ADVERTISEMENT

Fourth Pfizer Dose Slashed Risk of Catching Omicron in Study

And flu shots are annual.

What's your point?
I dont think this proves anything.

I think it would be reasonable for young (<60yr) healthy people to not receive the flu vaccine.

The flu vaccine is similar to the covid vaccine in that it doesn't prevent you from getting influenza, at best is reduces your risk of serious illness as long as the scientists guess right that year. That is not overly reassuring either.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
What remains different for now, however, is that SARS-2 is still killing hundreds of Americans each day.

Average daily deaths have rarely dipped below 300 since last summer. More recently, as the latest Omicron subvariant BA.5 fueled another burst of transmission on top of an elevated plateau of cases, deaths have surpassed 400 a day (though the BA.5 wave appears to have crested). Such levels are far higher than those seen with other respiratory viruses, especially in the summer.

“It’s something that, because we’ve been in this pandemic for so long, we can easily get jaded to,” said Jonathan Abraham, an infectious diseases physician at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston.

Perhaps more worrisome is the fact that many experts don’t foresee much change anytime soon. While there will be ups and downs, some forecasts project 100,000 annual Covid deaths, if not more, for the next several years. Ignoring seasonal variation, that’s some 275 deaths a day.

“It’s hard for me to see, barring any massive change in the way we’re treating the virus right now or trying to manage it, that anything inherent to the virus is really going to change much,” said Stephen Kissler, an epidemiologist at Harvard’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health. “We’re going to continue to see the emergence of variants, we’re going to continue to see spread outside the winter months, we’re probably going to see more spread in winter months in temperate regions — basically any time people are crowding indoors.”

What that means, Kissler said, is that going forward, Covid could generate two to three bad flu seasons’ worth of deaths each year.

That won’t necessarily be the case forever. Many experts see SARS-2 retreating to something more on par with the other human coronaviruses as we keep building up additional layers of immunity. But how long that process takes — three years? five years? 10 years? — remains an open question.

Aren't we about due for another variant to start taking over?

So far the new variants have tended to be more transmissible but less deadly. Although how much of the less deadly part is because they are actually less deadly and how much is due to vaccines and prior exposure isn't entirely clear. But but more transmissible and less deadly is not a rule.

Point being, can we bank on new variants being less deadly? What if the next one also highly transmissible, and also exhibits immune escape, but is a much worse killer?

Not all Israeli experts agree.

Professor Shmuel Shapira, M.D., MPH, served as the Director General of the Israel Institute for Biological Research (IIBR) between 2013 and 2021, where he led Israel’s effort to develop a coronavirus vaccine.

Prof. Shapira is also the founder and head of the Department of Military Medicine of the Hebrew University Faculty of Medicine and IDF Medical Corps. He is a Senior Research Fellow at the International Institute for Counter-Terrorism (ICT) at Reichman University in Israel.

Shapira previously served as Deputy Director General of the Hadassah Medical Organization and as the Director of the Hebrew University Hadassah School of Public Health. He is a Full Colonel (Res.) in the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) and served as the IDF Head of Trauma Branch.

He has published more than 110 peer-reviewed scientific articles and is the editor of Essentials of Terror Medicine, Best Practice for Medical Management of Terror Incidents, and Medical Response to Terror Threats.

Last week, Twitter censored Prof. Shapira—who was "physically injured” after his third Pfizer vaccine—and forced him to remove a post which said: "Monkey pox cases were rare for years. During the last years a single case was documented in Israel. It is well established the mRNA vaccines affect the natural immune system. A monkey pox outbreak following massive covid vaccination: *Is not a coincidence."

🤨

Reactions: your_master5
Aren't we about due for another variant to start taking over?

So far the new variants have tended to be more transmissible but less deadly. Although how much of the less deadly part is because they are actually less deadly and how much is due to vaccines and prior exposure isn't entirely clear. But but more transmissible and less deadly is not a rule.

Point being, can we bank on new variants being less deadly? What if the next one also highly transmissible, and also exhibits immune escape, but is a much worse killer?
"New" variants (Omnicron) are not variants of the Wuhan virus and these stupid shots these people keep pushing on people don't work for it. But by all means keep injecting yourself for something you have very little chance of dying from.

Reactions: ICHerky
"New" variants (Omnicron) are not variants of the Wuhan virus and these stupid shots these people keep pushing on people don't work for it.
The data say otherwise.

And UIHC just informed you that they do not see ANY patients vaccinated + boosted showing up with Long Covid symptoms.

Reactions: General Tso
I have a 77y/o friend who recently visited her cardiologist for “dizziness” and occasional “shortness of breath.”
He scheduled her for and echo stress test and another test but told her (after viewing her med history) that he strongly suspects these tests will come back “normal” and that the root of her problem is the Covid vaccine. So for her, no more Covid vaccinations! He told her that since she is “fully vaxed”, altho she May sometime be infected with a strain of Covid, it would be short lived and quite survivable.
He believes what she is experiencing is what the med community is seeing a lot of with fully vaxed folks. Dizziness, weakness, “brain fog” seem to be rare side-affects of the vaccine" . Not fatal but bothersome and long term. The vaccine is quite effective in limiting the seriousness of the disease (hospitalization and death) but side affects are not uncommon and to be expected. He told her that is “one of the risks” of fast tracking medicines o the public. His opinion is the vaccine is worth the “risk” as it has saved millions of lives and saved us billions of dollars.

The data say otherwise.

And UIHC just informed you that they do not see ANY patients vaccinated + boosted showing up with Long Covid symptoms.
The data does not say otherwise. Omnicron is absolutely not a descendent of Wuhan. I didn't mention one thing about long covid either. Way to change the subject (which was also incorrect).

“Because it's been made political, if it does turn out that ivermectin is effective under some circumstances, the left will simply dismiss or ignore the evidence, just as they've done with other things that don't support their narrative.”

What did the Duke study say? What do you say now your narrative isn’t supported?

Yup

@Finance85 up and vanished like a fart in the wind

SolidSnoopyCaiman-size_restricted.gif

I finally got Covid after my 4th dose and leaving the Tri-county against my better judgement. Slight cough and sniffles way better than a bad headcold. I got my 4th jab on a Thursday and was in the UIHC with a pulmonary embolism on Saturday. Just a coincidence I’m sure…

• Wow
Reactions: doughuddl2
I finally got Covid after my 4th dose and leaving the Tri-county against my better judgement. Slight cough and sniffles way better than a bad headcold. I got my 4th jab on a Thursday and was in the UIHC with a pulmonary embolism on Saturday. Just a coincidence I’m sure…
Damn! That sucks; hope things are going ok.

And I detected just a bit of sarcasm there.

FUNFACT: Pulmonary embolisms are a known side effect from having actual Covid.

There's a very comprehensive study from New South Wales Australia that shows hospitalizations at each dose level. Very different results than studies in the US.

There are studies, and then there are studies. We see a lot of statistical studies that want to show a correlation and causation relationship, but fail to factor in lots of variables. When it comes to nurses, do we think the study cited here factors in prior COVID infection, or any other number of variables that might relate to COVID?

Statistical studies can be bad. They shouldn't be confused with clinical studies, that also use statistics, but are more controlled. Clinical studies are how we arrived at the safety ad efficacy of the vaccines. Those studies showed roughly 95% efficacy in preventing catching and spreading COVID-19. In July of 2021 Joe Biden publicly declared this to be true. How are those studies looking now?

There's a very comprehensive study from New South Wales Australia that shows hospitalizations at each dose level. Very different results than studies in the US.

There are studies, and then there are studies. We see a lot of statistical studies that want to show a correlation and causation relationship, but fail to factor in lots of variables. When it comes to nurses, do we think the study cited here factors in prior COVID infection, or any other number of variables that might relate to COVID?

Statistical studies can be bad. They shouldn't be confused with clinical studies, that also use statistics, but are more controlled. Clinical studies are how we arrived at the safety ad efficacy of the vaccines. Those studies showed roughly 95% efficacy in preventing catching and spreading COVID-19. In July of 2021 Joe Biden publicly declared this to be true. How are those studies looking now?

How're those "Ivermectin studies" panning out for you, buddy?

The new and improved Pfizer booster is out in the next 6-7 weeks. I hope I can get a quick spot in line for it!

The new and improved Pfizer booster is out in the next 6-7 weeks. I hope I can get a quick spot in line for it!
Been awaiting the reformulated vaccines for a while now.

Eventually, we're going to see them coming out every year or every other year for Covid; it doesn't seem to mutate quite as fast as flu, but much faster than originally anticipated.

Reactions: goldmom
I have gotten 3 shots in the past year, and covid 3x since the beginning.

Talked to my doctor this morning at my appointment and we agreed to wait on anymore shots.

4 in a year seems unneccesary.

I wouldn't know. I never advised Ivermectin be used for anything.

How's that study predicting 2.5 million COVID deaths the first year working out for you?

Duke Medical School just announced their trial, which has been going on for awhile. I guess they could have saved some money and just asked Joes Place what the result will be.

Meanwhile, here's a link to a compilation of various studies - https://c19ivermectin.com/

Because it's been made political, if it does turn out that ivermectin is effective under some circumstances, the left will simply dismiss or ignore the evidence, just as they've done with other things that don't support their narrative.

• Haha
Reactions: Joes Place
Yeah. It is.

It's part of a field called "epidemiology". Something you know nothing about.
Talk about knowing nothing about something....you're an idiot. You put a tweet in there that doesn't even represent the lineage correctly. Omnicron comes from a virus from 2017. It is impossible that it came from Wuhan strain based upon Wuhan's evolution. Stop being stupid.

This study was brought to you by the good people of Pfizer... Pfizer where either we will kill you or give you a boner.

Reactions: Finance85
Hospital workers who got a fourth dose of Pfizer Inc.’s messenger RNA vaccine were far less likely to get Covid than triple-vaccinated peers in a study.
The findings published Tuesday in the American Medical Association’s open access journal are the latest to confirm the benefits of a second booster against breakthrough infections caused by omicron. The study’s authors pointed to an extra dose as a tool to prevent medical staff shortages and spare health systems in times of strain.

The research was conducted in Israel, where a speedy vaccine roll-out has provided scientists with real-world data on vaccine efficacy. The country started offering a second booster to the elderly, health workers and those with weakened immune systems in January.
The US is now considering whether to expand eligibility for second booster shots amid the spread of the BA.5 omicron variant.
Read More: US Considering Expanding Second Boosters to All Adults

Doctors, nurses and other health-care workers who got a fourth mRNA shot in January showed a 7% rate of breakthrough infections. Those with three doses -- the third having been administered by the end of September -- saw an infection rate of 20%.

Many health workers in Israel opted not to get a fourth dose in January, the scientists said, assuming it wouldn’t make much of a difference.
“The common assumption was that the combination of reduced virulence of the omicron variant and the protection given by the first three vaccine doses created no added value for the fourth vaccine,” they wrote. But for medical staff, they argued such a difference matters because “quarantine and isolation of a large number of health-care workers may impair the ability of the health system to function.”

The latest in health, medicine and science — and what it means for you.The latest in health, medicine and science — and what it means for you.The latest in health, medicine and science — and what it means for you.
Get the latest from Bloomberg’s global team of health reporters with the Prognosis newsletter.Get the latest from Bloomberg’s global team of health reporters with the Prognosis newsletter.Get the latest from Bloomberg’s global team of health reporters with the Prognosis newsletter.
Email
Please enter a valid email address

By submitting my information, I agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and to receive offers and promotions from Bloomberg.

Wow, 80% of the population is fully vaccinated but they only account for 41% of the deaths. That’s great news.

So ~60% of the deaths have come from the 25% of Californians that are not vaccinated? Sounds like the vaccine does help then. You make a good point here Titan.

• Haha
Reactions: Joes Place
You were saying US when you made those posts. Don't try to deny it now.
Prior to ANY mitigations or lockdowns, perhaps.

Because that was the trajectory we were on. Did you forget that most major sports shut down, there was no NCAA tournament and no concerts that year?

I got the PE after jab # 4 and before I tested positive for Covid.
Which means it can absolutely be related to your Covid, because that's a known complication from it.

And getting the vaccine at the same time you get Covid can have usual impacts, as well - which is why they recommend you WAIT to get the vaccine until after recovering for several weeks.

A: It's "Omicron" not "Omnicron"
B: You are a LIAR. Omicron lineage is traced directly back to prior variants.
YOU ARE a LIAR bonehead. Thanks for the spelling correction too dip wad. It does not trace back to prior variants whatsoever. You're a joke.

7b. Omicron Variantgenetics are older than and lineage does not connect back to Dec 2019 ‘wild’ type

Finally, emergence of the Omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2 in Botswana in November of 2021 presents another post October 2019 falsification-level event. The Omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2 has alarmed many scientists due to the sheer number of genetic mutations it carries — 93 in all, including 32 in the spike protein alone, 16 silent, 27 nucleotide deletions, 3 nucleotide/amino acid insertions, and at least 43 mutations that are unique to Omicron (see both left and right hand panels in Exhibit 7.7 below).26 27 28 In all, Omicron’s mutation set bears 29% nucleotide deletions, which is highly divergent as compared to the known SARS-CoV-2 phylogeny shown on the left side of Exhibit 7.7 below. This percentage of deletions (27 of 93) and amino acid mutations (50 of 93) both far exceed the number of much more likely silent-synonymous mutations (16 of 93). This suggests that the ‘deletions’ are rather actually ‘insertions’ which occurred in the lineage to the 2 Feb 2020 Alpha Variant Clade 20B. The terminology inversion stemming from an effort to stuff a 10 pound virus divergence into a 2 pound bag of posterity. We will treat these generically (conservatively) as INDELs (insertion-deletions) therefore in the genetic clock analysis later in this segment of Question #7.

Under this paradigm, if Omicron turns out to be highly transmissible but mild in terms of symptomatic severity – then it has a great likelihood of being the direct descendant of the pre-Wuhan 2018/19, 173 nation (Zone I and II in Exhibit 4.5 above) immunity-conferring strain of Covid conjectured within this article.
Exhibit 7.7 – Nextclade: clade assignment, mutation calling and quality control for viral genomes (21K Omicron – Sequence QLD-2568 – 2 Dec 202129
As well, Omicron carries 3 amino acid insertion mutations (ins214EPE) which do not exist in any extant clade of SARS-CoV-2, but does exist in other human alpha and beta coronaviruses.30 If this insertion occurred as the result of ‘template switching’ in a human coronavirus co-infected individual, then the other alleles in Omicron should have matched the lineage of one of our known clades. It didn’t. Thus, we face a confounded problem in trying to stuff Omicron artificially into a recent (<2 year) timeline of origin. In the timeline developed from GISAID data in the left hand panel of Exhibit 7.7 for instance,31 the exceptional red clade-line, which suggests a narrative-comforming lineage for Omicron, is an assumption and not a derivation.

“We probably missed many generations of recombinations” that occurred over time and that led to the emergence of Omicron, Soundararajan added.
Venky Soundararajan of Cambridge, Chief Scientific Officer of EMR data analytics firm nference
This confounding, along with the evidence presented below, indicates that Omicron’s genetic particulars constitute not merely mutations, but more importantly alleles which pre-date, not post-date, our best index case of SARS-CoV-2 in Oct/Dec 2019 (according to Chinese and other narratives). In other words the genetic last common ancestor (LCA, aka ‘MRCA’) which birthed Omicron existed well prior to the Wuhan wild and B.1 variants of Oct – Dec 2019. Again, this is not inductive evidence (as has been used to assemble the Wuhan/China/WHO wet market chronology), but is rather much stronger deductive inference. The entailed calculations and logic are outlined below and in Exhibit 7.9.

Multiple studies have estimated that SARS-CoV-2 mutations occur at the rate of 1 x 10-4 (measured by survival in population)32 to 1.1 x 10-3 raw mutations per nucleotide per year.33 These extremes are shown in Exhibit 7.8 below. This equates to .0001 to .0011 mutations per nucleotide per year, with an average of .0006. Since the sustaining of a mutated clade-member or especially novel variant occurs at a slower rate than the raw rate of mutation,34 we err conservatively towards the survival rate, or .00036 (.0006 x .6 or 3.6 x 10-4) mutations per nucleotide per year, based upon the arrival rate of new sustainable mutations in the circulating population.

ADVERTISEMENT