ADVERTISEMENT

Four words we never need to hear again.

Wowza. I didn't pay close enough attention during the game to see if BF was giving signals but if they can't even trust Labas to do that then that's an even bigger indictment on BF and ultimately KF.
It's not. With Petras' arm in a sling he obviously couldn't signal plays so a second guy would be needed. Hawks have always had at least 2 guys signal in plays - one is a dummy so opposing team can't potentially figure out the signals for the plays coming in.

It's not. With Petras' arm in a sling he obviously couldn't signal plays so a second guy would be needed. Hawks have always had at least 2 guys signal in plays - one is a dummy so opposing team can't potentially figure out the signals for the plays coming in.
So Labas was signaling? The poster I replied to said he wasn’t but like I said, I wasn’t watching that closely.

I had a sense of old man stubborn in KF for the first time. A combination of over caution, a desire to be proven right and a sense of loyalty. An obsession with minimizing mistakes, ironically maximized mistakes. In other words, a poor coaching season as well as a poorly played season.
I think this is pretty close to the mark. Kirk isn’t stupid - he knew he had a first class defense, a very good punter and a good FG kicker. He also saw a really poor OL and I truly believe he thought Spencer would limit the mistakes enough to let the D carry to the West championship. At some point, you can’t just hang the D out time and time and time and time and time again with short fields and expect them to perform magic. The offense has to do more.

I don’t care whether Iowa has a QB that will do RPO and run the ball 15 times per game, but look back at Iowa’s best offenses - Beathard could move. Stanzi could move. Tate could move. Banks could move. Even McCann and Stanley could go get 10 and a first down on a broken play occasionally. The OL has to be better and the QB can’t be a statue.

Reactions: nu2u
Everytime they showed him on tv he was, and I know he’s been signaling alongside Padilla all season.
Well I guess I was celebrating the holiday a little too hard and just didn’t notice. It honestly would have shocked me if Labas was that far behind.

So Labas was signaling? The poster I replied to said he wasn’t but like I said, I wasn’t watching that closely.
Like I said, it wasn't confirmed, just something I heard. A better explanation was likely they needed two signalers, one a live one and one a dummy signaler, and didn't have anyone else.

I do find it slightly interesting that May or even an offensive GA isn't used for signaling.

Reactions: CerroGordoHawk
Spencer Petras. Alex Padilla.

The "which is worse" argument is no longer even interesting or relevant. They are individually and collectively terrible. The worst two starter and main reserve QBs since at least the Commings years.

There's a good 3-4 weeks before the bowl game. Trot out Joe as the starter. He may suck, although everyone I know that has seen even a little of practice says he's more talented than the other two, although less "knowledgeable." Even in a limited offense a thrower that does not miss wide open receivers for first down would immediately improve the offensive performance.
Padilla isn't going to be on any Heisman lists, but I think he would be significantly better with a few games of experience. He got happy feet too often, but when he panicked, he threw it away. The staff didn't do his confidence any favors by waiting until the second half AT Ohio State to get him his first meaningful playing time this season.

Like I said, it wasn't confirmed, just something I heard. A better explanation was likely they needed two signalers, one a live one and one a dummy signaler, and didn't have anyone else.

I do find it slightly interesting that May or even an offensive GA isn't used for signaling.
In the past we’ve used 3 qbs at times, idk if May didn’t know the signals well enough as a true freshman or what. Don’t believe they’ve ever used a GA for that job, unsure why.

In the past we’ve used 3 qbs at times, idk if May didn’t know the signals well enough as a true freshman or what. Don’t believe they’ve ever used a GA for that job, unsure why.
Schools I've coached for in the past have used student assistants and GAs to signal, but there were also fewer rules in place there.

I don’t recall even seeing May on the sideline which I think would be strange since it was a home game.

Padilla isn't going to be on any Heisman lists, but I think he would be significantly better with a few games of experience. He got happy feet too often, but when he panicked, he threw it away. The staff didn't do his confidence any favors by waiting until the second half AT Ohio State to get him his first meaningful playing time this season.

C'mon dude, give it up. Bad QB 2 is terrible, terrible. He played the equivalent of five games with the starters and the results were terrible last season. He played a lot of time with starters in the spring, and the results were terrible. He got a chance to play against tOSU and was an instant disaster. Came in against a bad team and was an immediate disaster, again. He's had plenty of time to show he's not a disaster, yet disaster follows his play. He's become as skittish and sloppy as Spencer without the arm strength or occasional hot streak.

It's time for some new names.

C'mon dude, give it up. Bad QB 2 is terrible, terrible. He played the equivalent of five games with the starters and the results were terrible last season. He played a lot of time with starters in the spring, and the results were terrible. He got a chance to play against tOSU and was an instant disaster. Came in against a bad team and was an immediate disaster, again. He's had plenty of time to show he's not a disaster, yet disaster follows his play. He's become as skittish and sloppy as Spencer without the arm strength or occasional hot streak.

It's time for some new names.
I prefaced my comment with an admission he wasn't a great QB. I don't want him to start next year, and I didn't say he'd be our best QB with experience, but it's silly to say he's had plenty of time to show his ability. I think he would've been better than Petras with the same amount of experience and definitely would've avoided sacks Petras had no chance to escape.

I agree it's time for new names, however.

I have no doubt that Bad QB 1 is moving on. The coaches see the same things we do. I think the "experience factor kept Bad QB 2 on the field.

Not dumping either of the guys was weird because KF has never been shy about benching a starting QB, although the issue hasn't come up much because Iowa has enjoyed success with second year starters. Banks, Tate, Jake C, Ricky, Jake R and Nate all started in their second year.

Jake C was benched two games into his junior season. Future NFL QB Jake R was benched following the 10th best single season in Iowa history, in favor of a younger player, future NFL QB CJ Bearthard.

I don't even see Bad QB 2 on the roster come spring.
7-6 is the 10th best season in Iowa history?

7-6 is the 10th best season in Iowa history?
Since I was talking about QB metrics, not won loss records why do you think I was talking about the team results. To be clear, pursuant to at least the U of Iowa's official records Jake R's junior season is the 10th best in Iowa QB seasons.

For future reference, a final W/L is a team metric, not attributable to any one player. It is not part of measuring a QB's performance. A QB cannot win a game, any game, by themselves, hence the W/L record isn't part of things like QBRs and yards thrown, TDs thrown, etc...

ADVERTISEMENT