ADVERTISEMENT

Fran McCaffery will miss Sunday's game after testing positive for COVID

Apr 8, 2003

Fran McCaffery To Miss Sunday’s Game

Iowa head coach tests positive for COVID

IOWA CITY, Iowa --
University of Iowa head men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery has entered health and safety protocols after testing positive for COVID on Friday. McCaffery will miss Sunday’s home game versus Minnesota.

Assistant Coach Billy Taylor, who has the scout for the Gophers, will serve as acting head coach for the Hawkeyes in McCaffery’s absence.

Iowa (14-7, 4-6) hosts Minnesota (11-8, 2-8) on Sunday at 3:31 p.m. (CT) on Mediacom Court at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa.

Patrick and Connor has to be tested. I assume Connor is out for Sunday anyway but losing a 6-10 double digit scorer in Patrick is of concern, if he turns up positive.

Reactions: perryhawk
Patrick and Connor has to be tested. I assume Connor is out for Sunday anyway but losing a 6-10 double digit scorer in Patrick is of concern, if he turns up positive.
Depends upon where they are living. If they are out of the house, then no. I believe they have stopped testing vaccinated players if they are showing no symptoms. That's how the season has been able to progress without more cancellations.

Here's wishing speedy recovery for Fran, hoping for mild symptoms.

I doubt they are around him much more than any other player. They do not live at home.

Are they even testing players or other personnel if they are not showing symptoms?

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
The big concern (besides Fran's health) would be if this spreads to the team requiring quarantine, days missed from practice, etc......it could be a major disruption at a time where this team needs to find a groove and get on track...not good.

Minnesota is a decent team......they've shown that they can be very tough. There are no gimme's in the B10, any team can beat any other team on a given day.

Minny has lost only to ranked teams and IU&Iowa.
They are much healthier than when the Hawks beat them in the Barn. Curry is back.
Interesting that Fran chose Taylor to guide the team over Dillard and Speraw.
Just when Fran goes public with thoughts of shaking up our starting lineup, he goes down.
I presume Billy will follow Frans instructions on starters but wonder if flow of the game substituting decisions will be left to Taylor.

They are much healthier than when the Hawks beat them in the Barn. Curry is back.
Just when Fran goes public with thoughts of shaking up our starting lineup, he goes down.
I presume Billy will follow Frans instructions on starters but wonder if flow of the game substituting decisions will be left to Taylor.
Taylor did the scout and plan. Not sure if you know what that means at Iowa, but assistants take turns scouting and preparing the game plan for each game. We'll find out how well Taylor did for Minnesota as the in-game coaching will be on him, too.

Reactions: perryhawk
There would be no way for them not to be.

I guess they’d be in a similar position 3 weeks ago AT Minnesota when it was 43-27 at the half.
That was the same game IOWA was up 74-71 with 90 seconds to go vs 7 scholarship team, yes?

That was the same game IOWA was up 74-71 with 90 seconds to go vs 7 scholarship team, yes?

Sure was and won by 10 on the road. People bitched, cried, and carried on after that win too. The point this proves, that people will bitch after every game, win or lose, even in the scenario that you proposed.

Do you get it now after it was spelled out for you?

I recall a game in the 80's where George Raveling was home sick and the game turned out to be the best coached game of the season. I don't remember which assistant took over that night.

Sure was and won by 10 on the road. People bitched, cried, and carried on after that win too. The point this proves, that people will bitch after every game, win or lose, even in the scenario that you proposed.

Do you get it now after it was spelled out for you?
or posters like you constantly changing the gold posts…

Not quite sure how I moved them, but let’s recap and see:

@Rifler said “No shit,.. who will the haters blame if Fran isn't there to take the flak?”

You replied “What if IOWA starts fast and are up 20 at half ?”

I pointed out where people bitched about Fran after being up 16 to this exact same team on the road three weeks ago. (* up 20 3:17 into the 2nd half).

Where I see the goal post being moved is when you asked if it was the same game that Iowa was up 3 with 90 seconds. That would be the definition of moving goal posts.

Goal posts. But carry on. I agree. Coaches who make poor decisions in a given game should be open to criticism, win or lose. Those bad decisions result not only in wins by closer than necessary margins against outmanned teams, but also in losses against teams with full rosters going forward. It's not that hard to understand if you're thinking with a clear head.

• Love
Reactions: MikeyHawk and KcTo
It's Minnesota, for chrissake.

I could coach the Hawks on Sunday and beat the Gophs.

giphy.gif

Depends upon where they are living. If they are out of the house, then no. I believe they have stopped testing vaccinated players if they are showing no symptoms. That's how the season has been able to progress without more cancellations.

Here's wishing speedy recovery for Fran, hoping for mild symptoms.

@Blair Sanderson or @TomKakert , do you know the current protocols?

Fran only was tested because he had symptoms, correct? And if so, what happens next? Who else gets tested or does no one else get tested unless they, too, show symptoms?

This was confusing when the issue came up with the women's team as well.

cc: @KyleHuesmann

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT