ADVERTISEMENT

Four words we never need to hear again.

The Deplorable Sleeping Dog

HR Heisman
Gold Member
May 9, 2018
Spencer Petras. Alex Padilla.

The "which is worse" argument is no longer even interesting or relevant. They are individually and collectively terrible. The worst two starter and main reserve QBs since at least the Commings years.

There's a good 3-4 weeks before the bowl game. Trot out Joe as the starter. He may suck, although everyone I know that has seen even a little of practice says he's more talented than the other two, although less "knowledgeable." Even in a limited offense a thrower that does not miss wide open receivers for first down would immediately improve the offensive performance.

The "which is worse" argument is no longer even interesting or relevant. They are individually and collectively terrible. The worst two starter and main reserve QBs since at least the Commings years.

There's a good 3-4 weeks before the bowl game. Trot out Joe as the starter. He may suck, although everyone I know that has seen even a little of practice says he's more talented than the other two, although less "knowledgeable." Even in a limited offense a thrower that does not miss wide open receivers for first down would immediately improve the offensive performance.
Labas should be taking most of the bowl prep snaps. As a so called developmental program it only makes sense. Spencer got hurt, Padilla isn’t coming back so let’s see what we have.

Kirk says Labas is quite a ways behind the other 2. Hard to believe, I know, but he seems pretty convinced.

Labas should be taking most of the bowl prep snaps. As a so called developmental program it only makes sense. Spencer got hurt, Padilla isn’t coming back so let’s see what we have.
Labas wont be, next year will be either May, a true Freshman, or portal QB.

Ya not going to happen

So how do you explain "Joey Throws" not getting a snap all season considering how bad the 4th and 5th-year QBs were?

Reactions: not_mantiteo

You truly really believe Ferentz doesn’t start one of those guys?

You truly really believe Ferentz doesn’t start one of those guys?

I have no doubt that Bad QB 1 is moving on. The coaches see the same things we do. I think the "experience factor kept Bad QB 2 on the field.

Not dumping either of the guys was weird because KF has never been shy about benching a starting QB, although the issue hasn't come up much because Iowa has enjoyed success with second year starters. Banks, Tate, Jake C, Ricky, Jake R and Nate all started in their second year.

Jake C was benched two games into his junior season. Future NFL QB Jake R was benched following the 10th best single season in Iowa history, in favor of a younger player, future NFL QB CJ Bearthard.

I don't even see Bad QB 2 on the roster come spring.

Mine:

Brian Ferentz offensive coordinator
Brian Ferentz quarterback coach
Two yard crossing routes
Iowa misses Chris Doyle
Tory Taylor for Heisman
Offense is too complex
Petras practices the best
The offense made improvements
Remember Dr. Tom Davis
We could be Nebraska
Short side stretch run
Petras rolls out left
Petras overthrows the receiver
Another missed blocking assignment

I have no doubt that Bad QB 1 is moving on. The coaches see the same things we do. I think the "experience factor kept Bad QB 2 on the field.

Not dumping either of the guys was weird because KF has never been shy about benching a starting QB, although the issue hasn't come up much because Iowa has enjoyed success with second year starters. Banks, Tate, Jake C, Ricky, Jake R and Nate all started in their second year.

Jake C was benched two games into his junior season. Future NFL QB Jake R was benched following the 10th best single season in Iowa history, in favor of a younger player, future NFL QB CJ Bearthard.

2014 (7-6) was the 10th-best season in the history of Iowa football? Really?

Duece Hogan, Nebby's starter, and Mich's starter are all newbies. Something tells me that the problem is really Captain Kirk.
What?

Deuce has yet to throw a college pass and now behind a freshman at Kentucky.

Casey Thompson is a 4th year junior and started 9 games at Texas last year.

The only guy you listed who's remotely a "new" QB with success was McCarthy, and he played in 11 games for Michigan last season.

Mine:

Two yard crossing routes
Iowa misses Chris Doyle
Tory Taylor for Heisman
Offense is too complex
Remember Dr. Tom Davis
We could be Nebraska
Short side stretch run
Petras rolls out left
I'm honest to god sick of hearing "Try DeJean at quarterback" like its some sort of clever original thought.

What?

Deuce has yet to throw a college pass and now behind a freshman at Kentucky.

Casey Thompson is a 4th year junior and started 9 games at Texas last year.

The only guy you listed who's remotely a "new" QB with success was McCarthy, and he played in 11 games for Michigan last season.
I changed it to Max. The others were all new to the system.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
So how do you explain "Joey Throws" not getting a snap all season considering how bad the 4th and 5th-year QBs were?
I had a sense of old man stubborn in KF for the first time. A combination of over caution, a desire to be proven right and a sense of loyalty. An obsession with minimizing mistakes, ironically maximized mistakes. In other words, a poor coaching season as well as a poorly played season.

2014 (7-6) was the 10th-best season in the history of Iowa football? Really?
As I believed I have told you on countless previous occasions the won/lost record is not a metric of QB performance. Not anywhere but apparently your mind. That is a team statistic. A good team could have a bad QB and a bad team could have a good QB. CJ, Ricky and Drew are three of the best QBs in Iowa history, or at least the last 60 years. The team had mediocre seasons during each of those guy's senior seasons. That doesn't diminish the quality of their play, especially Ricky.

So, in the actual world, Jake R's 2014 year is still number 10 in QBs at Iowa.

As I believed I have told you on countless previous occasions the won/lost record is not a metric of QB performance. Not anywhere but apparently your mind. That is a team statistic. A good team could have a bad QB and a bad team could have a good QB. CJ, Ricky and Drew are three of the best QBs in Iowa history, or at least the last 60 years. The team had mediocre seasons during each of those guy's senior seasons. That doesn't diminish the quality of their play, especially Ricky.

What statistics are you using to get #10?
(Sorry if I missed it...)

KF will start Petras and tear up after the shitty bowl game win or lose being so proud of him being a leader through thick and thin. Meanwhile, the future sits and observes from the sideline.

Lots to look forward to.

Supposedly when Petras left the game and was told to put on a sling, Brian had to step in and do signals because they don't trust Labas to.

Not confirmed, just heard it somewhere.
Wowza. I didn't pay close enough attention during the game to see if BF was giving signals but if they can't even trust Labas to do that then that's an even bigger indictment on BF and ultimately KF.

Max Duggan, Nebby's starter, and Mich's starter are all newbies. Something tells me that the problem is really Captain Kirk.
So is Minnesota's QB Alex whatever a newbie and appears to have a bright future. They turned him loose against Wisconsin yesterday and he looked very good. Agreed Ferentz is the problem as he restricts/controls Iowa QB's to the point of being ineffective. Not to mention QB recruiting is evidently abysmal in recent years.

Reactions: wxhawk

I think Padilla is content to be QB2 and complete his pre med classwork at Iowa. I don’t think he has the ambition to be a starter much less the NFL. Otherwise there was no reason for him to come back this year.

Mine:

Two yard crossing routes
Iowa misses Chris Doyle
Tory Taylor for Heisman
Offense is too complex
Remember Dr. Tom Davis
We could be Nebraska
Short side stretch run
Petras rolls out left
Missed one "Good week of practice"

Agreed not good players, talents clearly didn’t build after high school. But whose fault is that? We can blame the kids all day but when was the last time Iowa had a QB1 that could make a play by himself?

This is 1000% on the staff and KF for not bringing in modern QB coaches that can develop. Brad Banks was a gift from Juco heaven. How many Iowa QB’s have been/finished in the top quarter of conference QBR?

You said "10th-best single season in Iowa football history." You didn't limit that to QBR or QB anything.

Supposedly when Petras left the game and was told to put on a sling, Brian had to step in and do signals because they don't trust Labas to.

Not confirmed, just heard it somewhere.
With the complicated offense we have I don't blame them. Lol
Duuhhhh, run up the muddle. Duhhh pass play 2 yards short of the stick. Duhhh, roll petras to the left over and over even though he's right handed. Duhhh, let's only run short side running plays.
Worst offensive coaches in D1 FB. Lol
Offense is a national joke.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
ADVERTISEMENT