ADVERTISEMENT

Fran 2 foul rule

Most of Iowa’s big men picked up two fouls in the first half as the refs were whistle happy in the first half.

Just stupid leaving keegan on the bench the rest of first half with the team struggling.

Not to mention hot head idiot getting a technical foul
Here we go again.

If Keegan drew his 3rd foul in the first half you might as well hand the game to IN. Iowa needs him in the 2nd half, hopefully when the officials try to even up the calls.

Just stupid leaving keegan on the bench the rest of first half with the team struggling.

Actually there isn’t a much better example of that rule working like it’s intended. Fran coached a good game…..that second half might be our best half of the year….maybe.

seemed to work pretty well……as gor the T. the call was terrible. sometimes you just can’t sit on your butt and take it//////team seemed to play with a lot more gire and intensity.

Keegan has had a tendency in the past to pick up fouls in bunches and the team cannot afford for him to get a third foul in the half. With two fouls, he can be a lot more aggressive in the 2nd half. If he starts a half with three fouls, Indiana would have scored at will with whoever Keegan was guarding.

Meh, Kris stepping up the way he did allowed Keegan to stay on the bench. I don’t love that Fran basically makes it a hard and fast rule, but I didn’t have a problem with him sitting Keegan for the stretch tonight.

Thank goodness for his rule. We really needed Keegan’s availability down the stretch. Proud of Coach for sticking up for his team when they were getting worked over by incompetent referees.

Actually there isn’t a much better example of that rule working like it’s intended. Fran coached a good game…..that second half might be our best half of the year….maybe.
You must not post very much on this board. The number one rule is you have to bash all the Iowa coaches and really crap on them if they play one of their kids, win or lose. Now shape up. 😇

Thank goodness for his rule. We really needed Keegan’s availability down the stretch. Proud of Coach for sticking up for his team when they were getting worked over by incompetent referees.
Just one of those nights when Keegan was just not going to be able to play a lot of minutes no matter if Fran put him back in during the first half or not. He picked up his 3rd right before the under 16 media timeout in the second half, and then came back in with a bit over 12 minutes left. He then got his 4th with 10:54 left.

Then Fran waited until 6:50 to bring him back in. Was able to finish the game after that. The reason it "worked" was that Kris stepped up, as well as Perkins and Ulis, in the second half to give Iowa the scoring needed to get over the hump. Things may or may not have turned out differently if Fran brings him back in during the first half.

Whatever the team found in the second half around defense and getting loose balls, need that to carry over into other games. Second half, Indiana was 9-22, 3-9 from 3, and turned it over 14 times. And Iowa out-rebounded them 22-11. A complete half. Some of it was silly/careless turnovers, but the effort was so much better. It didn't hurt that Indiana also went 5-11 on free throws. First half was really Indiana just dominating in getting to the basket, they went 14-18 on 2-point shots, mostly dunks and layups. They did turn it over 9 times in the first half, but Iowa gave it back 8 times.

I will concede that the last 5 minutes of a game have a slightly higher value than the other minutes. But a basket is still a basket, whether it is in minute 11, 18, or 39.
What gets me is how lazy it is. Sit through minute 20 regardless of whats happening on the court, but at minute 21, youre good to go again!
The goal is to have your best players on the court as much as possible. This can be hindered by A. Fouling out or B. Sitting your guys to avoid the possibility of fouling out. Fran is so afraid of A happening that he is achieving the same negative outcome by employing B.
If you keep a guy playing and he fouls out, well hey, at least you know you maximized their on court time. You sit them half the game and they finish with 4 fouls, that's lost minutes.

Here we go again.

If Keegan drew his 3rd foul in the first half you might as well hand the game to IN. Iowa needs him in the 2nd half, hopefully when the officials try to even up the calls.
WRONG
last I saw you get 5 fouls in a game…
nobody has ever fouled out with 4….

a coaching blunder is to have Keegan guard TDJ when keegan is in foul trouble, put Ogundele, Rebraca, kris, but for the love of god not Keegan, but ooof, that’s what we did….

WRONG
last I saw you get 5 fouls in a game…
nobody has ever fouled out with 4….

a coaching blunder is to have Keegan guard TDJ when keegan is in foul trouble, put Ogundele, Rebraca, kris, but for the love of god not Keegan, but ooof, that’s what we did….
Keegan was guarding Thompson. He might have helped on TDJ but in man he was on Thompson.

Keegan was guarding Thompson. He might have helped on TDJ but in man he was on Thompson.
2 small forwards guarding 2 C-PF, with no defensive support from the other ‘forward’ including CMac

this is exactly what I refer to when I constantly say the small lineup over exposes Keegan to fouls, and directly to a reduction in his production.

use Rebraca and Ogundele for the dirty defensive work, Conner as a big is worthless defensively,

this coaching blunder nearly cost IOWA a game vs a 2nd tier team at home…

2 small forwards guarding 2 C-PF, with no defensive support from the other ‘forward’ including CMac

this is exactly what I refer to when I constantly say the small lineup over exposes Keegan to fouls, and directly to a reduction in his production.

use Rebraca and Ogundele for the dirty defensive work, Conner as a big is worthless defensively,

You're an idiot.

Connor played a very good game defensively last night.....got his hand on two or three passes to deflect them and allowed Iowa to get turnovers. On the flip side he hit a three and made his free throws.....this game isn't one to bash Connor for unless it's just a hate thing.

Fran actually called a good game and did some amazing coaching to get things turned around at halftime while dealing with some really poor officiating.

Yeah, and he sat when the refs were on an Iowa foul binge. Iowa can’t afford to not have Keegan in the last 5 min.
Sure. The fact of the matter is Kris Murray played out of his mind, and saved Fran's ass.

If everyday Kris Murray shows up last night they go home with an L, and Keegan gets to play the last 5 minutes to pad his stats.

It's not a hard and fast rule. Rebraca was in late in the first half with 2 fouls. Josh O also had 2 fouls and played late in the 1st half. Fran chose to try and protect Keegan from getting his 3rd foul.

I guess you enjoy getting reamed in the rear at home. Most Iowa fans, and certainly our coach, do not. I don't know who that curly haired idiot was that was reffing the game, but he was clearly only watching the events at one end of the court. I totally understood the T.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Connor played a very good game defensively last night.....got his hand on two or three passes to deflect them and allowed Iowa to get turnovers. On the flip side he hit a three and made his free throws.....this game isn't one to bash Connor for unless it's just a hate thing.

Fran actually called a good game and did some amazing coaching to get things turned around at halftime while dealing with some really poor officiating.
Fran completely outcoached Woodson in this one. That Indiana team was rattled. They committed turnover after turnover. We were the tougher and better coached team last night by a lot. The horrible officiating made it a closer game than it should have been.

Agree with the OP that it is a terrible blanket philosophy. Should depend on your team, bench, situation etc.
Is it a blanket philosophy though? Because he played Rebraca and Ogundele in the first half when they had 2 fouls each.

Reactions: perryhawk
It's not a hard and fast rule. Rebraca was in late in the first half with 2 fouls. Josh O also had 2 fouls and played late in the 1st half. Fran chose to try and protect Keegan from getting his 3rd foul.

Yes he did, which means it's a hard and fast rule if you're a good player. Nobody cares if Rebraca or Josh O fouls out, or shouldn't if they do, IMO.

Yes he did, which means it's a hard and fast rule if you're a good player. Nobody cares if Rebraca or Josh O fouls out, or shouldn't if they do, IMO.

Luka played with 2 fouls in the first half more than once in his Iowa career.

Just out of curiosity, who do you think coaches Kris Murray?
Don't you mean who was forced to let a hot Kris Murray keep playing because his brother was relegated to "personal foul pergatory"?

Kris played the most minutes of his career. I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest it was way more than what the plan was at tipoff, and the only reason it worked was because Kris played out of his mind. Thankfully for Iowa, and Fran, because if he doesn't, Fran's post game presser has a whole different feel to it.............

Fran got bailed out by Kris Murray. Hopefully he's out shopping for a nice new ride for Kris as a big Thank You.

Like it or not but many coaches have the 2 foul rule.

And Keegan ended up with 4 fouls in the end.

If Keegan would have gotten his 3rd foul in the first half instead of early in the 2nd half, people would have been bitching that Fran should have sat him until the 2nd half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT