ADVERTISEMENT

Fran's statement tells you everything you need to know about his mood about CJ's transfer

Am I the only one who sees potential risk that P-Mac's tweet, P-Mac and C-Mac unfollowing CJF on Twitter, and the subsequent non-statement by Fran here might be utilized by other schools to negatively recruit against Iowa? Seems too easy to spin a narrative of nepotism issues. Merely speculation by myself though

Edits: Spelling

And here's the statement from CJ:

Am I the only one that finds the statement from CJ odd.........?

"After talking with Coach McCaffery and with the statement released this morning from the University of Iowa....."

Esp the "with the statement released from the UI".......So, was he not planning on entering the portal until the UI released the statement?

Almost sounds like he talked w/ Fran this morning and Fran made the decision w/ the released mentioned by OP.....odd timing and wording of both statements

"After talking with Coach McCaffery and with the statement released this morning from the University of Iowa....."

Esp the "with the statement released from the UI".......So, was he not planning on entering the portal until the UI released the statement?

Almost sounds like he talked w/ Fran this morning and Fran made the decision w/ the released mentioned by OP.....odd timing and wording of both statements
Agreed.

It's also interesting that CJF's statement was only shared on his personal page, and not by the Iowa Basketball page (at least so far). When Nunge and Wieskamp made their announcements, their statements were released under the Iowa Basketball banner.

I agree the wording is odd. Maybe fran found out cj was going behind his back talking to other schools yet was telling fran to his face he was committed? Who knows, im sure it will come out in the next few days what went on behind the scenes. BUT i will say, if 1 thing has been clear throughout Frans career, it’s that he is EXTREMELY loyal to his players (yes sometimes to a fault but that’s irrelevant here), even the ones that transfer out, so this doesn’t look great for how cj handled this

For those that follow Iowa HS BB, will Sandfort step comfortably into Fredrick's role? .

That is some weird wording. Sure seems kind of petty on Fran’s part.....seems like CJ was not aware Iowa would be releasing official news

I wonder if this starts to break Fran and his loyal to the players no matter what ethos. Almost every other transfer has made sense during Fran’s tenure. Everyone was either a backup, had a long history of injuries or family issues to deal with, or in Moss’s case was going to be a senior losing minutes to a freshman. Fran seemingly supported every one of them and in some cases helped them find new teams.

CJ was a constant starter from the time he was eligible and only didn’t play because of injury. Fran was also the only major college coach to give CJ a chance and gave him a scholarship earlier than expected. Plus Fran has the long-running relationship to CJ’s family. All of that is thrown out with this transfer, that has to be the kind of thing that hurts deep.

And people thought I was making this up?

A parent of a player told me at the BTT there was dissension over certain players and their playing time.
Hmm which players playing time could that me? I bet their last name starts with an M?

Reactions: TRHawkeye145

A parent of a player told me at the BTT there was dissension over certain players and their playing time.

Even with the transfer, I still have problems believing CJ is leaving over playing time. When CJ was healthy, he played a ton...and there was a lot of time this year where CJ was clearly a shell of his normal self due to the injuries.

Even with the transfer, I still have problems believing CJ is leaving over playing time. When CJ was healthy, he played a ton...and there was a lot of time this year where CJ was clearly a shell of his normal self due to the injuries.
May not have been directly related to his playing time. Heck if I was Luka I woulda been ticked about rotations this year

I thought a school couldn't contact a player until they were in the portal. If he just entered the portal how does he know Kentucky will take him? Sounds like Kentucky may have broken some rules here which is probably part of Fran's issue. Now will the NCAA do anything? I guess Western Kentucky may feel the wrath

CJ was a key part of the team going forward. If Weesy is also gone, Iowa has some huge holes to fill, besides center. I am editing my reaction.

No one is saying it's about individual playing time for CJ. It's about getting the best players on the floor who give you the best chance to win. When there is no logical explanation for why a certain player is logging minutes outside their last name, that is going to naturally generate animosity.

No one is saying it's about individual playing time for CJ. It's about getting the best players on the floor who give you the best chance to win. When there is no logical explanation for why a certain player is logging minutes outside their last name, that is going to naturally generate animosity.
Logical explanation=post feeds and glue player talents

CJ started every game he played in. Almost 29 mpg as a FR. Injuries and early season blow outs cut into CJ’s minutes his SO season. Mainly injuries. He is not leaving due to anything related to playing time as his role would only have been extended next year (when healthy).

Logical explanation=post feeds and glue player talents

"Post feeds," "fundamentally sound," "glue guy," etc. are all euphemisms for a coach's son who isn't very good. The pathetic thing is most coaches' sons can at least shoot better than 60% from the foul line.

I sincerely hope someone convinces Connor to focus on baseball.

Am I the only one who sees potential risk that P-Mac's tweet, P-Mac and C-Mac unfollowing CJF on Twitter, and the subsequent non-statement by Fran here might be utilized by other schools to negatively recruit against Iowa? Seems too easy to spin a narrative of nepotism issues. Merely speculation by myself though

Edits: Spelling
No long time friends feeling betrayed. Obvious tampering occurred here too.

Reactions: BDJHawk
CJ started every game he played in. Almost 29 mpg as a FR. Injuries and early season blow outs cut into CJ’s minutes his SO season. Mainly injuries. He is not leaving due to anything related to playing time as his role would only have been extended next year (when healthy).
As others have alluded to, I don't think the dissension has as much to do with his own playing time, but perhaps more playing time than deserved for certain players, and less PT than deserved for others.

"Post feeds," "fundamentally sound," "glue guy," etc. are all euphemisms for a coach's son who isn't very good. The pathetic thing is most coaches' sons can at least shoot better than 60% from the foul line.

I sincerely hope someone convinces Connor to focus on baseball.

Connor's OPS in 2019 was .621. Total of .570 between two teams. That ain't good. Guess he hasn't played baseball since then? Not saying he can't improve, but my advice to Connor: Be sure to get your degree, son.

That's gonna happen when the HC has two kids on the team.

RE: Kenyon's post. Great to see him stand up and support the program (he's one of my favorite Hawk alums) but I think he may have inadvertently validated all the critics.

Only 7 D1 scholly players on the roster? Ouch.

Last edited:
Were talking about jbo correct? I didn’t understand why he was logging so many minutes either. Guess it was just because his daddy played at iowa. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT