ADVERTISEMENT

Fran's statement tells you everything you need to know about his mood about CJ's transfer

Haha, exactly! Most posters on here should be ecstatic about CJ transferring. This means more minutes for Joe T!! He could play like 40 minutes a game now!! Ulis and Perkins will get a ton of time, too, which is all people complained about all last year.

Yeah, everyone was complaining about CJ getting Joe T's minutes. If there was an eye roll emoji, it'd be right here.

8 scholarship players, plus 2 coming in.

Yeah, good call.

Let's see:

Joe T
Ulis
Perkins
PMac
CMac
Keegan
Kris
Josh O
Sandfort
Conn. dude

Yup, you got it. Not as bad as I thought at all. Just have to hope Perkins can fill CJ's shoes. Different type of player, but hopefully he can improve his outside shot. Other than that, he seemed to have a good feel for the game. Should be a better defensive team next year. Offense is a question mark right now.

Reactions: mstp1992
The hell with CJ, he can take his injured lower legs and sit out in Kentucky instead
Serious question...was he really THAT good!?!? I have no problem with this news at all, would rather have a more quicker/athletic player take his spot on our roster. Having said that, if he goes on & tears it up at UK then I don't know what to think!?!? lol

That's gonna happen when the HC has two kids on the team.

RE: Kenyon's post. Great to see him stand up and support the program (he's one of my favorite Hawk alums) but I think he may have inadvertently validated all the critics.

Only 7 D1 scholly players on the roster? Ouch.

And only 2 that he thinks are any good, told I wouldn’t be surprised if they are the next ones out the door.

No long time friends feeling betrayed. Obvious tampering occurred here too.

This. Long time family friends... Tampering from Calipari.
Nepotism is not an issue in CJ's case. But maybe others could say that... I think CMac got too many minutes. Not enough for other bench players.
We'll have plenty of minutes to go around now!

Reactions: mstp1992
Fran can cry himself to sleep. Embrace the portal or be gone within 4 years. Nobody cares about your talking anymore Fran, ****ing win something you red faced baby.
giphy.gif

Yeah, good call.

Let's see:

Joe T
Ulis
Perkins
PMac
CMac
Keegan
Kris
Josh O
Sandfort
Conn. dude

Yup, you got it. Not as bad as I thought at all. Just have to hope Perkins can fill CJ's shoes. Different type of player, but hopefully he can improve his outside shot. Other than that, he seemed to have a good feel for the game. Should be a better defensive team next year. Offense is a question mark right now.

Unfortunately, this is subject to change, since Weezy is likely on his way out, too.

Current Roster (11 currently on scholarship; 2 scholarships available):

FRESHMEN: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort (***)

6'11" C Riley Mulvey (***)

SOPHOMORES: 6 players

6'11" C Josh Ogundele (***)

6'4" G Tony Perkins (***)

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

6'8" F Keegan Murray (Not Rated)

6'8" F Kris Murray (Not Rated)

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

JUNIORS: 1 player

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint (***)

SENIORS : 2 players

6'6" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

6'5" G/F Connor McCaffery (****)

Unfortunately, this is subject to change, since Weezy is likely on his way out, too.

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

All indications are that he won't be back. I'm not counting on him returning.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Unless Of course he doesn’t t get much playing time, which at this point I don’t care anymore. I did, now I don’t.
Does everyone think CJ is talented enough to play for Kentucky? I'm not totally familiar with Kentucky's roster for next year but the they generally cherry pick the elite recruits each year. I would be surprised if A) He plays a bunch of minutes and B) He stays 100% healthy going forward.

Serious question...was he really THAT good!?!? I have no problem with this news at all, would rather have a more quicker/athletic player take his spot on our roster. Having said that, if he goes on & tears it up at UK then I don't know what to think!?!? lol
No he's not that good, and I guess I really don't understand why Calipari would even want him with the level of talent he gets.

CJ started every game he played in. Almost 29 mpg as a FR. Injuries and early season blow outs cut into CJ’s minutes his SO season. Mainly injuries. He is not leaving due to anything related to playing time as his role would only have been extended next year (when healthy).
Actually there were more than a few games where he barely played.

Its not difficult to play with plantar fasciitis after warming up. The real pain comes after the game.

Iowa had to many players to keep happy this year and feelings must have been hurt.

Haha, exactly! Most posters on here should be ecstatic about CJ transferring. This means more minutes for Joe T!! He could play like 40 minutes a game now!! Ulis and Perkins will get a ton of time, too, which is all people complained about all last year.
Honestly can't wait.

Didn't want to lose CJ but it'll be fine.

Actually there were more than a few games where he barely played.

Its not difficult to play with plantar fasciitis after warming up. The real pain comes after the game.

Iowa had to many players to keep happy this year and feelings must have been hurt.

Not sure I follow. Are you suggesting the few games where CJ started, but didn’t finish (IU at home, MSU at home and Oregon), had nothing to do with being injured? This might be craziest and most ridiculous take I’ve seen on this board in quite some time.

There were a few games this season, I mentioned above, where CJ started to see if he could play and was then removed from the lineup after 13 minutes and 12 minutes. Against IU, Iowa was up by 14 or 15 when CJ went out, only to lose the game and begin an obvious downward spiral which correlated directly with his injury. You’re insane if you think CJ’s injury didn’t have anything to do with him only averaging 24.7 mpg this year. If CJ was healthy, he played as much as needed to try and win the game. Not even a debate.

CJ leaving is much less surprising than if Iowa signed a big and an athletic slasher from the portal.
Truth is, Fran can continue to ignore the portal and it won't be an issue for him personally. His current deal has him set through to retirement.

CJ leaving is much less surprising than if Iowa signed a big and an athletic slasher from the portal.
Truth is, Fran can continue to ignore the portal and it won't be an issue for him personally. His current deal has him set through to retirement.
Good point. There are no excuses left for Fran if he whiffs in the portal other than his product / coaching style are not appealing. Somehow Minnesota, Nebraska, and Iowa State with dumpster fire programs and 2 new coaches can land guys but Fran can't?

I moved on from CJ once I saw his announcement. It's up to Fran to demonstrate what he has learned in his 10-11 years on the job.

Not sure I follow. Are you suggesting the few games where CJ started, but didn’t finish (IU at home, MSU at home and Oregon), had nothing to do with being injured? This might be craziest and most ridiculous take I’ve seen on this board in quite some time.

There were a few games this season, I mentioned above, where CJ started to see if he could play and was then removed from the lineup after 13 minutes and 12 minutes. Against IU, Iowa was up by 14 or 15 when CJ went out, only to lose the game and begin an obvious downward spiral which correlated directly with his injury. You’re insane if you think CJ’s injury didn’t have anything to do with him only averaging 24.7 mpg this year. If CJ was healthy, he played as much as needed to try and win the game. Not even a debate.
Calm down Sally and for God sakes cool it with the straw man's ok? Thats not how intelligent people argue.

No where did I say injury had nothing to do with it.

I was merely speculating. Never claimed to know.

If his injury was only plantar fasciitis then that is not enough to keep someone from playing.

Obviously he became unhappy about something and there were rumors of his transfer being about playing time quite a while ago. Specifically the Illinois game.

We now know one part of that rumor was spot on so it leads me to believe the reason could be accurate as well.

Obviously he was sat for performance (maybe injury related, maybe not)but that doesn't mean he agreed with the decision.

Don't the Hawks have 8 players on the current roster?
Kris Murray
Keegan Murray
Patrick McCaffery
Connor McCaffery
Joe Toussaint
Tony Perkins
Ahron Ulis
Josh Ogundele

Add Peyton Sandfort and Riley Mulvey to the mix, and likely 1-2 transfers.

I'm frankly excited about the potential. Both Murrays on the floor at the same time. P-Mac has shown he belongs in the Big Ten. Perkins, Ulis, Toussaint all have skills. Connor is what he is. Sandfort and Mulvey I expect will be fine players. Ogundele has a lot of potential.
I like the opportunity to be wide open and the cream will rise to the top!

Does everyone think CJ is talented enough to play for Kentucky? I'm not totally familiar with Kentucky's roster for next year but the they generally cherry pick the elite recruits each year. I would be surprised if A) He plays a bunch of minutes and B) He stays 100% healthy going forward.

this year's Kentucky team was horrible from 3; in February, when they began tampering, they zero'd in on CJ because of his ability to hit the 3

That is some weird wording. Sure seems kind of petty on Fran’s part.....seems like CJ was not aware Iowa would be releasing official news
Yeah, but IF CJ was saying he was staying, while all the while working behind the scenes, especially supposed uncle-buddy taking part, no reason for Fran to stay "loyal".

No one is saying it's about individual playing time for CJ. It's about getting the best players on the floor who give you the best chance to win. When there is no logical explanation for why a certain player is logging minutes outside their last name, that is going to naturally generate animosity.
So he stayed 3 years, and then risked a "tamper" situation with Kentucky? Yeah, totally rational...

No, Sandfort is NOT quicker than a healthy CJ. One is a forward, one is a guard. Not surprisingly, one has the feet of a guard, one has the feet of a forward

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

Get Rebraca and a swing player that can shoot!

Edit: Spellnig doesn't always work...

Last edited:
this year's Kentucky team was horrible from 3; in February, when they began tampering, they zero'd in on CJ because of his ability to hit the 3
yeah, I guess it just goes to show that even the Blue Bloods need a sharp shooter to coexist with all their athletic 5 star recruits. Still somewhat of a head scratcher though given CJ's apparent health issues at years end. Having said that, hats off to CJ for landing at a high profile program regardless if he gets any meaningful minutes...

While he did not fill up the stat sheet, he seemed to really play well in Fran's system. He always seemed to be in the right place. He almost never turned the ball over. Made great decisions. Was a great shooter, though could have been more aggressive. He was a decent defender. I believe he has a high floor and low ceiling and maximizes his limited athleticism. Losing Luka, Nunge, CJ and likely Weezy and JBo really dings our experience and shooting. But it all depends on how some of the younger guys respond. I actually think CJ fits better as a complementary piece on a great team with elite athletes. I dont think his body could hold up as a main weapon, like what was expected at Iowa next year.

While he did not fill up the stat sheet, he seemed to really play well in Fran's system. He always seemed to be in the right place. He almost never turned the ball over. Made great decisions. Was a great shooter, though could have been more aggressive. He was a decent defender. I believe he has a high floor and low ceiling and maximizes his limited athleticism. Losing Luka, Nunge, CJ and likely Weezy and JBo really dings our experience and shooting. But it all depends on how some of the younger guys respond. I actually think CJ fits better as a complementary piece on a great team with elite athletes. I dont think his body could hold up as a main weapon, like what was expected at Iowa next year.
great post!

Reactions: BirdistheWord
ADVERTISEMENT