ADVERTISEMENT

Fran's Continual Missing On Recruits

Completely unfair. Cartwrite was a good pg. Mike was a very good pg, maybe not what we all thought he might be but very good. JBO is a very good pg. Again, you might not like him but by any measure he's very good. He whiffed on CW, he whiffed on Dickerson but mostly he's done ok. Now he's missed on some pretty big fish in hindsight but to say his recruiting of pg's is horrific is wrong. He needs another good one and hopefully he has him in his son and he will bring in a great one next.

His son on the roster will be a huge burden to recruiting a PG who wants to start immediately. Other teams will use this against Fran.

Fran has guaranteed minutes for his kid by not recruiting any legitimate competition. CW.....6'6 PG with poor handles and a brick for a shot and a bad hip...Elllingson was supposed to be able to play backup PG in Fran's plan...that didn't work out. The kid from Kentucky is more of the same....shooting guard with so-so athleticism/handles. It is JBo and Connor and that is it. Connor will need to be decent or the howls from fans will be pretty loud, especially if the mediocre to poor W/L records of last 2 season continues.

JBO is a very good pg. Again, you might not like him but by any measure he's very good.

Agree with the general point regarding Fran's recruiting, but assume you are leaving out defensive measures when you say by any measure, JBO's been very good. Although there are certainly problems with advanced defensive stats, those stats had JBO has the worst defensive player in the Big Ten last year. He is certainly toward the bottom, if not the bottom of the Big Ten point guards defensively.

Fran has guaranteed minutes for his kid by not recruiting any legitimate competition. CW.....6'6 PG with poor handles and a brick for a shot and a bad hip...Elllingson was supposed to be able to play backup PG in Fran's plan...that didn't work out. The kid from Kentucky is more of the same....shooting guard with so-so athleticism/handles. It is JBo and Connor and that is it. Connor will need to be decent or the howls from fans will be pretty loud, especially if the mediocre to poor W/L records of last 2 season continues.
Pure gold conspiracy theory there. Hope it was a good day of drinking prior to posting.

Pure gold conspiracy theory there. Hope it was a good day of drinking prior to posting.

Only dim boomers still use the phrase “conspiracy theory” in order to try to marginalize a point of view (because they’re unable to provide a counter argument). Whatever you want to call it, having your own kid play for you at this level rarely works out well. Two of your own children? Hahaha has that ever even been tried?

Instead of flinging pejoratives around like a dim boomer, provide even one example where it has worked out well (keeping in mind that even Pete Maravich’s LSU teams never made the NCAA tourney even once).

Go...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ihawkhoops
I find it odd that many people do not understand how recruiting works. Even the Dukes and Kentucky's of the world do not get all the prospects they covet.

Instead of attacking Fran, perhaps one should care to listen and understand what D.J. Carton is looking for. Not every recruit wants to play for their home state school, sometimes they want to find a system they feel they fit better in, or for a program that is more successful, or for a certain type of coach (coaching staff). Fran was not the issue in what D.J. was looking for, if anything I'm more critical of the Iowa fans and their treatment of past home grown kids (Bohannon and Pemsl last year got eaten alive by iowa fans... before that Woodbury and Ogelsby were whipping boys).

My challenge to iowa fans is to appreciate who wants to be a Hawkeye and go out and support those guys with fire and passion.... the rest wil take care of itself in time. We've lost our way as a fanbase in my opinion.

I second that

Dumb post. Williams hurt his hip after being recruited, and BE was thought to be a SG, only having to play PG when CW left for surgery and CM got sick. We have no idea how athletic Fredrick even is at this point. Missing out on top level PG's, suck. Sharing an interest with fans like you, blows.

Fran looks content with missing out yet again on a true PG for our 2019 class. I see the 2020 possibly being better but Fran may not make it. Lets go coaching staff bring us to the tourney!!

Instead of flinging pejoratives around like a dim boomer, provide even one example where it has worked out well (keeping in mind that even Pete Maravich’s LSU teams never made the NCAA tourney even once).

Go...

Here's a nice pic of John Wooden and his son. ;)

23550530_1.jpg

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Only dim boomers still use the phrase “conspiracy theory” in order to try to marginalize a point of view (because they’re unable to provide a counter argument). Whatever you want to call it, having your own kid play for you at this level rarely works out well. Two of your own children? Hahaha has that ever even been tried?

Go...

I guess we would first have to find an example of a D1 head coach with TWO top 100 prospects. The crop of examples would be very few, so whether it is good or bad is mere conjecture.

If you’d like a list of coach’s kids who have had pretty solid-to-great careers for their fathers, the list wouldn’t be too hard to create.

Based purely on ranking numbers, our fan base would be very excited about Connor Mason and Patrick McGovern, and based on their ranking it would make recruiting the same position more difficult no matter what. It is easy to concede, however, that recruiting over them is doubly difficult due to their family relationship.

Really, there seems to be no solution outside what has actually transpired: recruiting them, and suffering the consequences. Personally, I blame Fran’s loins.

Reactions: RocknRollface
It’s still a coach’s game. Make no mistake. You start at the top. If you don’t have a good one at the top, you don’t have a cut dog’s chance. If you do, the rest falls into place. That includes recruiting.

Before last year, you could make a case that Fran had the program moving up, but last year made it really hard to sell that to a recruit who wants to win championships. You want to see guys out there winning games and having fun. I sure didn't see much of that last year... I thought Carton was a key recruit for the future of the program under Fran, so my optimism is on life support.

The problem was obvious before last year. No good coach has the kind of collapses his teams had. They should have resulted In probation , with last year resulting in termination.

The problem was obvious before last year. No good coach has the kind of collapses his teams had. They should have resulted In probation , with last year resulting in termination.
I think your opinion is in the minority. Either way, this year needs to be a much better year, or there won't be a lot of Fran supporters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT