ADVERTISEMENT

Fran the Fan

HawkOptimist

HB Heisman
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2006
Went to last night's boys state baseball tournament game between DSM East and IA City West at Principal Park in DSM. We live in the area and it was a beautiful night, so I took my 3 year-old to the game.

Anyway, we were in our seats when who should come walking down the aisle to his? None other than Fran McCaffery. Sat about 5 rows below us. Turns out Connor plays right field for West. Tanner Lohaus plays as well ... can't remember what position. Didn't see Brad.

Nothing earth shattering, but it was neat to see Fran in the stands just being a dad rooting on his son and his son's team. Cool moment (at least to me) ... East was up, I believe, 3-1 in the 4th or 5th inning and West had the based loaded. A kid hit a gapper to the fence that cleared the bases. As soon as the ball was hit, Fran was up yelling and waving the guys around the bases as if he was coaching. As the go-ahead run scored he gave a few wild fist pumps into the air and was high-fiving the guys around him.

I was tempted a few times, but decided not to be "that guy" who asks for an autograph and a picture with my son while he was there watching his. Instead, at one point when he got up to grab something to eat, I yelled "Go Hawks!" He smiled and gave a thumbs up and said, "Thank you, go Hawks!"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News