ADVERTISEMENT

Fran gets a big in the portal; Josh O coming back?

A super motivated Josh O filling one of our 3 open scholly s sounds ok to me.
Does not preclude adding another big in portal.
Now go after it Josh!

Interesting. Not a development that I would have expected as I thought he'd move to a lower level and be a more regular contributor.
Even with the limitations at the 5 position on the roster, expectations for Josh would probably not be more than 10 minutes a game.
Hope he has a good summer and is able to be in better physical condition come fall.

Roster could still really use a big that's ready to go as well as an experienced primary ball handler at the 1.

Don't get it. Ogundele just isn't a Big Ten player. Not skilled enough, not athletic enough, doesn't fit Fran's style of play at all. I know his teammates love him which is great, but I just don't see him ever making a consistent impact.

The same folks who were complaining about possibly banking scholarships are now complaining about us bringing back a depth piece lol. Here's the reality, if Josh works his butt off and gets into shape and continues to improve his game then he could possibly give us more quality spot minutes this year. And if he doesn't, then Fran will have another hard talk with him next spring and send him back into the portal. Teams shouldn't play 13 guys deep anyways--this hurts literally no one.

The same folks who were complaining about possibly banking scholarships are now complaining about us bringing back a depth piece lol. Here's the reality, if Josh works his butt off and gets into shape and continues to improve his game then he could possibly give us more quality spot minutes this year. And if he doesn't, then Fran will have another hard talk with him next spring and send him back into the portal. Teams shouldn't play 13 guys deep anyways--this hurts literally no one.
Same folks?

Reactions: BrunoMars420
I'm cool with Josh coming back. He either doesn't improve much and doesn't play much or improves significantly and provides some very valuable minutes. He showed he can be productive in the 2 Purdue games and it sounds like there's going to be open scholarships regardless so how is this not a positive?

Reactions: Mohawkeye
We don't win the Big Ten championship without Ogundele playing solid minutes against Purdue. Call it luck, or call it anything you want, but he contributed that day. If he's good for eight minutes a game as a defensive matchup against a true big man, he helps this team. I don't consider him a liability on defense, and he helps others stay out of foul trouble. If he ever develops offensively, that's a bonus.

Has Josh been working out with the team since he entered the portal? has he been part of the pick-up games in North Liberty Fran has mentioned?

Don't get it. Ogundele just isn't a Big Ten player. Not skilled enough, not athletic enough, doesn't fit Fran's style of play at all. I know his teammates love him which is great, but I just don't see him ever making a consistent impact.
Wrong. He is skilled and athletic enough. We’ve had guys who have been slower than him & have fit Fran’s style just fine.

You don’t have the impact he had in the Purdue BTT game if you’re “not a Big Ten player”

Welcome back Big Jelly, we’re happy to have you.

I do suspect this means Fran is not optimistic about landing a big in the portal.
Box is checked.

Reactions: dekhawk
Wrong. He is skilled and athletic enough. We’ve had guys who have been slower than him & have fit Fran’s style just fine.

You don’t have the impact he had in the Purdue BTT game if you’re “not a Big Ten player”

Welcome back Big Jelly, we’re happy to have you.
If he doesn't get in better shape he will never have more than a fleeting minute here or there. I am not optimistic as he's had 2 years to do so. Light can always come on, hope he takes advantage of the opportunity.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
If he doesn't get in better shape he will never have more than a fleeting minute here or there. I am not optimistic as he's had 2 years to do so. Light can always come on, hope he takes advantage of the opportunity.
Give the kid a break. He struggled with long-term COVID issues. Kind of difficult to judge his fitness knowing that.

Woof.. nothing against JO but that’s not moving the needle
You have no idea about that. Big guys take longer and I keep hearing about Frans ability to develop players so why not Josh? It's not like he's been around 5 years already like the other guy coming back. He showed he was capable the few times he was given a chance this year, should have played more IMO and the fans love him. Considering Frans track record in portal I'll take it

Let's find a cloud in this silver lining!

🙄
Just being realistic. I doubt Fran will carry Josh,Mulvey, Rebraca and another big from the portal.
You think I am wrong?
Already said I am ok with Josh O.back.

Just being realistic. I doubt Fran will carry Josh,Mulvey, Rebraca and another big from the portal.
You think I am wrong?
Already said I am ok with Josh O.back.
I might have read part of what you said wrong but I'm pretty sure he's still looking. Pretty hard to back out at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT