ADVERTISEMENT

Fran gets a big in the portal; Josh O coming back?

I cannot for the life of me understand people being negative about Big O returning. We certainly need the depth at the 4/5 positions and I hate to break it to you folks, but Aimaq is not likely going to be a Hawkeye, I think you can bank on that.

if Josh commits himself to getting better conditioned and works on his offensive game, he could be a solid bench guy next season, I know I'll be rooting for him because I love his attitude!

He’s had two years in the program. After two years in the program, Acie Earl, Les Jepsen and Brad Lohaus looked terrible. They all went on to play in the NBA.

Acie Earl averaged 16 points and 7 rebounds his sophomore year.

That's terrible?

Lohaus averaged 7 and 5 his sophomore year. His best year was 11 and 7 in his senior year. He had intangibles, though. If Josh Ogundele ever averages 7 and 5 and can hit a few triples, I'll come back and eat crow for a year.

Jepsen is the only player who you're actually right about.

Last edited:
If Ogundele receives big minutes at Iowa in the next 2 years, Iowa will not a contender for a Big Ten title unless he magically transforms his body and radically improves his basketball skills. Love him all you want for the few minutes he gets while he's at Iowa. Call him Big O or Big Jelly or what ever but giving him a catchy nickname isn't going to change who he is.
His teammates seem excited for his return so it's not the end of the world that he chose to come back.
Austin Ash was put on scholarship last year and many on here complained that he didn't deserve it. Ogundele was recruited to be on scholarship and many on here think he's worthy of a scholarship, sorry but I'm not seeing much difference between to 2. Not every player sees extended minutes.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GoEagles23
If Ogundele receives big minutes at Iowa in the next 2 years, Iowa will not a contender for a Big Ten title unless he magically transforms his body and radically improves his basketball skills. Love him all you want for the few minutes he gets while he's at Iowa. Call him Big O or Big Jelly or what ever but giving him a catchy nickname isn't going to change who he is.
His teammates seem excited for his return so it's not the end of the world that he chose to come back.
Austin Ash was put on scholarship last year and many on here complained that he didn't deserve it. Ogundele was recruited to be on scholarship and many on here think he's worthy of a scholarship, sorry but I'm not seeing much difference between to 2. Not every player sees extended minutes.
Really? Not seeing the difference? Can Ash take the 7'3"guy from Purdue on the block and score on him, and keep him defended in the post? Ah No. I have no idea if Josh can overcome these apparent health issues and get himself into good enough shape to give Fran 12-15 minutes next year. If he can, it would give the hawks a HUGE lift, especially against teams that have a true post player. Please don't tell us that Ash could provide this missing piece....Ash was a good team mate and practice player, nothing more...

Acie Earl averaged 16 points and 7 rebounds his sophomore year.

That's terrible?

Lohaus averaged 7 and 5 his sophomore year. His best year was 11 and 7 in his senior year. He had intangibles, though. If Josh Ogundele ever averages 7 and 5 and can hit a few triples, I'll come back and eat crow for a year.

Jepsen is the only player who you're actually right about.
Again you show that you don’t know what you’re talking about. Earl redshirted his first year in the program. In his second year in the program, he averaged 6ppg and 3.5rpg while shooting 44% from the field for a squad that desperately needed production.

Reactions: BBHawk
As for Lohaus, he shot 40% from the field as a 7-footer. He got a lot of minutes that year because it was another bad Iowa team, but to imply he had a highly productive season is laughable.

A tip: People aren’t going to take your opinions seriously until you can demonstrate a basic understanding of the facts.

Reactions: BBHawk
With the open scholarships, having Big O come back is a no lose scenario. I agree with those who say he will probably never be a major contributor on the court. Still, if he is a good teammate, a valuable practice player, and maybe contributes some fill-in minutes when others are in foul trouble or dinged up, he will be a welcome addition. We still need a big man from the portal, besides Josh.

Reactions: perryhawk
As for Lohaus, he shot 40% from the field as a 7-footer. He got a lot of minutes that year because it was another bad Iowa team, but to imply he had a highly productive season is laughable.

A tip: People aren’t going to take your opinions seriously until you can demonstrate a basic understanding of the facts.

Cool. That's gonna help me sleep better at night.

Reactions: chaneccooms
ADVERTISEMENT