ADVERTISEMENT

Fran McC and the ABA

The Deplorable Sleeping Dog

HR Heisman
Gold Member
May 9, 2018
After seeing last night's game, I think I have discovered the source of the F Mc "just out score" theory of defense. He and I are the same age. So, all you Geezers will get this one. Fran must have just loved the old ABA. Great scorers taking a million shots and virtually no defense, except for The A Train.

The kind of position-less basketball was born in the ABA. The NBA game of the era couldn't translate to the common skill level typical to the ABA rosters. The ABA just didn't enough dominate big men to play the center-oriented NBA game. The Swiss Army knife kind of player became more of a norm as a necessity. It is fun to watch if frustratingly inconsistent in winning and losing.

First team to 120 won those games. That might just be Fran's objective.

lol....when has the defunct ABA, NBA, or G League for that matter, ever taken defense seriously? Professional basketball is nothing but 3 pointers and dunks and analytics supports it. Most missed shots are not caused by defense.
A majority of Iowa fans that want Fran to play more defense is like asking the crazies to stop saying the 2020 election was stolen, what 2 years ago, not going to happen.
You think Keegan, Garza or Wieskamp would have been drafted in the NBA if any of them had averaged around 10 points a game, well Joe did, and Keegan surely would have but, but Fran is going to speed the games up to allow for more touches for his offense and that's just the way to go's.
Enjoy the fast pace of the games, Fran isn't going to change and it doesn't have any thing to do with past or present professional basketball.
That's just Fran's style of coaching.....

Last edited:
lol....when has the defunct ABA, NBA, or G League for that matter, ever taken defense seriously? Professional basketball is nothing but 3 pointers and dunks and analytics supports it. Most missed shots are not caused by defense.
A majority of Iowa fans that want Fran to play more defense is like asking the crazies to stop saying the 2020 election was stolen, what 2 years ago, not going to happen.
You think Keegan, Garza or Wieskamp would have been drafted in the NBA if any of them had averaged around 10 points a game, well Joe did, and Keegan surely would have but, but Fran is going to speed the games up to allow for more touches for his offense and that's just the way to go's.
Enjoy the fast pace of the games, Fran isn't going to change and it doesn't have any thing to do with past or present professional basketball.

lol

You didn't catch the tounge in cheek nature of my post? If you're too young to get the joke perhaps your reply should not be so ****ing condescending.

Hurtle some political insults, comrade. Better a live human than a braindead and incredulous sheep. Given you missed the joke completely, you apparently aren't even breed standard. Classic communist. Egregiously wrong but absolutely convicted in your absolute moral authority to hurtle insults at those with whom you disagree.

Actually, your post reminds me of Jon Stewart interviewing John Kerry. Jon had to interrupt John to remind him it was a fake news show.

Last edited:
Lol at the two old guys at the top with your 40 year old stereotypes. "I don't watch the NBA, but let me tell you about how they play..."
I was explicitly describing the NBA 50 years ago, when the ABA existed. I don't watch much NBA, rarely offer an opinion about it other than I don't like it so I don't watch much. The Stern model was successful until it became predictably rigged. The NFL SIRIUS guys that worked free agency were stunned by the advice he gave them on free agency. Just couldn't get that bad taste out of my mouth and it killed my taste for the NBA.

What stereotypes are you even talking about? Try and explain what you mean by "stereotypes"? Seriously, very curious to learn the language in my post that suggested I was stereotyping anything. Not really an unfair or inaccurate stereotype to simply observe the obvious and undisputed difference between the NBA game and the fun but less talented ABA. That's a complete non sequitur. Can you explain that comment or are you content to sound like the Monster putting on the Ritz?​

Last edited:
You didn't catch the tounge in cheek nature of my post? If you're too young to get the joke perhaps your reply should not be so ****ing condescending.

Hurtle some political insults, comrade. Better a live human than a braindead and incredulous sheep. Given you missed the joke completely, you apparently aren't even breed standard. Classic communist. Egregiously wrong but absolutely convicted in your absolute moral authority to hurtle insults at those with whom you disagree.

Actually, your post reminds me of Jon Stewart interviewing John Kerry. Jon had to interrupt John to remind him it was a fake news show.
I'm not even sure whos side is defending whos side, but this is the most ridiculous post I've ever read.

Lol at the two old guys at the top with your 40 year old stereotypes. "I don't watch the NBA, but let me tell you about how they play..."
I do watch, and to be truthful, it really is shoot the three, and drive. That isn't to say that some teams don't attempt to play defense or have players who have a mid-range game, but it's like every sport today. It's copy whatever works for the winners, very little individuality, and kind of boring.

After seeing last night's game, I think I have discovered the source of the F Mc "just out score" theory of defense. He and I are the same age. So, all you Geezers will get this one. Fran must have just loved the old ABA. Great scorers taking a million shots and virtually no defense, except for The A Train.

The kind of position-less basketball was born in the ABA. The NBA game of the era couldn't translate to the common skill level typical to the ABA rosters. The ABA just didn't enough dominate big men to play the center-oriented NBA game. The Swiss Army knife kind of player became more of a norm as a necessity. It is fun to watch if frustratingly inconsistent in winning and losing.

First team to 120 won those games. That might just be Fran's objective.
The old ABA no doubt has had an impact on how basketball is played. The three-point shot was an ABA innovation, which then migrated to the NBA and beyond. You still need defense, though. Just ask the Warriors.

The old ABA no doubt has had an impact on how basketball is played. The three-point shot was an ABA innovation, which then migrated to the NBA and beyond. You still need defense, though. Just ask the Warriors.
They should have kept the red, white and blue balls. Those were cool. Couldn't wait for my weekly Sporting News to arrive so I could get coverage of the ABA, rarely on TV. Get the box scores for the entire week in NBA/ABA games.

They didn't play much defense then and from the little I see don't play much defense now. Although that isn't my problem with the NBA, cuz I prefer action and speed of play in a pretty physical environment (a typical Fran team). Just prefer more of a tactical passing and ball movement. More prevalent in college games, I opine, than the NBA.

Reactions: General Tso
I'm not even sure whos side is defending whos side, but this is the most ridiculous post I've ever read.

Again, seriously? Saying you don't understand something that is explicit had you read the post to which I was responding does not really reflect much intelligence. Why insult me? Why pick a fight with me? You already admitted you did not understand something I wrote and then labeled what you admittedly did not understand as "the most ridiculous." If you do not understand something you are not in a logical position to call it "the most ridiculous post I've ever read." Like your snark, your insight was no more sophisticated than, maybe 8th grade

Then, just as you realize your J High snark got flipped and you had become beclowned, the second foot falls. If you're going to pick a fight with a writer, you should probably not display failed Grammar School spelling or grammar skills. Not sure if you meant "whose" or "who's" but either way you lose. I haven't searched but I don't think the word "whos" exists in the English language.

What adjectives are usually applied to a reader that feels entitled to insult a writer for writing something that the reader self-admittedly did not understand? Ignorant? Bully? Intolerant? Abusive? Sadistic? Which are you?

Here's a thought. How about you ignore me, and I will ignore you? I will take your lack of a reply as an armistice.​

All I know is that we are averaging 100 points a game, not unlike the 1970's squad. If we can keep that up, we ought to have a pretty good season!🤪

Reactions: Bishop1971
Again, seriously? Saying you don't understand something that is explicit had you read the post to which I was responding does not really reflect much intelligence. Why insult me? Why pick a fight with me? You already admitted you did not understand something I wrote and then labeled what you admittedly did not understand as "the most ridiculous." If you do not understand something you are not in a logical position to call it "the most ridiculous post I've ever read." Like your snark, your insight was no more sophisticated than, maybe 8th grade

Then, just as you realize your J High snark got flipped and you had become beclowned, the second foot falls. If you're going to pick a fight with a writer, you should probably not display failed Grammar School spelling or grammar skills. Not sure if you meant "whose" or "who's" but either way you lose. I haven't searched but I don't think the word "whos" exists in the English language.

What adjectives are usually applied to a reader that feels entitled to insult a writer for writing something that the reader self-admittedly did not understand? Ignorant? Bully? Intolerant? Abusive? Sadistic? Which are you?

Here's a thought. How about you ignore me, and I will ignore you? I will take your lack of a reply as an armistice.​
Damn Deplorable, calm down brother.

I live on Xanax, some anti anxiety prescriptions, sedatives and tranquilizers. I'm Big Pharma's best customer-and oh, the irony in that state of affairs. This is me being calm.
Doctors love to prescribe that crap. They tried a number of them on me and I couldn't get out of bed and when I did manage that, I was useless to everyone including myself. I'm glad it works for you Dog, but it wasn't for me.

Doctors love to prescribe that crap. They tried a number of them on me and I couldn't get out of bed and when I did manage that, I was useless to everyone including myself. I'm glad it works for you Dog, but it wasn't for me.
"Works" might be a strong word. I get a little sleep and haven't killed anyone, at least not recently.

Reactions: Bishop1971
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT