ADVERTISEMENT

Fran has to go JUCO to get a BIG10 quality guard for next year, or risk...

Fran's best team at Iowa next year? Not seeing that at all short of adding two really good, immediately ready to go athletes at guard. Wieskamp should help but he is not the answer to their biggest problem.

...burning up what I believe will be his best team at Iowa next year.

Getting two would not be too many either. This can not wait. Fran's continued Iowa tenure is at stake.

Hawki-Bob will not agree with you, but I think you are correct. Just like real life, worst performers need to move to a level they can complete at

Exactly, Fran may be holding off to maximize his chance of landing Carton in 2019 but he now needs to do something or totally losing this program. Getting two of a grad transfer and/or a Juco is now absolutely necessary.

As others have said, Ellingson is likely gone after this year. One of the bigs will very likely transfer, Kriener probably. I sure and the heck hope it's not Pemsl who deserves more time than he gets.

Reactions: Jonnymungo
What scholarships are available unless someone transfers?

I agree with you but Fran needs to "Crean" a couple kids and find a way to cut ties with 2018 Ellingson clone first.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I think Fran has to crean some of his players. I realize he doesn't do that (look at Uhl) so we will be stuck with what we got. Until he shortens his bench to 8 players, those guys will continue to stick it out at Iowa.

Fran has to get Ellingson, Kriener/Pemsl, Wagner to all move on. These 4 guys while decent, are either too slow or too small at their respective positions. They do not fit in well with what Iowa wants to do and that is run. I would hope at least 2 out of the 4 move on and open up some scholarships for Fran to bring in a JUCO or grad transfer.

Lets face it Iowa needs to find guards. JBO, Dailey, MOSS are it for Iowa. Connor when he comes back, but even he won't help Iowa that much. Fran has to find a quicker Bryce Cartwright type guard. There has to be a 100 of them out there.

I think Fran has to crean some of his players. I realize he doesn't do that (look at Uhl) so we will be stuck with what we got. Until he shortens his bench to 8 players, those guys will continue to stick it out at Iowa.

Fran has to get Ellingson, Kriener/Pemsl, Wagner to all move on. These 4 guys while decent, are either too slow or too small at their respective positions. They do not fit in well with what Iowa wants to do and that is run. I would hope at least 2 out of the 4 move on and open up some scholarships for Fran to bring in a JUCO or grad transfer.

Lets face it Iowa needs to find guards. JBO, Dailey, MOSS are it for Iowa. Connor when he comes back, but even he won't help Iowa that much. Fran has to find a quicker Bryce Cartwright type guard. There has to be a 100 of them out there.

Id much rather keep Kriener and Pemsl who are neither too slow or too small and get rid of Garza who is way too slow.

But clearly Fran doesn't see it, probably because he doesn't have a clue when it comes to anything about defense.

Ellingson and Wagner for sure need to move on as well Fredrick.

Frans going to have to man up and clean up the mess hes made of this roster.

I agree with you but Fran needs to "Crean" a couple kids and find a way to cut ties with 2018 Ellingson clone first.

Can't cut ties with the latest incarnation of Ogelsby, Ellingson, Flemming---because he is son of family friend. Besides, he's more athletic than you think. He's a no mistake guy. Fran doesn't recruit guards that can't defend. He's more than a 3pt shooter.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Can't cut ties with the latest incarnation of Ogelsby, Ellingson, Flemming---because he is son of family friend. Besides, he's more athletic than you think. He's a no mistake guy. Fran doesn't recruit guards that can't defend. He's more than a 3pt shooter.

Lol.

Well, who knows, as they say, a broken clock is right twice a day.

Reactions: michael.nelson311
Id much rather keep Kriener and Pemsl who neither too slow or too small and get rid of Garza who is way too slow.

But clearly Fran doesn't see it, probably because he doesn't have a clue when it comes to anything about defense.

Ellingson and Wagner for sure need to move on as well Fredrick.

Frans going to have to man up and clean up the mess hes made of this roster.

Garza bang your girlfriend? Garza has some skills and hustles...I think he'll improve. We only need one or two schollies. I think Wagner has no position at college level---if I were Fran, I'd crean him. However Ellingson has already had 4 years under scholly and can grad transfer, and Fran has already recruited his replacement (Frederick)...so I think although BradyE is standup guy, some talent---he has to go because Fran has effed up the roster balance.

The Fredreick kid looks like Ellingson X2 and I doubt we see much out of him. He will come and be a bench player for 3 years.

Fran has a mess on his hands and he has to improve his roster. The current line-up is so stinking slow. He has to improve it and I hate to say it has to run a couple of guys off.

Garza bang your girlfriend? Garza has some skills and hustles...I think he'll improve. We only need one or two schollies. I think Wagner has no position at college level---if I were Fran, I'd crean him. However Ellingson has already had 4 years under scholly and can grad transfer, and Fran has already recruited his replacement (Frederick)...so I think although BradyE is standup guy, some talent---he has to go because Fran has effed up the roster balance.

No she would just run away and he would never catch her.

My reply was in response to saying we should Crean Pemsl and Kriener. If we're creaning a big it needs to be the guy wearing cement shoes who is physically incapable of doing anything resembling defense.

Ive never seen a person with that slow of feet be a successful basketball player.

Every time down the court they run pick n roll at him and its starts the breakdown of the whole D.

Here are some highlights from Shane Gatling, sophomore at Indian Hills. Looks like he played a year at Niagra. I believe he would be able to play right away. Averaging 16/game with 3 rebs and 3 assists per game at Indian Hills. Juco and Grad transfers are a must this offseason.

ANYONE... Just keep bringing in guard, after guard until we have a several decent ones that can add something to the team. Please and thank you.

Here are some highlights from Shane Gatling, sophomore at Indian Hills. Looks like he played a year at Niagra. I believe he would be able to play right away. Averaging 16/game with 3 rebs and 3 assists per game at Indian Hills. Juco and Grad transfers are a must this offseason.

Said it before and I will say it again, Fran is too arrogant. He would rather lose his way than change. No coach in their right mind runs a motion offense with the type of talent we have. This team is more like the Bill Carmody Northwestern teams that ran the Princeton offense. He incessantly talks about playing fast, but other than Cook and Dailey, who can finish at the rim? Bohannon and Moss look like me driving the ball. Pemsl, Wagner, Baer, Kriener have 0 offense. Garza's game is below the rim. Nunge is afraid of his shadow. Other than Cook and Dailey, the team is softer than the ice cream at CHA.

This is just one of many examples of pgs/guards that are out there that Fran has either chosen not to bring in or has been unable to recruit.

Reactions: Burbank84
I am done with Fran and his red-faced tantrums over insignificant calls when down 15. Put that energy into recruiting or better yet, jettison Speraw and Dillard who are collecting checks until retirement and hire someone who can recruit. LaVall Jordan's Butler team beat # 1 Villanova the other night in what, his 2nd year there? Yet Fran can't beat anybody in year 7.

I can't take Iowa basketball seriously as long as this guy is the coach. Lots of banter in the social media world about his profanity-filled tirade heard throughout CHA tonight and another slamming of his white board. Save yourself some stress Fran. Your recruiting sucks, so stop expecting different results from guys who should be at Western Illinois. If I am Cook, I would look to blow this taco stand, sit out a year and play on team that can make the dance. It isn't happening at Iowa.

Look at the stats from the game. The last column is +\-. It was very telling again now that we're playing a power 5 team. Read into it what you want. But we went sideways with certain people on the floor.

You can move the ball a whole lot faster using effective passing rather than dribbling it to a fellow teammate. See also Michigan! I gave up counting the open threes they had....due to effective passing.

You move the ball with passes after someone beats their initial defender off the dribble forcing the defense to move out of pisition.

Thats what we just witnessed happening to Iowa.

UM specifically killed us with high ball screens that involved JBO and Garza. Our two worst defenders.

Allot of the 3s they hit when opening up the lead in the first half were against that matchup.

Speedy, athletic guards. People that can really move with the ball.

It's a guard driven game in college and adding fast players who can defend and push the ball on offense are musts. It will make everyone faster.
Aka...BLACK DUDES!! Stop recruiting white guards period!!! They can’t take anyone off the dribble and look like their feet are in cement on defense. Have you ever seen a white cornerback?!?? NO! They lack the lateral quickness. Same with b-ball guards! You’re recruiting a basketball team not a damn swim team!!!

Aka...BLACK DUDES!! Stop recruiting white guards period!!! They can’t take anyone off the dribble and look like their feet are in cement on defense. Have you ever seen a white cornerback?!?? NO! They lack the lateral quickness. Same with b-ball guards! You’re recruiting a basketball team not a damn swim team!!!

Unnesesary and false.

We all get that thats generally the case but stating it in absolute terms is stupid because its not absolutely true.

WTF????

Look at the stats from the game. The last column is +\-. It was very telling again now that we're playing a power 5 team. Read into it what you want. But we went sideways with certain people on the floor.

Where you looking at the +/- ?

He already signed. I would have politely told C.J. That I am in a bind here and I have to change direction or I may not be here to see you graduate. I need to go Juco lightening quick guard and an athletic juco JYD or the seats gonna get hot. It happens. It's a business. Sorry and I will use my resources to get you into a program that can use your talents.

He already signed. I would have politely told C.J. That I am in a bind here and I have to change direction or I may not be here to see you graduate. I need to go Juco lightening quick guard and an athletic juco JYD or the seats gonna get hot. It happens. It's a business. Sorry and I will use my resources to get you into a program that can use your talents.

Or he can walk on like originally planned but Fran made a total blunder by dealing that ship.

Or he can walk on like originally planned but Fran made a total blunder by dealing that ship.
Yeah, was thinking that too. If we could see that C.J. Was not what this team needed, Fran surely should of had this foresight.

Fran's best team at Iowa next year? Not seeing that at all short of adding two really good, immediately ready to go athletes at guard. Wieskamp should help but he is not the answer to their biggest problem.
Next year's team will create the same heartbreak as they do this year. They may improve but still be left sucking air because other teams in the BIG are building faster than Iowa.As for a couple of good guards to pop up...don't hold your breath. Why would a really good player transfer to Iowa and sit on the bench half the game. Good players transfer because they want to light up the scoreboard and don't have the chance where they are currently playing.

Joe Slattery and Adam Shada.....but that only backs up your point!!! (Not racist, realist)

Said it before and I will say it again, Fran is too arrogant. He would rather lose his way than change. No coach in their right mind runs a motion offense with the type of talent we have. This team is more like the Bill Carmody Northwestern teams that ran the Princeton offense. He incessantly talks about playing fast, but other than Cook and Dailey, who can finish at the rim? Bohannon and Moss look like me driving the ball. Pemsl, Wagner, Baer, Kriener have 0 offense. Garza's game is below the rim. Nunge is afraid of his shadow. Other than Cook and Dailey, the team is softer than the ice cream at CHA.

I think this is spot on...I suspect his assistants tried to warn him about the roster construction but Fran doesn't appear to be the type to listen.
The strength of Fran is player retention and now it is his downfall as he tried to find positions for misfit players that don't have position and now he is going to have to run 1 or 2 off this spring.

I think Speraw coached a game in past when Fran was out on suspension and the subs were much more fluid and the defense more solid.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT