ADVERTISEMENT

Fox Sports consults Big Ten in media rights negotiations

In some ways college FB not having a governing body lets it move and change more quickly than other sports. See the Big Ten creating BTN. I do see the rationale of what you are saying, however. But you are assuming that the conferences would ever agree to be ruled by one person or one body. They won't, I don't think.
They are making decisions to maximize their $, and in that respect they are making the right moves. My issue is that college athletics shouldn’t be about making money.

All that money could be drastically reducing tuition, or providing athletic opportunities for swimming or gymnastics athletes at Oklahoma State, as an example. Instead it is going to go to pay coaches even more money, build ridiculous facilities and get redirected to NIL where we are handing 18 year old from broken homes hundreds of thousands of dollars and wondering why they get in trouble.

They are making decisions to maximize their $, and in that respect they are making the right moves. My issue is that college athletics shouldn’t be about making money.

All that money could be drastically reducing tuition, or providing athletic opportunities for swimming or gymnastics athletes at Oklahoma State, as an example. Instead it is going to go to pay coaches even more money, build ridiculous facilities and get redirected to NIL where we are handing 18 year old from broken homes hundreds of thousands of dollars and wondering why they get in trouble.
Kids from "unbroken" homes make decisions that are just as stupid.

I think it would take more than what can realistically be generated by athletics to reduce tuition by an amount that makes a difference. If perhaps $50M from athletic department revenues were given to the university to reduce tuition for all 30,000 students it works out to about $1670 per student. It helps, but doesn't really move the needle.

Today, the football revenue (in addition to paying coaches a lot and funding facilities) does pay for all the non-revenue sports (men and women). You have non-revenue sport coaches that are getting paid very well, with facilities and travel budgets that are also very good. That's great, I'm all for opportunities for all those sports. I think what you are getting at is that many schools (such as Alabama) just choose to not offer many sports so they can plow even more money into football.

We shall see. I bet the majority of Americans won't be paying extra money to watch college football, especially the direction the economy is gonna go.

We'll see Mr woke...
That's the problem captian 100. They aren't paying extra, they already have those.

You're viewing it like an old guy, they have all the streaming and no cable and more and more are going to that model everyday

Amazon wants to broadcast games so that we have to spend $120 or more a year for a Prime membership

What does Peacock cost per month?

Messy is right

Not sure if you're serious, but if so peacock is free....

Going to Amazon or apple would be so idiotic that it'll prolly happen ;)

I am serious.

Want to watch NFL Thursday Night Football? You need to be an Amazon Prime member.

The Cost: $14.99 plus tax/month or $139 plus tax/year.

From Amazon.com:

A new era of Thursday Night Football is coming to Amazon Prime Video

Prime Video is the exclusive home of Thursday Night Football beginning in 2022. Fans can catch 15 regular season games starting on September 15th. All are included with Prime. Not a Prime member yet? Go to Prime Video home to join.

That's the way the world is going guys. Quit being 100 years old

630_jgtv-ii.gif

I think it would take more than what can realistically be generated by athletics to reduce tuition by an amount that makes a difference. If perhaps $50M from athletic department revenues were given to the university to reduce tuition for all 30,000 students it works out to about $1670 per student. It helps, but doesn't really move the needle.

Today, the football revenue (in addition to paying coaches a lot and funding facilities) does pay for all the non-revenue sports (men and women). You have non-revenue sport coaches that are getting paid very well, with facilities and travel budgets that are also very good. That's great, I'm all for opportunities for all those sports. I think what you are getting at is that many schools (such as Alabama) just choose to not offer many sports so they can plow even more money into football.
I know what you are getting at but at the end of the day Iowa is at the lower end of sports offered. Alabama (your example) offers exactly the same number of sports as Iowa until women's wrestling goes live at that point Iowa will have one more than Alabama. Not an example of Alabama plowing all their money into football.

To bring it closer to home, Iowa offers 16 sports (combining CC and track and not counting women's wrestling). Ohio state offers 32 (combining the shooting and not counting spirit squad), Michigan offers 25, and even lowly Indiana offers 20 sports. If there is a school that is plowing all of the money into football (and basketball) it is Iowa to the detriment of the nonrevenue sports, not the blue blood football programs.

Actually, only a portion of Peacock is free. Much of their content, including sports, is either pay-for or requires "TV provider sign-in".

What it basically means is that, if you want your college football, you will have to pay vs. just using free or low-cost streaming packages.

Hopefully, it will also lead to ala carte streaming opportunities, something cable and satellite never did well, at least from a consumer perspective.
Yes, Sir, we offer ala carte, but you'll need to pay just a litttttllllle bit more $$$.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
I am serious.

Want to watch NFL Thursday Night Football? You need to be an Amazon Prime member.

The Cost: $14.99 plus tax/month or $139 plus tax/year.

From Amazon.com:

A new era of Thursday Night Football is coming to Amazon Prime Video

Prime Video is the exclusive home of Thursday Night Football beginning in 2022. Fans can catch 15 regular season games starting on September 15th. All are included with Prime. Not a Prime member yet? Go to Prime Video home to join.
I won't give Amazon a penny! Shame on everyone that does :(

That's the problem captian 100. They aren't paying extra, they already have those.

You're viewing it like an old guy, they have all the streaming and no cable and more and more are going to that model everyday
What percentage of people have those? Link?

I know what you are getting at but at the end of the day Iowa is at the lower end of sports offered. Alabama (your example) offers exactly the same number of sports as Iowa until women's wrestling goes live at that point Iowa will have one more than Alabama. Not an example of Alabama plowing all their money into football.

To bring it closer to home, Iowa offers 16 sports (combining CC and track and not counting women's wrestling). Ohio state offers 32 (combining the shooting and not counting spirit squad), Michigan offers 25, and even lowly Indiana offers 20 sports. If there is a school that is plowing all of the money into football (and basketball) it is Iowa to the detriment of the nonrevenue sports, not the blue blood football programs.
I count 20 sports listed on the Iowa site. Women's track and men's track are separate sports. You wouldn't say men's and women's basketball are the same sport. Alabama offers 17 according to their athletics site.

I get why people say this but once you pay your bill for 3.5 hours of drinking, eating, tax and tip…. Well, for me anyway that would come to about $40 on its own. I’d rather pay $5 a month for Peacock than spend $40 for one game.

Yeah, but it’s the bar! My funeral will be in a bar. :)

I count 20 sports listed on the Iowa site. Women's track and men's track are separate sports. You wouldn't say men's and women's basketball are the same sport. Alabama offers 17 according to their athletics site.
I count 17 for each, if you consider CC and track the same sport. Almost all of the sports are the same except AL has mens swimming and mens tennis which Iowa doesn't and Iowa has field hockey and wrestling that AL doesn't.

UIowa claims it fields 22:

A member of the Big Ten Conference since 1899, the University of Iowa fields varsity teams in 22 sports.

22 would be counting track and cross country as different sports (I combined them for all of the teams I listed). The page you linked to also has men's tennis listed which the University cut last year. Odd that it would include tennis on this page when they don't include men's swimming and gymnastics that were cut at the same time.

FB
VB
FH
CC/Track - M
CC/Track - W
Soccer - W
Golf - M
Golf - W
Tennis - W
Rowing
Wrestling - M
BB -M
BB - W
Gymn - W
Swim - W
Baseball
SB

Reduce tuition? How bout we just make it so it doesn’t go up by x2 normal inflation. Ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT