ADVERTISEMENT

Fran bristles when asked about this season

Ihawkhoops

HR All-American
Dec 10, 2015
As I posted earlier today, I could possibly stomach this season if I thought Fran had any degree of ownership or accountability. Listen to his quotes and formulate your opinion. "You shouldn't even be bringing it up" is awesomely arrogant. Right Fran, you owe the fan base nothing. Just shut up and pay me and if you think about firing me, you owe me $10 M.

Props to the reporter who asked the question. Fran has the softest media in the big ten and he can't man up and give an honest answer to the one tough question he has been asked this year. This is clearly Fran's ego vs. reality. Look at your record Fran. Maybe a conciliatory comment like "Hey, I am disappointed. I know the players and fans are too. Clearly we have to improve in a lot of areas and it's my job to make sure those improvements happen in the off season." Instead he gets offended and tells the reporter he shouldn't even bring it up. Arrogance personified.

As I posted earlier today, I could possibly stomach this season if I thought Fran had any degree of ownership or accountability. Listen to his quotes and formulate your opinion. "You shouldn't even be bringing it up" is awesomely arrogant. Right Fran, you owe the fan base nothing. Just shut up and pay me and if you think about firing me, you owe me $10 M.

Props to the reporter who asked the question. Fran has the softest media in the big ten and he can't man up and give an honest answer to the one tough question he has been asked this year. This is clearly Fran's ego vs. reality. Look at your record Fran. Maybe a conciliatory comment like "Hey, I am disappointed. I know the players and fans are too. Clearly we have to improve in a lot of areas and it's my job to make sure those improvements happen in the off season." Instead he gets offended and tells the reporter he shouldn't even bring it up. Arrogance personified.

Nice job picking one 45 sec blip to drive your argument.
Fran has many times said he is responsible and none of them are happy with the season.
People shouldn't be bringing it up because honestly its none of anyone's business but Barta and Fran.

Fran has many times said he is responsible and none of them are happy with the season.
People shouldn't be bringing it up because honestly its none of anyone's business but Barta and Fran.
lol1.gif

“Body of work”
?!?!!

Man...

The fact of the matter is that, based on his body of work, this dude would have already been shown the door at at least 9 of 14 B1G programs. He should be grateful he coaches here rather than telling a reporter he “shouldn’t even be bringing it up.”

He’s disconnected from reality.

Last edited:
Fran's ego is mainly the driving force behind this turd of a season. Couldnt admit until 3/4 of way thru season that defense was a problem, won't alter his garbage substitutions, and has continually all year made it seem like the struggles are because they're playing the toughest schedule in the country.

Reactions: JAMAM and K OKeefe
“Body of work”
?!?!!

You mean this overall body of work at Iowa?
  • Overall: 149-118 (56%)
  • Big 10: 67-75 (47%)
Or this overall body of work as a head coach:
As a head coach, Fran has been to the NCAA tourney exactly 7 times (3 of those times while at Sienna)

Sorry, but when you really look at Fran's overall body of work ... well ... :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
You mean this overall body of work at Iowa?
  • Overall: 149-118 (56%)
  • Big 10: 67-75 (47%)
Or this overall body of work in 33 years as a head coach:
As a head coach since 1985, Fran has been to the NCAA tourney exactly 7 times (3 of those times while at Sienna)

Sorry, but when you really look at Fran's overall body of work ... well ... :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
The overall record is impacted by following Lickliter, but, season 8 is basically his worst at Iowa.

The overall record is impacted by following Lickliter, but, season 8 is basically his worst at Iowa.

Never understood this argument. The majority of coaches replace fired coaches. Why is Fran entitled to some kind asterisk of special consideration next to his record?

He shouldn’t be.

Not quite sure I agree with your assessment.
His evaluation by Admin and that conversation is not anyone elses business.
Fran is clearly feeling the heat, and he should. Whether that was from Barta, boosters, fans attacking him and his kids who knows but only a idiot looking to grind salt in a wound tries to get a coach to say his boss ripped his a$$.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Never understood this argument. The majority of coaches replace fired coaches. Why is Fran entitled to some kind asterisk of special consideration next to his record?

He shouldn’t be.
Not necessarily disagreeing with that, just pointing out that many will state the shape of the program when Fran arrived. Iowa will likely win on Sunday to avoid the worst Big 10 season under Fran, but, this is his own program in a really down year for the conference.

As a coach you would think those type of questions would come up if you finish last in your conference. Need to be prepared for it and give the old we will get better answer.

His evaluation by Admin and that conversation is not anyone elses business.
Fran is clearly feeling the heat, and he should. Whether that was from Barta, boosters, fans attacking him and his kids who knows but only a idiot looking to grind salt in a wound tries to get a coach to say his boss ripped his a$$.

The Fran defender returns.

This wasn't grinding salt into any wound. It was an honest question on a real topic. This has been a pathetic season, where coming from last year, we only graduated one player. There is no reason that we should be as bad as we are, and that is something Fran needs to answer for. The guy is raking in the cash and putting out a product that everyone, including you, should be ashamed of. How can you stand behind him while he being a giant asshole to the reporter? That was an absurd answer by Fran, and is unacceptable. It was disrespectful.

Someone who takes ownership , and takes it all the time when they are responsible for a dumpster fire.
Who says he has not taken ownership?
He does not have to answer questions from a reporter or a fan that is upset with the team play.
He may be very upset with the team play but only has to answer to his boss and we do not know
what Barta has said in discussions about it. Until Barta decides he is tired of the results & fires Fran
It's Fran's job to try to improve team play.
We would all bristle if put in the same position.

Reactions: perryhawk
I just know I sure miss the good ole Dr Tom days, You know when Iowa was in the NCAAs every year and usually won the 1st rd games , had a few sweet 16 runs and an Elite 8 , But that wasn't good enough for people, so Iowa is getting a huge dose of karma . Fran is the anti Dr Tom and Barta is the person that should be on the spot and should have been fired long ago, He is flat out incompetent .

He does not have to answer questions from a reporter or a fan that is upset with the team play.
He may be very upset with the team play but only has to answer to his boss and we do not know
what Barta has said in discussions about it. Until Barta decides he is tired of the results & fires Fran
Fran is responsible for this body of work as he says. It is not that great. Mediocre is what I would call it

actually it is part of the job to answer reporters questions at a set up press conference whom the University has given credentials to .

Fran is responsible for this body of work as he says. It is not that great. Mediocre is what I would call it
so explain to me why Barta would give an contract extention to a mediocre Coach who isn't trending in the right direction , a competent AD wouldn't have .

Reactions: Stink_Ferigno
don't speak for other people , a military man would give the proper response to that reporters question, " no excuse"

The Fran defender returns.

This wasn't grinding salt into any wound. It was an honest question on a real topic. This has been a pathetic season, where coming from last year, we only graduated one player. There is no reason that we should be as bad as we are, and that is something Fran needs to answer for. The guy is raking in the cash and putting out a product that everyone, including you, should be ashamed of. How can you stand behind him while he being a giant asshole to the reporter? That was an absurd answer by Fran, and is unacceptable. It was disrespectful.
I agree with the above. I have supported Fran the entire time he has been at Iowa, but his response might be very telling. If he can not publicly admit that his coaching staff has done a very poor job this year and the players have under performed it does not bode well for the future under FM. Because, he is not accepting the fact that they need to make some changes to their core program strategy. If he does not internalize the program shortcomings and address I do not think he will ever accomplish much at Iowa going forward. JMO.

Scott wrote an in-depth article about his contract extension last month. Asking today about job security is stupid and confrontational.

Asking a coach of a team headed for a last-place finish isn't stupid or confrontational. It's a reporter doing his/her job. It's not as if Iowa was a consensus pick for last. Most had them between 6 and 9 in the league. The season has been bad.

It's just as okay for Fran to respond the way he did. I'm not one of the fans clamoring for him to act a certain way with the press. All that matters is how the team plays.

Asking a coach of a team headed for a last-place finish isn't stupid or confrontational. It's a reporter doing his/her job. It's not as if Iowa was a consensus pick for last. Most had them between 6 and 9 in the league. The season has been bad.

It's just as okay for Fran to respond the way he did. I'm not one of the fans clamoring for him to act a certain way with the press. All that matters is how the team plays.

Scott just freaking wrote an article on the extension. You don’t think asking about job security is confrontational???

Find me one quote where Fran has taken any responsibility Would my hypothetical response have been that hard to articulate? Fran better find some humility fast or he will soon be looking and sounding a lot like Alford. That is a demeaning and arrogant response from somebody who professes to be a "Philly" guy.

What are reporters supposed to ask Fran? Where are you going on vacation after Rutgers runs you out of MSG on Wednesday? How do you manage to score 2 points in 8 minutes against Minnesota? So have you talked to the team about possibly winning the BTT and getting the automatic bid? Crimminy, the guy was shaking in his shoes asking the question and wasn't being a jerk about it.

I just know I sure miss the good ole Dr Tom days, You know when Iowa was in the NCAAs every year and usually won the 1st rd games , had a few sweet 16 runs and an Elite 8 , But that wasn't good enough for people, so Iowa is getting a huge dose of karma . Fran is the anti Dr Tom and Barta is the person that should be on the spot and should have been fired long ago, He is flat out incompetent .

I think we all missed those years where Dr Tom went to the NCAA tournament every year.

Dr Tom’s last ten seasons at Iowa they went to tournament 6 out of the 10 years. His last 8 years they went 5 times. Iowa went to the tournament 9 out of 13 years under Dr Tom for 69% of the time. Roughly a third of the time, Iowa missed the dance. Hardly “every year” though.

I think the farther removed we are from Dr Tom, the greater his legend grows. Dr Tom was a pretty good coach, no question, but Iowa was trending downward towards the end of his tenure. The lame duck year set the Iowa program back without question. Blame whoever you want for that.

so explain to me why Barta would give an contract extention to a mediocre Coach who isn't trending in the right direction , a competent AD wouldn't have .

If you are to believe all the Fran and Barta cheerleaders, because Fran had so many options to take a step up and we were in danger of losing him. Just ask Barta and Fran's agent.

“Body of work”
?!?!!

Man...

The fact of the matter is that, based on his body of work, this dude would have already been shown the door at at least 9 of 14 B1G programs. He should be grateful he coaches here rather than telling a reporter he “shouldn’t even be bringing it up.”

He’s disconnected from reality.
Find me one quote where Fran has taken any responsibility Would my hypothetical response have been that hard to articulate? Fran better find some humility fast or he will soon be looking and sounding a lot like Alford. That is a demeaning and arrogant response from somebody who professes to be a "Philly" guy.

What are reporters supposed to ask Fran? Where are you going on vacation after Rutgers runs you out of MSG on Wednesday? How do you manage to score 2 points in 8 minutes against Minnesota? So have you talked to the team about possibly winning the BTT and getting the automatic bid? Crimminy, the guy was shaking in his shoes asking the question and wasn't being a jerk about it.
He's acting like a pompous ass. He needs to answer the hard questions

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT