ADVERTISEMENT

Fran had a 9 man rotation vs Purdue

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
You all have been demanding that Fran should stick with a 9 man rotation. Well, just 9 Iowa players played 10 minutes or more vs Purdue. But, but, but, Connor.....You got your wish that he no longer start and now you demand that he never play. We get it. And yes, I agree that Kris should play more.

We lost by 10 points to the #6 team in the country, but this was only because of Fran's rotations, according to so many of you. Could it be that maybe we lost because we are just an average team this year and because of outside shooting?

I was worried about 3 point shooting before the season began because JBo was our only known commodity. Man, has our 3 point shooting been awful lately.

Our last 5 games:

08-27 (30%) last night vs Purdue
10-32 (31%) vs Penn State
06-27 (22%) at Rutgers
05-22 (23%) at Minnesota
07-22 (32%) vs Indiana

And those who continue to want to see more of Perkins and Ulis, well....

Here was the minutes distribution from the Purdue game:

30 PMac (11 pts, 4 rebounds)

30 JBo (6 pts, 1 steal, 1 assist, 2 rebs, 3 turnovers)

29 Keegan (14 pts, 9 rebounds)

26 Joe T (8 pts, 3 assists, 4 steals)

24 Kris (23 pts, 5 rebounds, FOULED OUT)

15 Perkins (2 pts, 1-5 from field, 3 fouls, 2 rebounds, 1 assist)

14 Ulis (2 pts, 1-3 from field, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 2 turnovers)

11 Filip

10 Connor (0 pts, 1 rebound, 1 assist)

10 Connor (0 pts 0-3 from field, 1 rebound, 1 assist)

fify

I don't know a lot about basketball, but when Purdue has their center Williams guarding Connor it's pretty obvious there's a matchup problem.

Reactions: Chicagoherky71
10 Connor (0 pts 0-3 from field, 1 rebound, 1 assist)

fify

I don't know a lot about basketball, but when Purdue has their center Williams guarding Connor it's pretty obvious there's a matchup problem.

We are an average team. I think it is a simple as that.

* We have 14 overall wins and 10 of those 14 wins came from a nonconference, cupcake schedule. KenPom has our nonconference schedule currently ranked #339 out of 358 teams.

* We don't have a signature conference win yet. We have 3 conference home wins (vs MD, IU and PSU) and 1 conference road win (at MN).

Penn State has 3 conference wins and plays better at home. As the home team, they beat Indiana by 3 and Rutgers by 17; they lost to Purdue by just 7. Iowa better show up on Monday.

You all have been demanding that Fran should stick with a 9 man rotation. Well, just 9 Iowa players played 10 minutes or more vs Purdue. But, but, but, Connor.....You got your wish that he no longer start and now you demand that he never play. We get it. And yes, I agree that Kris should play more.

We lost by 10 points to the #6 team in the country, but this was only because of Fran's rotations, according to so many of you. Could it be that maybe we lost because we are just an average team this year and because of outside shooting?

I was worried about 3 point shooting before the season began because JBo was our only known commodity. Man, has our 3 point shooting been awful lately.

Our last 5 games:

06-27 (22%) at Rutgers
05-22 (23%) at Minnesota
07-22 (32%) vs Indiana

11 Filip

Josh played. And probably should have played more in spurts.

see orig post. both Josh (5) and Payton (6) played under 10 minutes.
And whole time they were in with 3 other bench players. Inexcusable to have 5 bench players in at the same time when playing the #6 team in the nation. Even worse Purdue goes on a run fran calls a timeout and afterwards same 5 bench guys are back in the game. Fran gets criticized and rightfully so for his rotation. No rhythm or rhyme to it and we constantly seeing game after game starters play 7-8 min hockey line sub and stuck with 4 sometimes 5 bench players in come the 10-12 min mark. Against lesser competition can get away with it but not in the big 10.

Reactions: DewHawk
Not a 9 man rotation then.

So, you consider Josh and Payton as part of the regular rotation?

Sure, they might get a few minutes here and there (examples: foul trouble, a player hurt), but they are not part of Fran's main 9 man rotation.

Minutes played:

Josh........Payton.........Opponent
..5..................6..................Purdue
..0..................0.................Penn State
..0..................2.................Rutgers
..0..................9.................Minnesota (Connor hurt)
..7...................1................. Indiana
..4...................7.................Wisconsin (blow out loss)
..0..................2.................Maryland

again the rotation doesn’t matter. The talent is just not good outside the two Murray’s
It’s not an opinion , it’s fact

So, you consider Josh and Payton as part of the regular rotation?

Sure, they might get a few minutes here and there (examples: foul trouble, a player hurt), but they are not part of Fran's main 9 man rotation.

Minutes played:

Josh........Payton.........Opponent
..5..................6..................Purdue
..0..................0.................Penn State
..0..................2.................Rutgers
..0..................9.................Minnesota (Connor hurt)
..7...................1................. Indiana
..4...................7.................Wisconsin (blow out loss)
..0..................2.................Maryland
Arguing semantics. Essentially the two added for a 10th man. You said 9 man rotation. Silly argument you are trying to make.
fran is junior high level bad managing a bench in a game.

Good try you think that a coach that puts a sub in isn’t rotating players. I don’t know what to tell you.

when you say 1 plus 1 equals one I don't know what to tell you

are you ever right about anything? Don't answer because you will be wrong again.

even Fran isn't as wrong as you!

Who recruited these players? Fran. Who talked all the smack about the depth and all the great shooters? Fran. Who told us we would see a new Connor who would look to score? Fran. Who is full of crap? Fran.

I could care less if he had a 6 or 12 man rotation. The players simply are not very good. The guard play (again) is atrocious, Purdue didn't win because of their bigs. They won because their guards made shots and ours didn't.

Outside of Keegan and Kris, the talent level on this team is pathetic for a guy in his 12th year.

Reactions: Legs94

Our last 5 games:

06-27 (22%) at Rutgers
05-22 (23%) at Minnesota
07-22 (32%) vs Indiana

11 Filip

I still believe we need Perkins and Ulis if we are going to make any noise. Both are in a slump right now, but they are not alone, that is for sure. Both bring excellent defense, especially in the press. Ulis is not going to score much but even with the emarassing steal by Purdue's center, he is still our best ball handler by a long shot. I have seen some solid play from both guys not that long ago, just need to work their way out of it.

I still believe we need Perkins and Ulis if we are going to make any noise. Both are in a slump right now, but they are not alone, that is for sure. Both bring excellent defense, especially in the press. Ulis is not going to score much but even with the emarassing steal by Purdue's center, he is still our best ball handler by a long shot. I have seen some solid play from both guys not that long ago, just need to work their way out of it.
Good points, but you can't have your main ball handler be the worst offensive player on your team and that is what Ulis is. He dribbles around a lot with no purpose and makes bad decisions late in the shot clock. It's a coin toss for sure, but Joe has shown flashes of being able to drive and score or get fouled. PSU doesn't win that game without their guard throwing in a half dozen scoop shots. Unfortunately we don't have that option. Our guards go 0-18 or whatever it was.

Good points, but you can't have your main ball handler be the worst offensive player on your team and that is what Ulis is. He dribbles around a lot with no purpose and makes bad decisions late in the shot clock. It's a coin toss for sure, but Joe has shown flashes of being able to drive and score or get fouled. PSU doesn't win that game without their guard throwing in a half dozen scoop shots. Unfortunately we don't have that option. Our guards go 0-18 or whatever it was.
Unfortunately for Iowa none of their opponents have a JBO to isolate and abuse.

Lol @ OP trying to spin an 11 man rotation into a 9 man rotation.

His math is closer than yours, claiming 9+2=9 🤣

I know reading comprehension is hard for you two but in the orig post I wrote that just 9 Iowa players played 10 minutes or more vs Purdue. Not 11 players. 9 players. Fran tried to buy some time by inserting 2 players who had rarely played up to that point; those 2 players only played a few minutes and were not part of his 9 man, main rotation.

And trying to spin things and call Josh part of Fran's rotation is laughable.

I know reading comprehension is hard for you two but in the orig post I wrote that just 9 Iowa players played 10 minutes or more vs Purdue. Not 11 players. 9 players. Fran tried to buy some time by inserting 2 players who had rarely played up to that point; those 2 players only played a few minutes and were not part of his 9 man, main rotation.

And trying to spin things and call Josh part of Fran's rotation is laughable.
together they had 10, which was the reason for my response that you were unwilling to admit to.
But if you play 11 that's an 11 man rotation. You don't get to arbitrarily pick 10 minutes as the only thing that counts.

Reactions: Slim45
together they had 10, which was the reason for my response that you were unwilling to admit to.
But if you play 11 that's an 11 man rotation. You don't get to arbitrarily pick 10 minutes as the only thing that counts.

More nonsense.

You don't get to arbitrarily take 2 players, add their minutes together, and count them as one player.

And you considering Josh as part of Fran's main rotation is also laughable.

Read the orig post again. And then read it again if you need to. Hopefully that helps your comprehension.

More nonsense.

You don't get to arbitrarily take 2 players, add their minutes together, and count them as one player.

And you considering Josh as part of Fran's main rotation is also laughable.

Read the orig post again. And then read it again if you need to. Hopefully that helps your comprehension.
you randomly made up 10 minutes is a rotation. I was trying to speak your language but apparently I can't speak stupid.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
well, you just said that 1 plus 1 equals 1.

talk about silly arguments.
Silly arguments? You defend a mediocre coach, and that's being kind, to no end.
Fran should be embarrassed by his defense and clearly doesn't GAF about it either.

Silly arguments? You defend a mediocre coach, and that's being kind, to no end.
Fran should be embarrassed by his defense and clearly doesn't GAF about it either.

I defend him to no end, huh?

Well the truth of the matter is that I have criticized Fran many times for his teams being very poor at defense and at rebounding.

ADVERTISEMENT