ADVERTISEMENT

Fran Interviews: Sep 23, Blue Ribbon CBB Podcast. Aug 5, Greenberg & Dakich. July 20, Jon Rothstein

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Sep 23 Blue Ribbon College Basketball Podcast

A great interview, as always. Fran, among other things, reveals Jack McCaffery's height. Jack, of course, is in 8th grade. Will Jack be the best of the 3 McCaffery boys when its all said and done?

Daily testing for covid will occur. Just like football, if a player tests positive, they are out 21 days.

Fran was asked about the excitement growing around the program. He reminds us that he knew a bit about Iowa and its fans because before becoming HC at Iowa in 2010 he coached at CHA in 1985 when HC at Lehigh and again in 2005 when HC at UNC Greensboro.

They even bring up Sir Jamalot.

Skip ahead to the 14 minute mark.

LINK TO LISTEN: https://blueribbon.substack.com/p/blue-ribbon-college-basketball-podcast-56d

Aug 5 Seth Greenberg / Dan Dakich Interview:

Fran talks defense, offense, coaching 2 sons, title expectations and more.

Under Episode Description, click on the 8:15 link, which takes you right to the interview.

LINK TO FULL INTERVIEW:
https://open.spotify.com/episode/6WXbA44JhrTvHba4Z3seSu

July 20 Jon Rothstein Interview:

Luka makes his decision on whether to stay in the NBA Draft in 12 days (Aug 2), of course.

Jon states that if Luka comes back:
* The B1G goes thru Iowa City
* He could lead Iowa to the Final 4
* Luka could get his jersey retired

Here's the full Fran McCaffery interview:

The related Tweets, from this morning:

Last edited:
Man I just hope there is a season.. it seems like the most Iowa thing ever that when we have a legitimate shot to win the conference and title.. there won’t be a season & we’ll lose our 2 best players who would have carried us.

Iowa is experienced and talented if everyone is back and healthy. That is a good combination to have.

Iowa is experienced and talented, and everyone will be back and healthy,... too bad there won't be a season...

Man I just hope there is a season.. it seems like the most Iowa thing ever that when we have a legitimate shot to win the conference and title.. there won’t be a season & we’ll lose our 2 best players who would have carried us.

No, that would be the most ISU thing ever. Why don't you go back to that board?

EqualMilkyBunting-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: michael.nelson311
The related story online:

Fran McCaffery: Luka Garza would be legendary in the state of Iowa if he returned to school
July 20, 2020
by Jon Rothstein

Luka-Garza-2-3-1024x818.jpg

Should he stay or should he go?

That’s the question that Luka Garza will deal with for the next two weeks until the NCAA’s early entry withdrawal deadline for the 2020 NBA Draft on Aug. 3rd.

How big of a legacy could the 6-11 big man leave in the state of Iowa if he returns to school for his senior season?

A massive one, according to his head coach.

“He will be legendary in this state if he comes back, if he’s not already legendary,” Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery said of Garza Monday on the College Hoops Today Podcast. “If he returns, he’s going to be the school’s all-time leading scorer, but I think one of things that he’s excited about is to do unprecedented things for our program.”

Garza would be the consensus favorite for National Player of the Year if he returns to school for his senior season after averaging 23.9 points, 9.8 rebounds, and 2.1 blocks last season as a junior.

He’d also give Iowa a legitimate chance to add to the school’s three Final Four appearances; the Hawkeyes have not been to college basketball’s most fabled showcase since 1980.

Still, given the current landscape of things in the world with coronavirus, McCaffery reiterates that it’s imperative that Garza makes the best decision for himself regardless of how it affects Iowa.

“I want what’s best for Luka,” McCaffery said. “That’s the way it has to be.”

Garza is not projected to be a first-round pick and has not had an opportunity to work out for NBA teams due to the pandemic.

The Hawkeyes were 20-11 last season prior to the cancellation of the Big Ten Tournament.

Iowa will return two other double-figure scorers next season in Joe Wieskamp (14 points) and CJ Fredrick (10.2 points) in addition to Garza along with several other key pieces headlined by Joe Toussaint and Connor McCaffery, who led the nation last year in assist-to-turnover ratio.

The Hawkeyes will also add three players who were injured last season in Jordan Bohannon (hip) along with Patrick McCaffery (undisclosed) and Jack Nunge (knee). Fran McCaffery said that Bohannon and Patrick McCaffery were fully cleared for all basketball related activities and hoped that Nunge was fully cleared by September.

Bohannon only played 10 games last season, but was one of the top shot makers in the Big Ten two years ago and could completely change the offensive dynamic of this team with his ability to stretch the defense. The 6-1 guard has never made less than 79 three-point shots over the course of a season when he’s been fully healthy.

“There’s eight guys right there who can all make plays,” Fran McCaffery said. “We’re bringing guys off the bench who can score. It wouldn’t just have a chance to be the best team I’ve ever coached — it would also have a chance to be the deepest team that I’ve ever coached.”

With Garza back, Iowa would be the preseason favorite in the Big Ten.

The Hawkeyes are currently third in the ROTHSTEIN 45.

Filed Under: The Rothstein Files

LINK: https://collegehoopstoday.com/index...n-the-state-of-iowa-if-he-returned-to-school/

I haven't cared this much about a Hawkeye returning since Chuck Long in January, 1985. That's 35 years for those that don't care to count.

Having a college basketball season with Garza in the line-up would erase a lot of bad memories of 2020.
I hope the NBA deadline gets extended.

Check this out:

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I hope the NBA deadline gets extended.

Yeah, I suppose. I'm not sure what additional information there will be in a month though.

My thought process in his position -

1. Family not poor.
2. Not considered a 1st rounder
3. If there is a decent chance of a college season (say 50%+), then -
- stay and become a legend.
- earn a first round spot.
4. If he stays and #3 doesn't pan out -
- hire and agent and a trainer - get a degree
- or, go Europe
4. If poor chance of college basket (say less than 50%) - go pro

I haven't cared this much about a Hawkeye returning since Chuck Long in January, 1985. That's 35 years for those that don't care to count.

Having a college basketball season with Garza in the line-up would erase a lot of bad memories of 2020.

When Chuck did, he managed something that very few, if any other NCAA football players did....He played in five bowl games, including two Rose Bowls.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I hope Jack makes a full and stable recovery. McCaffery once again mentioned how Nunge was tearing it up in practice last year.
Fran mentioned how good Jack was at feeding Garza, too; Fran said because of that he is not afraid to play Luka and Jack at the same time

damn, this team could be really really good, especially if we stick mostly with an 8 man rotation and occasionally use a freshman :)

Reactions: bradjens
Luka makes his decision on whether to stay in the NBA Draft in 12 days (Aug 2), of course.

Jon states that if Luka comes back:
* The B1G goes thru Iowa City
* He could lead Iowa to the Final 4
* Luka could get his jersey retired

Here's the full Fran McCaffery interview:

The related Tweets, from this morning:

Fran is just such a good interview and the guy has his priorities straight, love me some Fran.

He mentioned that Ulis and Perkins were showing that they could help this year.....Josh O is in Iowa City!

Thanks for posting the podcast!
That was a good listen. Thanks
One thing I worry about is when he talks rotation and that he feels obligated to give minutes to those who deserve it.

Last year's effective 8 man rotation might be 10 or more.

Reactions: perryhawk
One thing I worry about is when he talks rotation and that he feels obligated to give minutes to those who deserve it.

Last year's effective 8 man rotation might be 10 or more.

Yep, I have concerns as well....that said, I think Fran learned that lesson in that terrible season a few years ago.... I think...

Reactions: Franisdaman
The teams with superior depth will rise as the cream of the crop this year (assuming there is one). Doesn't necessarily mean Fran has to rotate 10 guys every game; it's just nice to know you have that many available bodies who can make a difference. Remember, many on this board threw in the towel last year when it looked like CJF was lost for the year, since Iowa was already without Nunge, Bohannon and Pmac.

Injuries happen and COVID could take a guy out of commission for two weeks at any time. Plus, there is talk of an all-conference schedule where teams essentially play 2-3 games a week in a bubble. It's just talk right now, but if it actually happens, you'll be thanking your lucky stars that Iowa has 10-11 dudes who can contribute minutes.

Fran is guest on the Blue Ribbon College Basketball Podcast

A great interview, as always. Fran, among other things, reveals Jack McCaffery's height. Jack, of course, is in 8th grade. Will Jack be the best of the 3 McCaffery boys when its all said and done?

Daily testing for covid will occur. Just like football, if a player tests positive, they are out 21 days.

Fran was asked about the excitement growing around the program. He reminds us that he knew a bit about Iowa and its fans because before becoming HC at Iowa in 2010 he coached at CHA in 1985 when HC at Lehigh and again in 2005 when HC at UNC Greensboro.

They even bring up Sir Jamalot.

Skip ahead to the 14 minute mark.

LINK TO LISTEN: https://blueribbon.substack.com/p/blue-ribbon-college-basketball-podcast-56d

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawksfor3
I hope I'm not revealing any state secret here, but for those who don't have the time to listen to the entire podcast, Fran says that Jack is 6'5" going into 8th grade and they talked about what a great shooter he was. Sounds promising.

Last edited:
I think I’ve mentioned this before, but the last time I saw Jack in person I initially thought it was Connor because of his height relative to Fran. That was 7 months ago when Waukee played at Dowling. And yes, he has by far the best looking shot of the three.

Nice podcast @Franisdaman. Good to get back here after moving, Dr. appointments, etc. Always a great interview with Coach and really good humor by Chris. His description of the length of his article about Luka being Pre-Season POY, as being "As long as an Anaconda", really put a smile on my face.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT