ADVERTISEMENT

Fran McCaffery Recruiting, His Eye for Talent and Player Development

I like Krikke and Brauns, even if they don't blow your socks off when you watch them. They appear to be athletic inside workhorses - the type that does pretty well at Iowa.

I dunno man. I watched Brauns' highlights and no longer have socks on. Can't think of the last white dude Iowa had that could throw down that caliber of monstrous dunks and protect the rim like a dad in the driveway playing with a bunch of 8-year-olds. He had 7 blocks in one game and they were pro-style "gtfoh" blocks.

Guessing he lacks shooting touch and may not be the scorer Rebraca was, but I'm very encouraged with his motor, physicality and athleticism.

Brauns and Krikke are really good under the radar portal pick ups. Krikke seems to really good on the offensive end, and maybe not great defensively. Brauns seems more physical, but not as flashy. If one of the PGs steps up allowing Perkins to play at 2, Iowa should be really good offensively. Defense remains the big question.

In terms of Fran's success, if Iowa could just start having some success in the dance, I think he would get a lot more respect from the fans.

Reactions: NI hawk
Brauns and Krikke are really good under the radar portal pick ups. Krikke seems to really good on the offensive end, and maybe not great defensively. Brauns seems more physical, but not as flashy. If one of the PGs steps up allowing Perkins to play at 2, Iowa should be really good offensively. Defense remains the big question.

In terms of Fran's success, if Iowa could just start having some success in the dance, I think he would get a lot more respect from the fans.

It’s year 14, how long do we have to wait to start having some success?

it took 14 years to reach the 2nd rnd. and this last season 30 years later they reached the FF,

the men have only been to the FF 3 times in the history of the NCAAT. also the men have reached the sweet 16 8 times, now you expecting the sweet 16 every year.

again just for the haters, these the 4* players that join the team this summer
6'8/9 Dembele
6'10/11 Freeman
6'9 Krikke
6'0/1 Harding
6'7 Sanfort top 100 by all the services.

so out of 12 players Fran will have 5 4* players that will join top 100 4* Patrick. this will be Fran's best roster it will be young but there is no denying the quality at least on Paper and next team will only be better,

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: weeterkane
it took 14 years to reach the 2nd rnd. and this last season 30 years later they reached the FF,

the men have only been to the FF 3 times in the history of the NCAAT. also the men have reached the sweet 16 8 times, now you expecting the sweet 16 every year.

again just for the haters, these the 4* players that join the team this summer
6'8/9 Dembele
6'10/11 Freeman
6'9 Krikke
6'0/1 Harding
6'7 by all the services.

so out of 12 players Fran will have 5 4* players that will join top 100 4* Patrick. this will be Fran's best roster it will be young but there is no denying the quality at least on Paper and next team will only be better,

Expecting the sweet 16 every year? How about once every 14 years ?

Never did get a response from Logic, so I’ll answer my own question.

In 2022, Iowa was 9th in the B1G in basketball expenses (without NW reporting). Which was 6.7% of the athletic spending.

2021: Iowa was 10th
2020: Iowa was 6th but still spent below the B1G average.
2019: Iowa was 11th
2018: Iowa was 9th.

Here is how Iowa finished in the B1G during these same years.

2022: 4th vs 9th in spending
2021: 3rd vs 10th in spending
2020: 5th vs 6th in spending
2019: 6th vs 11th in spending
2018: 11th vs 9th in spending

In 2022, Iowa was 19th in the country (6th in the B1G) for operating revenue for all sports. They were 13th in the country (5th in the B1G) for operating expenses. Iowa is making money and spending it. As I suspected, only a small amount of that is going back to basketball.
Where does Fran’s compensation rank among B1G coaches? I’d love to see compensation vs performance in three areas: conference W-L, B1G Tourney W-L, NCAA W-L.

Most awards are given for offensive numbers not defense.
Garza: I don’t give fran as much credit here. Garzas off-season workouts and work ethic made him what he was. I can’t say that about the others but garza is in a workout warrior class if his own for college athletes.

Fran's regular season success has been better than you might expect, given the disadvantages he faces versus most of the other teams in the B1G (recruiting base, fan base, recent program history, and now $$$). Iowa has been in the top half of the league almost every year after we mostly recovered from the damage done during Alford and especially Lick, when Iowa became a doormat among power conference teams. We did finally have success in the BTT two years ago, and had some incredibly exciting wins during the past season. Fran also runs one of the cleanest programs among power conference teams, which is a big deal to me. I am not happy that the dance has become a regular disappointment, but if fans think replacing Fran has a high likelihood of greater success, I am not sure that I agree.

Garza: I don’t give fran as much credit here. Garzas off-season workouts and work ethic made him what he was. I can’t say that about the others but garza is in a workout warrior class if his own for college athletes.
Fran put him position to do what he did. nobody could have seen how he would have done anywhere else.

Reactions: Willin
as long as it takes Dr Tom had 1 elite 8 and 2 sweet 16's and he was run off. considering until Dr. Tom Iowa had only reached the Elite 8 7 other times and 6 sweet 16's until Iowa 6 times. and that wasn't good enough as fans [cough cough] was not good enough and wanted a coach that would take Iowa to the next level. here we are 23 years later wanting Fran fired and hire the coach that will take Iowa to that next level.

as long as it takes Dr Tom had 1 elite 8 and 2 sweet 16's and he was run off. considering until Dr. Tom Iowa had only reached the Elite 8 7 other times and 6 sweet 16's until Iowa 6 times. and that wasn't good enough as fans [cough cough] was not good enough and wanted a coach that would take Iowa to the next level. here we are 23 years later wanting Fran fired and hire the coach that will take Iowa to that next level.

I know you’ve settled. It’s year 14.

Where does Fran’s compensation rank among B1G coaches? I’d love to see compensation vs performance in three areas: conference W-L, B1G Tourney W-L, NCAA W-L.

For a little perspective, Penn State’s newest basketball coach, Mike Rhoades, makes more than Fran.

Fran $3.2 mil
Collins (NW) $3+ mil “in excess of $3 mil”
Pikiell (RU) $3 mil
Woodson (IU) $3 mil
Johnson (Minn) $1.95 mil

I’m seeing Fran as the 10th highest paid coach (possibly 11th with NW/Chris Collins). No one below him has outperformed him. Mike Woodson might have an argument after two years at IU, but Fran is 4-0 vs him in this stretch.

For a little perspective, Penn State’s newest basketball coach, Mike Rhoades, makes more than Fran.

Fran $3.2 mil
Collins (NW) $3+ mil “in excess of $3 mil”
Pikiell (RU) $3 mil
Woodson (IU) $3 mil
Johnson (Minn) $1.95 mil

I’m seeing Fran as the 10th highest paid coach (possibly 11th with NW/Chris Collins). No one below him has outperformed him. Mike Woodson might have an argument after two years at IU, but Fran is 4-0 vs him in this stretch.
Woodson has had more recruiting success (it is IU), but he definitely has not been a better coach otherwise.

Reactions: iahawks10
gee getting the 10th best player out of the portal and a 4* by On3 is nothing. once a hater and loser always a hater and a loser.

you must expect Fran to bring 5* recruits every year and produce NC every year. and if you to claim different then you can add liar to that group.

Reactions: perryhawk
gee getting the 10th best player out of the portal and a 4* by On3 is nothing. once a hater and loser always a hater and a loser.

you must expect Fran to bring 5* recruits every year and produce NC every year. and if you to claim different then you can add liar to that group.

How are you related to Fran? It’s year 14, past time to produce results on the court.

So you call people losers , haters or liars if they disagree with you. Real class

Reactions: weeterkane
Part of Fran's philosophy is recruiting high character so he's going to get guys that work hard. You have to give him a little credit for that. He's very open about the type of character he tries to recruit. That can be a negative as well but also it can be a positive. It was definitely a positive with Garza and the Murray's.

ADVERTISEMENT