a Cyclone unless some other big dogs come in like Duke.

Some have mentioned he might not be a 1 or 2 and done. I don't see that as a bad thing. Timing seems just right for him with Garza, Nunge and Pemsl to play against/with and learn from his first year or two, and some very promising perimeter players. I don't know Foster's personality or initial expectations. Does he expect to be "the big man" when he steps on campus? He won't be at the top schools and probably not at Iowa. Would that give ISU an advantage? Foster is an important recruit beyond just getting a potentially great player, if Fran wants to lock down the state as the Hawkeye state.

A lot would be expected of Foster at ISU. I think he'd step in to the Jacobson role if he committed to ISU and play right away. Depends on what he wants I'd guess.

I guess what you do mean by "involved"? He's had Duke coaches watching him basically all of the July period. They are involved, they just have higher priority kids in front of him honestly.
No, they haven't been watching him in July. He's not even playing.

Reactions: perryhawk
No, they haven't been watching him in July. He's not even playing.

Correct. Stress fracture in his foot which will require minor surgery. I would be surprised if that wasnt his rationale of moving forward with his recruitement/announcement. The summer period was his chance to obtain that Duke/UNC offer. The fact that this recruitment is moving forward faster than expected is great news for both Iowa and Iowa State.

It's a huge recruitment for both Iowa and Iowa State. Both schools should have great rosters heading into 2020/2021 and Foster would push it over the edge. For example for Iowa:

McCaffrey
Bohannon
Wieskamp
Garza
Foster

Really big annoucement coming.

No doubt.

Let's not underscore his girlfriend attends Iowa St and I believe is a cheerleader there.

My thought is that girlfriends are replaceable....and especially if you are a high level DI MBB player.

I agree but it does mean that he probably spends alot of time on the Ames campus.

Other things that stick out as flags:
  • His dad watching football games at Steve Prohm's house. Sound's like they're buddying up, and he definitely isn't doing that with Fran.
  • The king kong-gate. Alleged iowa fans tweeting at him and his father during the the whole ordeal is definitely not a good look.
  • Iowa's complete lack of NBA success. Probably says more to the caliber of players we've had than the caliber of coaching, but still.
Apart from the family lineage, I haven't seen or heard anything that makes me think Iowa has any sort of advantage on this dude.

Correct. Stress fracture in his foot which will require minor surgery. I would be surprised if that wasnt his rationale of moving forward with his recruitement/announcement. The summer period was his chance to obtain that Duke/UNC offer. The fact that this recruitment is moving forward faster than expected is great news for both Iowa and Iowa State.

Agreed, this is definitely good news for the in-state schools. I would be surprised if Iowa and ISU aren't both in his final three. I love his dad's quote about schools that think of Xavier as just a number. Relationships are going to be important to his decision, and Iowa has been on him longer than anybody.

Reactions: hawkfan55
So, this is probably good news for Iowa and ISU, but otherwise, no one really knows except the Foster family.

I agree but it does mean that he probably spends alot of time on the Ames campus.

Other things that stick out as flags:
  • His dad watching football games at Steve Prohm's house. Sound's like they're buddying up, and he definitely isn't doing that with Fran.
  • The king kong-gate. Alleged iowa fans tweeting at him and his father during the the whole ordeal is definitely not a good look.
  • Iowa's complete lack of NBA success. Probably says more to the caliber of players we've had than the caliber of coaching, but still.
Apart from the family lineage, I haven't seen or heard anything that makes me think Iowa has any sort of advantage on this dude.
The King Kong comment has nothing to do with Iowa Basketball as far as the players and coaching staff are concerned. It looks bad for the vocal minority of fans who commented not for Fran and staff. Not sure why someone would think it has an impact on their relationship with the coaching staff and players.

The King Kong comment has nothing to do with Iowa Basketball as far as the players and coaching staff are concerned. It looks bad for the vocal minority of fans who commented not for Fran and staff. Not sure why someone would think it has an impact on their relationship with the coaching staff and players.

I'm not talking about the comment itself. I'm talking about the dipshits who messaged him on twitter. Im talking about how something like that might sour a high school kid toward a particular fanbase. You commit to play for coaches as well as a fanbase. I don't know the Fosters so I don't know if they cared at all about it. Maybe they didn't think anything of it. But surely you can appreciate that fans (even just a minority of fans) directly messaging a high school kid and his family about stuff like that is not a good thing.

Anyone else surprised more big fish haven’t gotten involved?

Kansas at one point was more involved but they seemed to have backed off. I don't think they have seen the development they wanted along with other top schools. Probably hurt him as well that he is hurt right now.

DJ Carton's high school GF was a huge Iowa fan. It doesn't always work that way.

True, but he goes to ISU a lot to hang out with this GF who is on the cheer squad and in doing so has become friends with other ISU players as well. I mean he even shows up at ISU women's games and other campus events.

I'm not
True, but he goes to ISU a lot to hang out with this GF who is on the cheer squad and in doing so has become friends with other ISU players as well. I mean he even shows up at ISU women's games and other campus events.
I think the GF angle could easily turn out to work against ISU.

Reactions: WildIowaCat
ADVERTISEMENT