ADVERTISEMENT

Fran Gets A Pass This Year

Oh the horror of being ignored by a whiny bitch. You do nothing but whine and complain on both the football and basketball forums and add nothing worth reading. Time for you to be ignored mwahaha!
Likewise.

Nobody should be given a free pass. If coaches are given free passes, they get complacent in what they do. The media and fans need to hold Fran accountable for his mistakes when fair.

There is no reason to fire a coach for one slip-up or bad season unless it's catastrophically bad. As long as progress is visible by the end, most people will be fine.

Nobody should be given a free pass. If coaches are given free passes, they get complacent in what they do. The media and fans need to hold Fran accountable for his mistakes when fair.

There is no reason to fire a coach for one slip-up or bad season unless it's catastrophically bad. As long as progress is visible by the end, most people will be fine.
I will say that it's encouraging that Fran is willing to start FR over upperclassmen.

I agree with those that say Weiskamp is not a great athlete in terms of pure athleticism. But he is highly skilled and that is what got him his ranking.

When you have to exaggerate to try to make a point, perhaps it isn't a point.
I admitted I made a mistake. I thought it was a 20 pt loss. It turns out that it was worse, IMO. Would it have been better if I simply said "3 blowout losses in a row, in Tourney play"?

Exactly and for all those whining about Fran's poor year every coach going all the way back to Lute Olson had a season or 2 where they had a drop off. Lute in his 4th year was only 12-15 which was 7-8 wins less than his 2nd and 3rd years. Dr Tom had some down years being only 11-16 in his 8th year and Alford obviously had some poor years too. But as it's said already not like Fran is steering us down the path of the Lick years of a team getting worse and worse and players leaving left and right. Almost every non blue blood program has missteps in recruiting or suffer from a down year here or there. In Iowa's case that is this year but look at our freshman class along with some decent additions from sophs with Baer and Wagner along with good incoming recruits.

I admitted I made a mistake. I thought it was a 20 pt loss. It turns out that it was worse, IMO. Would it have been better if I simply said "3 blowout losses in a row, in Tourney play"?
Look, nobody is happy on this board this season, so far. That's impossible. Before the season started, I was hoping for 18 wins. Having watched basketball for the last 20 years, we are going to have ups and downs, almost everyone does. We just lost 4 Seniors, 3 of those were three year starters. I liked our future with Fran's boys, Cook, and Weiskamp all coming in. With that being said, I'm even more excited for our future after watching Moss and Pemsl. They are playing way better than I would have imagined. Every team has seasons like this though, and it's weird some of our fans think that we are immune for some reason. It's even weirder, to be so upset about this season, that you have to go back and try to diminish all the accomplishments our program has had the past several years.

one can use many words to describe Fran but complacent would not be one of them (not saying you are)..

Last edited:
Calling a game that went to overtime a "blowout", is an exaggeration in my book, and everyone else's on Earth.
Getting beat by 13 points in overtime is absolutely, 100% a blowout. It just happened to be a 5 min version. It's not really worth arguing about.

Look, nobody is happy on this board this season, so far. That's impossible. Before the season started, I was hoping for 18 wins. Having watched basketball for the last 20 years, we are going to have ups and downs, almost everyone does. We just lost 4 Seniors, 3 of those were three year starters. I liked our future with Fran's boys, Cook, and Weiskamp all coming in. With that being said, I'm even more excited for our future after watching Moss and Pemsl. They are playing way better than I would have imagined. Every team has seasons like this though, and it's weird some of our fans think that we are immune for some reason. It's even weirder, to be so upset about this season, that you have to go back and try to diminish all the accomplishments our program has had the past several years.
To each their own. I'm happy that your happy with where tgis program is headed. Mind telling me where it's headed? Your standards for "happy" might be the same as mine.

To each their own. I'm happy that your happy with where tgis program is headed. Mind telling me where it's headed? Your standards for "happy" might be the same as mine.
Don't say "to each their own" when you are sitting here pouting and acting like a 13 year old in every single thread. Clearly you don't believe that. It sucks Jones and Cook got hurt, and I think this team is sitting 6-3 if they didn't.

As far as my expectations, I'd be happy if we made the tournament every year. I remember not making it every year for awhile there, and that was pitiful. When I look at this freshman class, and I see Pemsl, Cook, Moss, and Bohannen, I think they are going to be way better than the class that just graduated. The class that just went to 3 straight tournaments. I see our future, and I see guys that are ranked higher than anyone we've ever gotten. Then I see you, bashing them, and I think, why?

Don't say "to each their own" when you are sitting here pouting and acting like a 13 year old in every single thread. Clearly you don't believe that. It sucks Jones and Cook got hurt, and I think this team is sitting 6-3 if they didn't.

As far as my expectations, I'd be happy if we made the tournament every year. I remember not making it every year for awhile there, and that was pitiful. When I look at this freshman class, and I see Pemsl, Cook, Moss, and Bohannen, I think they are going to be way better than the class that just graduated. The class that just went to 3 straight tournaments. I see our future, and I see guys that are ranked higher than anyone we've ever gotten. Then I see you, bashing them, and I think, why?

Ranked higher than anyone than they have ever gotten? I doubt that.

I can say what I want. You're happy with an NCAA appearance every year. I'm not. You don't want to read the "pouting of a 13 yr old" put me on ignore. Only a little bitch whines about other people's opinions. Be a man.

It does in my world. Consecutive round of 32 exits doesn't mean shit to me if we go right back down to 10 win seasons. And those NCAA tourney exits were 20 point beatings!
We made the 1st round and got beat by 20 points to Tennessee.
Both round of 32 games were 20 point beatings. Is that the mountain top for Fran? Are we supposed to be giddy with those results?

You were even nice enough not to mention the second half of the season collapse and crawling into the NCAAs in all 3 of those seasons.

Reactions: ScoutRefugee
Yea! Posting unrealistic expectations on a message board screams man! You go Man! We aren't Kentucky you dolt.

I agree we aren't Kentucky, but why can't we be on Iowa State's or Wisconsin's level in recent times? Historically these programs aren't great. Without looking I think Iowa historically owns ISU in hoops almost as bad as in football.

I agree we aren't Kentucky, but why can't we be on Iowa State's or Wisconsin's level in recent times? Historically these programs aren't great. Without looking I think Iowa historically owns ISU in hoops almost as bad as in football.

ISU had a nice 5 year run under Hoiberg...prior to that not so much. Bo Ryan...give credit when credit is due....Ryan did one hell of a job & created a program (and culture) that recruits wanted to play for. Ryan also walked into a program that had reached the Final 4 two years prior.

McCaffery walked into a program that had fallen to the lowest level in school history...and prior to that had a coach that wasn't overly loved by the fan base including staff. That is 11 years where Iowa BB was for the most part irrelevant. I know we have some posters who think it shouldn't take 6 years to win a championship...Sweet 16's..even farther. Well I guess the only thing I can suggest is keep posting all the negative stuff you can come with....if it makes you feel better.

In the meantime...I;m hoping this year is a development into an even higher level than what we have seen the past 4 years (89-49) 42-30 B1G. NIT runnerup/followed by 3 straight NCAA tournaments. I know its not the level we would like but its a remarkable upgrade from the two previous coaches. I do believe we have a chance for a higher level based on the freshman/soph class we have & what we have coming in next year.

In the meantime if people want to find & post the negative of negatives...year 7..crawling into the NCAA...collapses (which in 2015 was the complete opposite-so don't let facts get in your way)..have at it ....enjoy yourself....BUT...remember where you stood. Don't hide behind the tree if just by chance ... that higher level is not that far around the corner.

You were even nice enough not to mention the second half of the season collapse and crawling into the NCAAs in all 3 of those seasons.

we did not crawl into the NCAA in 2015...it was the opposite...we actually won our last 6 games in B1G reg season to secure the invitation.

but yes poster's can post anything they want...even if its factually incorrect

Reactions: Ronman
Who said we were? What "unrealistic expectations" have I posted? Be specific.
Kentucky didn't even make the tournament a couple years ago. Saying you aren't just happy making the tournament every year is unrealistic. We are Iowa, look at our history, it is what it is. ISU had Niang, that they beat us out for, they had a great run. They have 6 Seniors this year, I have a feeling ISU is going to hit reality pretty hard next year. Anyways, it was nice chatting with you, I don't usually get to associate with absolute morons in real life.

Tyler smith was 74th. Can't find rankings back to Ricky Davis. Keep researching.
Ricky Davis was top 10-15. Tyler Smith was 43rd according to Rivals but I think Scout had him higher (nice job lying to make your point). Kenyon Murray might have been a top 30 pick. I'll ask him tomorrow night. Chris Kingsbury was a McDonalds All American. He certainly would have been a top 30 recruit. Andre Woolridge was the #2 ranked PG in his class, nationally (behind Jason Kidd). He probably doesn't count because he transferred in after his FR season at Nebraska. Should I keep searching? I haven't even got to the 80's yet.

Last edited:
Kentucky didn't even make the tournament a couple years ago. Saying you aren't just happy making the tournament every year is unrealistic. We are Iowa, look at our history, it is what it is. ISU had Niang, that they beat us out for, they had a great run. They have 6 Seniors this year, I have a feeling ISU is going to hit reality pretty hard next year. Anyways, it was nice chatting with you, I don't usually get to associate with absolute morons in real life.

Prohm seems to be a good coach...good record at Murray St (I believe)...he did inherit Hoiberg's guys so we will see when he has all of his recruits.

I'm sorry, get to the point where I set unrealistic expectations. Because I don't see the exact quote anywhere in your post.

Ricky Davis was top 10-15. Tyler Smith was 43rd according to Rivals but I think Scout had him higher (nice job lying to make your point). Kenyon Murray might have been a top 30 pick. I'll ask him tomorrow night.

;) and there you have it...I'll ask Murray...a wannabe somebody pretender....sort of like shaking hands at the free throw line :confused: that told me everything I needed to know.

Ricky Davis was top 10-15. Tyler Smith was 43rd according to Rivals but I think Scout had him higher (nice job lying to make your point). Kenyon Murray might have been a top 30 pick. I'll ask him tomorrow night.
Where was Davis ranked that high?
Lying? Smith was 94th per 247. 43rd per Rivals, and not even ranked according to Scout you dipsh**. Maybe you don't understand that the lower the #, the better.

Ricky Davis was a Parade 4th team All-American when he was a Senior. That means there were 30 players in front of him on the other teams. He was probably right around Weiskamp. So we just had to go back 20 years to find a player that was possibily ranked as high. Does this make you feel better about your argument?
Murray was also a 4th team Parade All-American.
I'm done doing YOUR homework.

Reactions: Ree4
Weiskamp is ranked 35th. Who was higher? Certainly nobody under Fran, maybe back to Marble? Go do some research, let us know.
You said guys, not one recruit. And you didn't say just under Fran you said ever.
ESPN, Rivals, Scout and 247 have him ranked 43rd, 42nd,43rd and 42nd respectively.

Smith was an equally ranked recruit.
Ricky Davis was probably the best recruit ever from the state of Iowa probably neck and neck with Barnes. They didn't have all these ratings services back then but he would be a 5 star kid. he probably could have gone straight to the draft from High School.
Cliff Kingsbury
Roy Marble
Kenyon Murray
Ed Horton
Brad Lohaus
Al Lorenzen
Ray Thompson
Glen Worley

You also don't know what Weiskamp will end up ranked at as a Senior. Don't get me wrong he is a good recruit but better than they have ever had is wrong even looking at where he is ranked now.

Lying? Smith was 94th per 247. 43rd per Rivals, and not even ranked according to Scout you dipsh**. Maybe you don't understand that the lower the #, the better.

Ricky Davis was a Parade 4th team All-American when he was a Senior. That means there were 30 players in front of him on the other teams. He was probably right around Weiskamp. So we just had to go back 20 years to find a player that was possibily ranked as high. Does this make you feel better about your argument?

So you are wrong.

WTF does that have to do with recruiting rankings? You're the Dipshit! What AA team you are chosen for has NOTHING to do with your ability to play high D-1 basketball! It is an award for your high school accomplishments. You don't even know how this works! Why am I arguing with you? Your going on ignore! Any with your level of ignorance shouldn't be posting. And I'm a 45 yr old man. I'm older than Kenyon. Who was a much better athlete than Wieskamp, by the way. I'll ask him if he thinks that's true too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT