4. Mark Few, Gonzaga
5. Kelvin Sampson, Houston
6. Matt Painter, Purdue
7. Scott Drew, Baylor
8. Dana Altman, Oregon
9. Fran McCaffery, Iowa
10. Tony Bennett, Virginia

Watch here:

The master of one and done basketball recruiting, John Calipari, is the number one developmental coach in college basketball?,.. The only thing Calipari might have developed recently is a rash.

Calipari is widely regarded as one of the best recruiters and a very average developmental coach. He's had some talent get drafted lower than they should have been and succeed in the NBA. Guys like Maxey, Keldon Johnson, Booker, and Bam relied on talent to get by in college.

And coaches have very little to do with the development of a player, so it’s bad in multiple ways.
Interesting that you would say that....so, I am hoping that with your knowledge of college b-ball programs you could explain it a bit more. From a "Joe Fan" point of view I thought that with all of the summer contact hours now that they worked on individual skills and development? That apparently isn't the case? They only work on conditioning and team play? (I admit that I think the weight/fitness training is individual development)

I also think that a coach steering players to developmental resources outside of the program is a part of that...but maybe not? Maybe all of that is on the player(s)?

#1, #2, and #3 shouldn't be on this list. Any coach that fills his roster with 4 and 5 star players, but then doesn't make the Elite Eight every year with many Final Fours is not developing those players to the max of their potential.

In the last five(counting the 2023 class) recruiting classes, Kentucky has only recruited three players that weren't top 50 in the country. Kansas isn't at that level, but they are mostly 4 and some 5 star players. MSU has to go back to 2019 to find their most recent 3 star recruit.

Calipari is widely regarded as one of the best recruiters and a very average developmental coach. He's had some talent get drafted lower than they should have been and succeed in the NBA. Guys like Maxey, Keldon Johnson, Booker, and Bam relied on talent to get by in college.

Like I said,.. not developmental.

The master of one and done basketball recruiting, John Calipari, is the number one developmental coach in college basketball?,.. The only thing Calipari might have developed recently is a rash.

yep. after one year he has many of his players ready for the NBA!!! :)

yeah, not development as several of those guys are one and done schools 5 star athletes. It is trash.

ADVERTISEMENT