ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ****Four-star QB Marco Lainez commits to Iowa****

Somebody has to be that guy, so . . .

Doesn't this commit remind you of a similar 4-star QB from Texas who just left Iowa via the portal, a guy who was all in as a Hawkeye, including trying to recruit other players to Iowa City, yet who languished as the third-string QB behind two fellas who haven't exactly lit it up?

When Deuce Hogan chose the Hawkeyes, this board was pretty excited and filled with comments similar to those in this thread. So all I'm sayin' is there's a long and winding road from here to a QB who will lead an Iowa offense into the top half in the country. Maybe Marco will be that guy. Maybe.
No. I knew things about Deuce's recruitment that led me to think he might not work out. I haven't heard anything similar about Lainez.

Maybe you’re thinking of the wrong game.
I’m talking about 2002. Only one INT in that game and yes there were multiple highly controversial calls by the b10 refs that even called back completed TDs by roethlisberger that would have sent Iowa home with a loss.

I remember that game. One convertroversal call and it mattered little. Miami played well but Iowa was to physical for them. Big boy football.

Here is the game I was referring to. Ben played scared and was wild.

Might as well quit the pissing match. Lainez is our future and Hogan is home for multiple reasons. Hawk future is still bright.

Reactions: BBHawk
Tony Racioppi is Spencer Petras' and Nate Stanley's coach, as well.

Check this out & Watch

Yawn.....

So what. I'm 58 years old, never played QB during my Junior High and High School football days....and I can, right now, do everything he just did in that video. Just as fast and with a better throw. This doesn't make the kid a great QB. I'll wait and watch him play the game.

Thanks Fran, kid has a live arm and feet look good and quick. What were his running stats again?
That said it seems I've watched this with Petras before, no? Or maybe it was Stanley although we would've gladly taken NS last year, then the Ketucky QB sneak and 4th and 1 debate would never have happened...:)

Reactions: Franisdaman
Yawn.....

So what. I'm 58 years old, never played QB during my Junior High and High School football days....and I can, right now, do everything he just did in that video. Just as fast and with a better throw. This doesn't make the kid a great QB. I'll wait and watch him play the game.
200w.gif

This board always delivers.

Do these "QB gurus" really do anything? Spencer had cool videos with this guy making throws this summer but even after that we put up one of the worst passing offenses in the Big Ten and now the Freshman QB with no guru might overtake him this spring.
Of course improving mechanics can help. Spencer's issue seems to be that all of those details go out the window when he senses any pressure. Probably looks fantastic in practice.

Do these "QB gurus" really do anything? Spencer had cool videos with this guy making throws this summer but even after that we put up one of the worst passing offenses in the Big Ten and now the Freshman QB with no guru might overtake him this spring.
Just look up the QB guru and his background. Do a little homework and dig into who his best athletes were he has worked with. My next question would be based on your homework would you send your son to him if he was a decent D1 prospect or athlete.

Tony is also the QB coach for Spencer Petras and Nate Stanley.
Not sure if “QB coach for Petras and Stanley” gives me a lot of confidence….though I will admit, Stanley was an underrated QB. Only big frustrations I had with him were disappearing in some of the big moments (besides OSU ‘17) and then air mailing lots of seemingly makeable long plays

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Yawn.....

lmao…sheeeeit. I heard you strap a back up camera onto your back so you don’t miss sitting on the toilet.

Not sure if “QB coach for Petras and Stanley” gives me a lot of confidence….though I will admit, Stanley was an underrated QB. Only big frustrations I had with him were disappearing in some of the big moments (besides OSU ‘17) and then air mailing lots of seemingly makeable long plays
Speaking of QB gurus, does anyone remember George Whitfield being a GA at Iowa. Can we get him to come back?

From ranking of best QB coaches

1. George Whitfield​

Arguably the hottest hand in the QB guru game, George Whitfield’s clientele list reads like a who’s who of elite college football gunslingers.
Whitfield played HS ball at Massillon in Ohio (notably where Paul Brown got his head coaching start) and eventually signed on to play with Jim Tressel at Youngstown State in 1996.
Whitfield ultimately transferred to Tiffin University (also in Ohio) and got his foot in the door in coaching as a GA at Iowa and left that short-term stopover to try his luck as a QB in the Arena League.
After slowly slipping down the Arena ladder, Whitfield wound up getting into the guru biz by coaching a single fifth grader in a one-on-one setting in 2007, a successful task that got him on the long journey to guru status.
Whitfield works alongside NFL standout Warren Moon at Whitfield Athletix in San Diego, Calif. where the motto is “Your Dream. Our Mission.”
Whitfield and company have worked with Ben Roethlisberger, Tajh Boyd, E.J. Manuel, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Landry Jones, Logan Thomas, Johnny Manziel, Jarrett Lee and Braxton Miller.

Stanley was an excellent QB. You don't get to be career no. 2 guy in yards and touchdowns (which are like the biggest play a QB can make) tie for the most wins and have, by far, the best TD/Int ratio of any three year starter. More productive than Ricky Stanzi, more productive than Drew Tate, or Matt Rogers, or Chuck Hartlieb and every other good Iowa QB that started three seasons.

Now I'm pissed about the 10 or 12 plays Nate ran as a true freshman. Iowa would have been in the playoffs, or close miss, in 2020 had Nate been around.​

Last edited:
Not a lawyer ... just a theoretical physics. My clan are a pompous, overbearing group ... prone to egotism and eccentricity. I try my best to not be a dick ... but I fail with great frequency. The best I can hope is that I at least take ownership of it ...

I'd like to get a few beers in you and take you to a Dokken concert. 😂

Not at all. I would infer that you're a softball who's too prideful to admit when you say (or write) something that is inappropriate. Way to take responsibility for yourself ... but I suppose you''re not wrong often?

I think I've been a bad influence on you. Feel free to use "bacterially infected rectal fissure", with attribution of course.

Seems like lots of this goes away when the brain goes to old habits.. really need to have someone putting pressure on his throws/throwing lanes

ADVERTISEMENT