ADVERTISEMENT

Fran talks about why Beilein left Michigan & whether other Colleges Tamper w/ Players (they do)

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
From HawkCentral.com:

John Beilein’s sudden, mid-May departure from the University of Michigan — where he led the Wolverines to four Big Ten Conference titles and two national runner-up finishes — for the NBA’s Cleveland Cavaliers certainly caught national attention.

One of his longtime colleagues and friends, Iowa’s Fran McCaffery, took notice.

“He didn’t like it there. He loved it there,” McCaffery said in an interview with the Des Moines Register this week. “But our game has changed.

“I know he’s disappointed in the state of our game right now. The unethical nature of what’s been going on.”

The news struck a nerve with McCaffery, who actually replaced Beilein as one of the head coaches to serve on the NCAA's Ethics Coalition. Beilein was known for producing excellent college teams without cheating.

“It’s getting harder and harder the way he does it, the way I do it,” McCaffery said. “The way it should be done.”

FBI probes and illegal payments of players have been the most glaring scars in the game. But it seems like more issues than ever are cropping up that tear apart the notion of players experiencing a four-year career at one school.

McCaffery said a new rule this year that players can sign with agents but still return to school is one example of unintended consequences damaging the game. Beilein seemed resigned to losing young stars Ignas Brazdeikis and Jordan Poole, who had hired agents but not officially made an NBA decision.

McCaffery: "Agents signing our players and inserting themselves into the equation — it’s safe to say there’s no agent out there that’s advocating for the University of Michigan. I can tell you that.

"I’m not sure some of those rules were for the better. At the time, we all said, you know what? Change is coming. We embraced the change, and we’ll adjust. I’m not sure the change was good. The new recruiting rules. The interaction with agents. The transfer portal. Grad transfers. There are cases when it’s good; but it creates mega-problems elsewhere.

"And if you weigh the collateral damage with some of the changes that were made versus some of the small amount of good ... we probably should make some changes again.”

TOPIC 2: Are other colleges tampering with players?

Absolutely, McCaffery said. (Keep reading.)

That’s why he is adamantly opposed to the thought that all transfers should be immediately eligible.

Iowa recently lost fourth-year junior Isaiah Moss, who intends to become a graduate transfer at Arkansas.

To be clear, McCaffery didn’t insinuate anything about any program tampering with Moss. But he did relate the conversation to his days at UNC-Greensboro and Siena, and what might’ve happened then if today’s transfer-portal frenzy would have been around.

McCaffery: “If you look at reality, the transfer portal is free agency. Grad transfers are free agency.

“Transferring now has become more of the norm. I had some great players (at UNC-Greensboro and Siena) that would have been tampered with. Recruited right off my team.

“You’re not supposed to do that. But that’s what’s being done. It’s kind of on the low end of the cheating that’s going on. Talking to a guy who might be a grad transfer or talking a guy into transferring. That’s against the rules."

The full story: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...kamp-john-beilein-ncaa-tournament/3665911002/

Last edited:
I'm not up to date on all the rules and I may sound old school (get off my lawn) but

I'd like if they just made scholarships an "NCAA eligibility" contract. The school you sign with, you stay with for the entirety of your NCAA eligibility.

Make it a 2 way street. The player is guaranteed to have the scholarship through the entirety of their NCAA eligibility and the team is guaranteed the student athlete through his entire NCAA eligibility.

Then have a short list of ways that the contract can be broken. (Head Coach leaves, major NCAA violations by school or player, player wants to move up/down to D1/D2)

What's the harm in teaching these young guys commitment to a school/team/coach/teammates?

I'm not up to date on all the rules and I may sound old school (get off my lawn) but

I'd like if they just made scholarships an "NCAA eligibility" contract. The school you sign with, you stay with for the entirety of your NCAA eligibility.

Make it a 2 way street. The player is guaranteed to have the scholarship through the entirety of their NCAA eligibility and the team is guaranteed the student athlete through his entire NCAA eligibility.

Then have a short list of ways that the contract can be broken. (Head Coach leaves, major NCAA violations by school or player, player wants to move up/down to D1/D2)

What's the harm in teaching these young guys commitment to a school/team/coach/teammates?

There is no harm in teaching commitment.

But, players and coaches make recruiting mistakes, and it's turns out the player isn't going to play much. A player might find he doesn't like the coach, doesn't like the school, becomes homesick, hates the weather, etc., etc.

You're saying a player is simply stuck in situation that he doesn't like? Or, say he's always dreamed of playing in Iowa, but it doesn't work out at Iowa, ISU, Drake or UNI - and he can only transfer to Upper Iowa?

Harsh.

The basic complaint that everybody does not play the rules has been there for years. I can remember Lute Olson talking about the problems related to recruiting. The only way to stop cheating and tampering is to banish those who engage in it when they get
caught. There will always be those who will take a chance but once a number of cheaters have been banned from the game forever, the problems will diminish.

The basic complaint that everybody does not play the rules has been there for years. I can remember Lute Olson talking about the problems related to recruiting. The only way to stop cheating and tampering is to banish those who engage in it when they get
caught. There will always be those who will take a chance but once a number of cheaters have been banned from the game forever, the problems will diminish.
This. The NCAA has no teeth, or at least not the stomach to actually drop the hammer on anyone of significance. Until they actually go back to an SMU type death penalty, we'll just keep seeing the same stuff from member schools, because the gain far out weighs any perceived penalty. Clearly, even egregious examples like Baylor, North Carolina, and MSU leave little hope that we are moving in the right direction.....:(

Good article but it also sounds a wee bit like Fran is making excuses.

So if a coach recruits over you as a player you should not be allowed to seek playing time somewhere else? The real problem in the college game is the shoe company money floating around and making its way to players. The only way to stop it is a lifetime ban for the coaches caught paying their players.

This. The NCAA has no teeth, or at least not the stomach to actually drop the hammer on anyone of significance. Until they actually go back to an SMU type death penalty, we'll just keep seeing the same stuff from member schools, because the gain far out weighs any perceived penalty. Clearly, even egregious examples like Baylor, North Carolina, and MSU leave little hope that we are moving in the right direction.....:(
Correct.

If the NCAA would start punishing schools/coaches (real punishments, and including the blue bloods), then it would clean up most of the cheating.

Reactions: Bravehawk56
Allowing the players to be paid what they're worth would even the playing field for honest coaches.
Couldn't be farther from reality here. So your saying the best way to solve this is an all out bidding war for players? Seriously, and how would an honest coach stay in his lane and compete with the big money boys? And WHO and from WHERE exactly is the money coming from? :confused::oops:

Couldn't be farther from reality here. So your saying the best way to solve this is an all out bidding war for players? Seriously, and how would an honest coach stay in his lane and compete with the big money boys? And WHO and from WHERE exactly is the money coming from? :confused::oops:

If colleges can figure out how to appropriate funds to pay college coaches (and other school employees), they can do the same for players.

If colleges can figure out how to appropriate funds to pay college coaches (and other school employees), they can do the same for players.
Free market? That's what we have but it is currently an underground business that only cheaters utilize. Making it legal will just mean the most well-funded schools get the best players. It won't even the playing field. Even if they try to cap compensation, cheaters will find a way around it.

Thats not the issue, and you know it. The problem is that if your going to start paying them, (above the table) then the top players are going to go where they are getting the best offer for their services. Hence the bidding war. Your solution solves nothing, it just makes the cheating legal. :eek: At least now if the kid and his parents have any moral code or concern that something like this current FBI investigation might pop up, maybe they'll think twice.

Reactions: DewHawk
Dumb question, but if colleges start paying their student athletes, would every dollar spent on male athletes have to be matched on female athletes too?

Reactions: Hawk_82
I think it'd be insane to say the only reason Beilein left was the sliminess of college hoops, but it clearly played a role. To have coaches on tape talking about 5 and 6 figure payments they are directing to recruits and not have any repercussions? That's simply nauseating to someone that plays by every rule in the book.

Free market? That's what we have but it is currently an underground business that only cheaters utilize. Making it legal will just mean the most well-funded schools get the best players. It won't even the playing field. Even if they try to cap compensation, cheaters will find a way around it.

The best schools already get the best players. Allowing athletes to get fairly compensated wouldn’t damage competitive balance.

See the write up for myth #4: https://sportsgeekonomics.tumblr.com/myths

Thats not the issue, and you know it. The problem is that if your going to start paying them, (above the table) then the top players are going to go where they are getting the best offer for their services. Hence the bidding war. Your solution solves nothing, it just makes the cheating legal. :eek: At least now if the kid and his parents have any moral code or concern that something like this current FBI investigation might pop up, maybe they'll think twice.

Paying employees = making cheating legal?

What is so inherently wrong with athletes getting paid?

First off having put two sons through college, I can tell you that what these players are receiving with their education from a respected university is indeed substancial. Once they remove any barriers too paying players it will be an all out bidding war, with the big dollar donors controlling where all the top players go. Certainly what is going on now is not a perfect system, but I don't see anyway that opening it up for players to go to the highest bidder will make it better. Do you really think that Iowa will benefit from that scenario, or will we fall even farther behind?

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj
First off having put two sons through college, I can tell you that what these players are receiving with their education from a respected university is indeed substancial. Once they remove any barriers too paying players it will be an all out bidding war, with the big dollar donors controlling where all the top players go. Certainly what is going on now is not a perfect system, but I don't see anyway that opening it up for players to go to the highest bidder will make it better. Do you really think that Iowa will benefit from that scenario, or will we fall even farther behind?

Iowa would absolutely benefit. The athletic program is top 15-20 in the country in revenue, but we don’t cheat and play payers. Removing that barrier would be a good thing for honest programs that have money.

The best schools already get the best players. Allowing athletes to get fairly compensated wouldn’t damage competitive balance.

See the write up for myth #4: https://sportsgeekonomics.tumblr.com/myths
They do, but again it would not be equal because cheaters would find a way to pay more. You are kidding yourself if you don't think that would happen.

The only deterrent to cheating is better monitoring and stronger, enforced penalties. The coaches and ADs need to suffer the consequences. And blaming/ penalizing the players won't fix the problem.

They do, but again it would not be equal because cheaters would find a way to pay more. You are kidding yourself if you don't think that would happen.

The only deterrent to cheating is better monitoring and stronger, enforced penalties. The coaches and ADs need to suffer the consequences. And blaming/ penalizing the players won't fix the problem.

Why is paying athletes a bad thing?

Guessing he got tired of plugging his nose while all the money poured to the players.

Adidas got caught and Nike is being protected by friends in government because they are likely doing what Adidas does except on a level that makes Adidas look like amateur hour.

I don’t think you can compete at a high level without paid players. My guess is there is an unwritten rule that everybody knows it’s going on and nobody is ever suppose to breathe a word of it when the head coach is around. That way he can have plausible deniability.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Fran needs to get with the times. Stop bitching about teams tampering and go tamper yourself.

Fran is right about a lot in that interview. The problem is the NCAA turning a blind eye to what is going on. It took the FBI sting to catch some of the big fish and the NCAA still has not came out swinging against them, even though it's pretty black and white that they are guilty of infractions. The North Carolina case was the worst thing I have seen in a long time. Nothing was done. Michigan State, Ohio State, Baylor?? nothing done. Arizona with Miller. So far nothing done. Yet, some coaches make to many texts or phone calls and they get put on a Show Clause. Until some fires the whole NCAA governing board and makes a penalty board, it's a joke.

I would submit that you take it out of the NCAA's hands. The whole penalty phase and pay a neutral group of people who investigate and hand out punishment. blue bloods are heavily favored when it comes to penalty.

There isn't. No one is stopping them from trying. See "Professional Basketball" for further info.

True, and if the NBA truly decides to throw real money at the G-League, you could see a LOT more players going there. I don't think we're far off from that. Almost all of the teams own their own G-League franchise, and if they bump salaries to 100k+, you could see a lot more college players trying there hand there. Long story short, I think that would be a really bad thing for college basketball.

Sadly, I actually think you’re being serious.
I am, everyone is in on the transfer game from top to the bottom in the NCAA yet Fran still seems reluctant to get involved. Despite the fact one of the biggest reasons for his success was that he got a great transfer. Keep up the with times or the times will pass you by.

I am, everyone is in on the transfer game from top to the bottom in the NCAA yet Fran still seems reluctant to get involved. Despite the fact one of the biggest reasons for his success was that he got a great transfer. Keep up the with times or the times will pass you by.
You’re just being dumb at this point. Transfer game is a lot different than the cheating game which you suggested. Just stop because you’re making yourself look foolish now.

And you have no idea what Fran’s intentions are in the transfer game.

Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj
Interesting statement. You do realize that at many schools 2 sports make all the money for the athletic department and sometimes only one makes money and at Iowa the Athletic Department is not subsidized by the Tax payer. Which sports are you willing to give up?
Keep in mind you will still need to stay Title IX compliant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT