ADVERTISEMENT

Fran Answers Why Moss & Francis left & whether he will he hire a Defensive Guru

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Chad Leistikow of HawkCentral interviewed Fran. This is Part 1 of a two part series. This is a really good read.

As you will see, I think this answers a lot of open questions.

Regarding why Moss left: He wants more shots and more minutes. And Moss' father told an Illinois fan website that Moss desired a better fit to help him reach the next level.

McCaffery: “I really, really like Isaiah Moss. I have a great relationship with him. Tremendous respect for him. Been a really good player for us for a long time. I hope it works out for him. I really do.

“He will make shots. He is a great locker-room presence. Every one of his teammates loves him. He’s going to play hard. He’s not going to be in trouble, ever. He’s a really good person. Wherever he goes, he’s going to give them what he’s got.

“Fourth-leading scorer (actually fifth, at 9.2 points a game). Fourth on the team in shots (276). Fourth on the team in minutes (24.1 a game). I’m just assuming, he wants to be first or second on the team in shots. First or second on the team in minutes. I’m sure that’s what he’s looking for, and I hope that’s what he finds.”

On why Andrew Francis left:

McCaffery: “I think he felt like he wanted a change. He started his career at Villanova, came with me to Siena, came with me here. He’s spent his career on the East Coast, in the Midwest. I think he feels like now he’s on the West Coast, it really provides him with a broad-based resume to get a head-coaching job. I would’ve thought he’d been a head coach by now. He’s been close on a few.

“Hopefully getting some West Coast experience will help.

“He’s one of the great ones.”

Will Fran Hire a Defensive Guru or an Assistant focused on Recruiting:

McCaffery, who will turn 60 later this month, said he instead preferred to find a well-rounded coach. He was expecting to name a Francis replacement next week.

McCaffery: “I look for somebody who’s good in every area. You’ve got to be able to coach as it relates to breaking teams down. Scouting. Relationships with players. Relationships in recruiting. To be able to speak to alumni groups. You’ve got to be able to do it all. The reason for that is, I’m not able to be in this office every day. Whatever comes through that door, any one of my guys has to be able to handle it.

“The other thing is, professionally, I want that person — whoever it is — to have an opportunity to be a head coach. If you only specialize in one thing, you can’t ever be a head coach. A lot of guys over the years have been utilized in that way. Well, he’s my recruiter. He’s my defensive guy. He’s my administrative guy. Those guys move over one chair, and they’re in over their head.

“Nobody ever did that to me. So I’m not going to do that to them.”

LINK to FULL Article: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...ok-jordan-bohannon-andrew-francis/3665856002/

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_wic6m41528ao4
SIAP somewhere else, but Moss has not graduated yet, which has to happen before he can officially transfer to Arkansas.

Moss has to take (and pass) summer courses at Iowa before he officially graduates from Iowa. Not sure if he will physically be in Iowa City or if he can move to Arkansas and take UI courses online.

Interesting development, at least to me. If he is still in Iowa City, I am guessing he can still put up shots at the practice facility?

SIAP somewhere else, but Moss has not graduated yet, which has to happen before he can officially transfer to Arkansas.

Moss has to take (and pass) summer courses at Iowa before he officially graduates from Iowa. Not sure if he will physically be in Iowa City or if he can move to Arkansas and take UI courses online.

Interesting development, at least to me. If he is still in Iowa City, I am guessing he can still put up shots at the practice facility?

We have heard the rumors, he still needs to complete class work.

Interesting question, does Fran allow him to practice all summer here? I would doubt that very much.

What if he does not complete the courses in time? DII his option? Other than the D league...

I have read several instances on comments about & from Moss' dad. I really think that guy has fed his son a lot of bad information that have influenced his future. It certainly sounds like he has... Sucks for Isaiah.

He should have finished his career here on a high note..and been known as a good Hawkeye player. Could have made a big impact this year, and been an intrical part in propelling Iowa to the top of the B1G.

OH well

Last edited:
We have heard the rumors he still needs to be completed class work.

Interesting question, does Fran allow him to practice all summer here? I would doubt that very much.

What if he does not complete the courses in time? DII his option? Other than the D league...

I have read several instances on comments about & from Moss' dad. I really think that guy has fed his son a lot of bad information that have influenced his future. It certainly sounds like he has... Sucks for Isaiah.

He should have finished his career here on a high note..and been know as a good Hawkeye player. Could have made a big impact this year, and been an intrical part in propelling Iowa to the top of the B1G.

OH well

Moss handled being benched during games about as well as any player I've seen. A very good attitude. Am sure Fran will let him practice.

He should have finished his career here on a high note..and been know as a good Hawkeye player. Could have made a big impact this year, and been an intrical part in propelling Iowa to the top of the B1G.

OH well
Not rumours. He stated this in interviews.

Ike should’ve stayed, not sure what he expects at Arkansas. Kid has obvious holes in his game. There is a real reason he got pulled in a lot of games. That’s not gonna change.
And plenty of games where his bench time was far too long. Thus another Fran Post Game apology.

OH well
yeah, they are not rumors. he has classes he needs to pass before he can graduate from Iowa and then become a grad transfer to Arkansas.

i wonder, too, did he take the GMAT (graduate management admissions test)? I am assuming he has to take the GMAT & that he has declared a graduate major at Arkansas that was not offered at Iowa. At least that is how these grad transfers were supposed to work.

yeah, they are not rumors. he has classes he needs to pass before he can graduate from Iowa and then become a grad transfer to Arkansas.

i wonder, too, did he take the GMAT (graduate management admissions test)? I am assuming he has to take the GMAT & that he has declared a graduate major at Arkansas that was not offered at Iowa. At least that is how these grad transfers were supposed to work.

More and more graduate programs are eliminating that requirement (GMAT). I'm guessing there are "special" situations where that can be waived as well.

Francis was in the last coaching seat at Iowa. Presumably he is on a higher rung at Cal. No explanation needed.

Francis was in the last coaching seat at Iowa. Presumably he is on a higher rung at Cal. No explanation needed.
But, you are trying to offer explanations on why Francis left.

You are assuming he is on a "higher rung" at Cal. I have not heard that stated by anyone as a reason for leaving Iowa.

So, apparently, explanations are needed for why he left.

:)

Moss going to another program is a huge risk. Some risks pay off huge though. The other side of this risk is he going to program for 1 year, with a new coach that has no relationship or loyalty to him. There could be any number of scenarios where Moss gets less than he did at Iowa in the end. I hope not, but he had better produce from the start.

Too bad moss had so many disappearing acts while at iowa. If not, more people would have thought more fondly of him. Seems to be a good person by all accounts and in the big scheme of things that's good to hear.

Reactions: Bravehawk56
Moss going to another program is a huge risk. Some risks pay off huge though. The other side of this risk is he going to program for 1 year, with a new coach that has no relationship or loyalty to him. There could be any number of scenarios where Moss gets less than he did at Iowa in the end. I hope not, but he had better produce from the start.
and think of the stress. he has to take summer courses at Iowa and graduate first before the transfer can officially occur.

he has to move from Iowa City to Arkansas. Moves are always stressful.

it will be interesting to see how many minutes he plays. he wants more minutes and more shots. well, like you said, that is not guaranteed by heading to Arkansas.

Reactions: And1Hawk
and think of the stress. he has to take summer courses at Iowa and graduate first before the transfer can officially occur.

he has to move from Iowa City to Arkansas. Moves are always stressful.

it will be interesting to see how many minutes he plays. he wants more minutes and more shots. well, like you said, that is not guaranteed by heading to Arkansas.

Say he doesn't graduate, would you take him back coach? The Hawkeye nation wants to know....

Chad Leistikow of HawkCentral interviewed Fran. This is Part 1 of a two part series. This is a really good read.

As you will see, I think this answers a lot of open questions.

Regarding why Moss left: He wants more shots and more minutes. And Moss' father told an Illinois fan website that Moss desired a better fit to help him reach the next level.

McCaffery: “I really, really like Isaiah Moss. I have a great relationship with him. Tremendous respect for him. Been a really good player for us for a long time. I hope it works out for him. I really do.

“He will make shots. He is a great locker-room presence. Every one of his teammates loves him. He’s going to play hard. He’s not going to be in trouble, ever. He’s a really good person. Wherever he goes, he’s going to give them what he’s got.

“Fourth-leading scorer (actually fifth, at 9.2 points a game). Fourth on the team in shots (276). Fourth on the team in minutes (24.1 a game). I’m just assuming, he wants to be first or second on the team in shots. First or second on the team in minutes. I’m sure that’s what he’s looking for, and I hope that’s what he finds.”

On why Andrew Francis left:

McCaffery: “I think he felt like he wanted a change. He started his career at Villanova, came with me to Siena, came with me here. He’s spent his career on the East Coast, in the Midwest. I think he feels like now he’s on the West Coast, it really provides him with a broad-based resume to get a head-coaching job. I would’ve thought he’d been a head coach by now. He’s been close on a few.

“Hopefully getting some West Coast experience will help.

“He’s one of the great ones.”

Will Fran Hire a Defensive Guru or an Assistant focused on Recruiting:

McCaffery, who will turn 60 later this month, said he instead preferred to find a well-rounded coach. He was expecting to name a Francis replacement next week.

McCaffery: “I look for somebody who’s good in every area. You’ve got to be able to coach as it relates to breaking teams down. Scouting. Relationships with players. Relationships in recruiting. To be able to speak to alumni groups. You’ve got to be able to do it all. The reason for that is, I’m not able to be in this office every day. Whatever comes through that door, any one of my guys has to be able to handle it.

“The other thing is, professionally, I want that person — whoever it is — to have an opportunity to be a head coach. If you only specialize in one thing, you can’t ever be a head coach. A lot of guys over the years have been utilized in that way. Well, he’s my recruiter. He’s my defensive guy. He’s my administrative guy. Those guys move over one chair, and they’re in over their head.

“Nobody ever did that to me. So I’m not going to do that to them.”

LINK to FULL Article: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...ok-jordan-bohannon-andrew-francis/3665856002/

Interesting he wants to be one of the top 2 guys at Arkansas. They lose top guy who left early for nba but return 2 guys who avg 13 pts a game last year as underclassman. No clue if Arkansas is bringing in any good freshman. He comes back to Iowa could be in top 4 at very least with JBo, wieskamp and Garza. Just seems like he is probably going to end up in same situation there. Seems like a lot of the grass is greener on the other side mentality with his dad and him.

Reactions: icwestisthebest
And plenty of games where his bench time was far too long. Thus another Fran Post Game apology.
nope . when he was put back into those games he did not response as to why he was benched . kids got talent just not sure how much heart he has .

You sure about that coach?

Let me ask you this, could we use him next year?
I completely understand the context, but I don't think you can bring anyone back that has publicly expressed interest in leaving the program. Everyone knows he isn't all in, I think it could lead to some issues.

I completely understand the context, but I don't think you can bring anyone back that has publicly expressed interest in leaving the program. Everyone knows he isn't all in, I think it could lead to some issues.

Yeah, that is a good point. I agree with you there, that it may cause issues... That said, Moss is here practicing. He is here every day with the guys. That has to be awkward...

What if the other guys want him on the team still? What if they talk him into staying? It could happen. Doubtful. But stranger things have happened.

Fran has stated very high regards for Isaiah, at least publicly.

I am still surprised, looking at Arkansas' roster and everyone coming back but a big, that Moss is going there. I cannot see him starting. They have 4 different swing players that are good. And they are underclassmen. I cannot see their coach bumping one of them for a temporary one-year player. That would create big issues for those already on the team. Especially since they will all be back in 2020-2021, presumably.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT