ADVERTISEMENT

Four members of the Supreme Court attend banquet honoring far right organization.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Pathetic and deplorable! They really enjoy flouting it right in America's face.

No offense but the federalist society is in every respectable law school including Iowa. My crimlaw prof was the faculty advisor here. He was very conservative and now is an appellate judge. We disagreed vehemently on the trial process but he and I treated each other with respect. Brilliant man actually. I disagree with this characterization. Flat out ignorant.

Isn't Leonard Leo the GOP fundraiser who recently got a billion dollar business donated to him for funding of GOP candidates?
Alito &co. pushed thru Citizens United. Which made Leo a kingmaker.
But hey...all good,right?

Former U.S. Attorney Joyce Vance wondered if the justices at the dinner had forgotten their job.

"As with so many of our institutions, the judiciary can only do its work when the public has confidence in it," Vance noted. "Some of our judges seem to have forgotten that and that they have life tenure to serve the American people, not the political agenda of the people who put them in place."

Federalist Society is a legitimate conservative group and as noted above, has chapters at most law schools.

The problem is my opinion is that FS members are pushing the state independent legislature theory, there is an oral argument in that case set for December 7 (of course), but four of the nine justices who will decide it chose to appear at the FS banquet.

I wouldn’t want to see the Justices who will decide my case having dinner and drinks with my opponent.

Federalist Society is a legitimate conservative group and as noted above, has chapters at most law schools.

The problem is my opinion is that FS members are pushing the state independent legislature theory, there is an oral argument in that case set for December 7 (of course), but four of the nine justices who will decide it chose to appear at the FS banquet.

I wouldn’t want to see the Justices who will decide my case having dinner and drinks with my opponent.
They should be required to recuse themselves from this case.

Nobody should wonder why public confidence in the SCOTUS is cratering. Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, And Coney Barrett attended a dinner honoring the Federalist Society.
Pay attention to the quote by former federal prosecutor, and law professor Joyce Vance at the end of the story.
https://www.salon.com/2022/11/11/four-justices-under-scrutiny-for-attending-right-wing-gala_partner/

Odd coincidence, wouldn't you say?

....something......something........'activist judges'.........

No offense but the federalist society is in every respectable law school including Iowa. My crimlaw prof was the faculty advisor here. He was very conservative and now is an appellate judge. We disagreed vehemently on the trial process but he and I treated each other with respect. Brilliant man actually. I disagree with this characterization. Flat out ignorant.
They might have been a legitimate organization at one time. There are probably some very fine people in the organization. But, they are out of step with society, their demographics are not reflective of the nation, and wield tremendous power without ever having to go before the people. The number one qualification to be appointed to a federal judgeship from 2017-2020 was membership in the Federalist Society. And, many of them had single page resumes.
For the four SCOTUS members to so casually flaunt their association with an organization that brings business before the court shows an arrogance and hubris that does not bode well for the rights of the individual.

Reactions: BelemNole
Sorry, but I disagree. You can't just dump on every contrarian organization.

....a 1991 seminar on "bankruptcy" is your example?

That was her entire focus as a Congresswoman - how big banks (and medical expenses) destroyed the lives of common borrowers....

....a 1991 seminar on "bankruptcy" is your example?

That was her entire focus as a Congresswoman - how big banks (and medical expenses) destroyed the lives of common borrowers....
There are _plenty_ more. I think many of you make sweeping generalizations on both sides. It dilutes your own message and destroys your credibility. Chances are 0 percent of you have read the excellent articles that are on the federalist society website.

Former U.S. Attorney Joyce Vance wondered if the justices at the dinner had forgotten their job.

"As with so many of our institutions, the judiciary can only do its work when the public has confidence in it," Vance noted. "Some of our judges seem to have forgotten that and that they have life tenure to serve the American people, not the political agenda of the people who put them in place."
They actually have a life tenure to do what they goddam please.

There are _plenty_ more.

Sure; are they seminars people are conferring their expertise on a topic (which is what you'd linked) OR are they "attendance" at a political event which is what was posted on sitting justices.

How many past sitting justices have "attended" those political rallies/meetings as guests. Because context matters.

Last edited:
We got an example of the Federalist party when Filthy Don called upon her, NO THANKS, i have no respect for her or the Federalist party or their decisions.

There are _plenty_ more. I think many of you make sweeping generalizations on both sides. It dilutes your own message and destroys your credibility. Chances are 0 percent of you have read the excellent articles that are on the federalist society website.
People have credibility on here?

Reactions: GOHOX69
Well, what the conservative can't win at the ballot box , they will strong arm through the conservative SCOTUS court.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT