ADVERTISEMENT

Four sailors have committed suicide while stationed on the USS George Washington while in port

I don’t understand why they have to live on a ship being refurbished
Fire watch, and there are always duties to perform. The question seems to be should they have been quartered on or off the ship. I also read an article a few months ago about these floating barracks that the Navy uses sometimes. They can be hot and nasty, too.

Fire watch, and there are always duties to perform. The question seems to be should they have been quartered on or off the ship. I also read an article a few months ago about these floating barracks that the Navy uses sometimes. They can be hot and nasty, too.
I lived on floating barracks when my ship went to the yards in Pascagoula years ago. Was only for a few months as I was discharged shortly thereafter. It wasn’t too bad as I recall.
Still believe we were on four section duty (duty every fourth day) even though the ship was high and dry. Ship was getting a vertical launch system (VLS).

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I spent one night on a brand new ship (I was involved with the commissioning). No way I could do that day in and day out, especially on one where constant work is happening.

I spent one night on a brand new ship (I was involved with the commissioning). No way I could do that day in and day out, especially on one where constant work is happening.

And that was a new ship. I imagine one commissioned 30 years ago has a bit more “character”.

Reactions: runkpanole
I lived on floating barracks when my ship went to the yards in Pascagoula years ago. Was only for a few months as I was discharged shortly thereafter. It wasn’t too bad as I recall.
Still believe we were on four section duty (duty every fourth day) even though the ship was high and dry. Ship was getting a vertical launch system (VLS).
I think this is the story I read awhile back. It’s about a new floating barracks that was completed in 2021, but it has some fairly negative stuff about the old ones.
https://taskandpurpose.com/military-tech/navy-berthing-barge/?amp

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Congress & the Navy need to get it figured out. I assume red tape holds back a lot of common sense fixes to the issue

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT