ADVERTISEMENT

Fran's statement tells you everything you need to know about his mood about CJ's transfer

Not sure I follow. Are you suggesting the few games where CJ started, but didn’t finish (IU at home, MSU at home and Oregon), had nothing to do with being injured? This might be craziest and most ridiculous take I’ve seen on this board in quite some time.

There were a few games this season, I mentioned above, where CJ started to see if he could play and was then removed from the lineup after 13 minutes and 12 minutes. Against IU, Iowa was up by 14 or 15 when CJ went out, only to lose the game and begin an obvious downward spiral which correlated directly with his injury. You’re insane if you think CJ’s injury didn’t have anything to do with him only averaging 24.7 mpg this year. If CJ was healthy, he played as much as needed to try and win the game. Not even a debate.
So he has a low pain threshold? The op said it was no big deal

Yes, no big deal that’s kept him out of multiple games in multiple seasons.

Low pain threshold is probably right. A guy who started all 52 games he played in an Iowa uniform was held out of 10 games because of a low pain threshold and a no big deal.

Plantar fasciitis is extremely painful, in the morning. Or an an hour after playing.

Its a ligament tear, once you start running and jumping the pain goes away.

I played with it for years.

Eventually you have to stop for a few months to let it heal but its not like a knee, ankle, or torn muscles, and nothing like a bad back.

I can speak from experience on all of them.

Reactions: KcTo
Yes, no big deal that’s kept him out of multiple games in multiple seasons.

Low pain threshold is probably right. A guy who started all 52 games he played in an Iowa uniform was held out of 10 games because of a low pain threshold and a no big deal.

Lol, defending the "pain threshold" of guy who just fvcked his team over all while not actually knowing what the injury was.

Actually there were more than a few games where he barely played.

Its not difficult to play with plantar fasciitis after warming up. The real pain comes after the game.

Iowa had to many players to keep happy this year and feelings must have been hurt.
They get a "letter" so maybe market it as a participation trophy?

Lol, defending the "pain threshold" of guy who just fvcked his team over all while not actually knowing what the injury was.

Im not defending CJ one bit or not directly trying to. There’s a reason why Fran kept him out or at the very least played him sparingly.

Are you implying that CJ was faking an injury? Something he set up two years ago in an attempt to draw Kentucky’s eye for a possible transfer? You’re not serious with this, right?

• Haha
Reactions: RocknRollface
Im not defending CJ one bit or not directly trying to. There’s a reason why Fran kept him out or at the very least played him sparingly.

Are you implying that CJ was faking an injury? Something he set up two years ago in an attempt to draw Kentucky’s eye for a possible transfer? You’re not serious with this, right?
Serious with what? Your made up straw man scenario?

No definitely not. Are you that dumb?

Im implying that its very possible and even likely that CJ was not happy with his playing time this year, despite having an injury. And for some bizarre reason this is very important to you lol.

In the games he sat most of the second half he was likely not on board with that decision.

I'm not saying Fran made the wrong decision, just that CJ didn't like it.

There was a rumor 5 or 6 weeks ago saying essentially this. It turned out to be accurate on the transfer part way before anyone else was talking about it.

That, in my mind lends credence as to the why associated with it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
Serious with what? Your made up straw man scenario?

No definitely not. Are you that dumb?

Im implying that its very possible and even likely that CJ was not happy with his playing time this year, despite having an injury.

In the games he sat most of the second half he was likely not on board with that decision.

I'm not saying Fran made the wrong decision, just that CJ didn't like it.

There was a rumor 5 or 6 weeks ago saying essentially this. It turned out to be accurate on the transfer part way before anyone else was talking about it.

That, in my mind lends credence as to the why associated with it.

A guy unhappy with his playing time at Iowa after starting all 52 games he played and averaged 27 mpg in his FR and SO seasons, with a much larger role in his future, transfers to Kentucky (most likely) because he’s not happy about playing time. Sounds more than reasonable. 😂

If you are optimistic about that lineup you will be optimist by any group of people that show up wearing the jersey.

Who the hell is going to score?

We have never been a great defensive team, you think those guys are suddenly going to be Virginia?
It'll be very, very ugly. I'm just pumped Fran got extended, honestly - It's what the program needed.

• Haha
Reactions: AnyOneButYou
A guy unhappy with his playing time at Iowa after starting all 52 games he played and averaged 27 mpg in his FR and SO seasons, with a much larger role in his future, transfers to Kentucky (most likely) because he’s not happy about playing time. Sounds more than reasonable. 😂
Obviously you're ignoring the specific part about certain games this season and concocting another straw man, but who cares.

Honestly this is a ridiculous discussion for two adults to be having in the first place.

I try to remember who the idiots not worth engaging are but you seem to have slipped my mind.

I need to do better on that.

Obviously you're ignoring the specific part about certain games this season and concocting another straw man, but who cares.

Honestly this is a ridiculous discussion for two adults to be having in the first place.

I try to remember who the idiots not worth engaging are but you seem to have slipped my mind.

Being called an idiot, presumably by a grown man, who doesn’t know how to spell “a lot” is rich to say the least.

Edit: Please specifically list the certain games.

Let me start off saying Kenyon was 1 of my favorite Hawkeye players and I respect his opinion. But he has no dog in this fight - both his sons will potentially benefit from players leaving the program. This is in no way a good development on Iowa basketball. I stand by my opinion that both C-MAC and P-MAC got more minutes than deserved. Neither is better than average athletically and neither has an outside shot or better than average handles. This pretty much shocked me given they're high grade on recruiting websites in high school. Even if they were extremely athletic they have very average handles and no outside shot. There is no way I will be convinced that this has not had a negative impact on current players and recruiting of hs players and portal players for that matter. I am shocked they gave mcCaffery an extension......that is all. I hope Patrick proves me wrong I've seen enough of Conner. Joey t and Perkins/Ulis should have played much more than him.
He has two sons playing for the team, but has no dog in the fight? You don't have children do you?

Reactions: AnyOneButYou

He's on my ignorant list.

Let me start off saying Kenyon was 1 of my favorite Hawkeye players and I respect his opinion. But he has no dog in this fight - both his sons will potentially benefit from players leaving the program. This is in no way a good development on Iowa basketball. I stand by my opinion that both C-MAC and P-MAC got more minutes than deserved. Neither is better than average athletically and neither has an outside shot or better than average handles. This pretty much shocked me given they're high grade on recruiting websites in high school. Even if they were extremely athletic they have very average handles and no outside shot. There is no way I will be convinced that this has not had a negative impact on current players and recruiting of hs players and portal players for that matter. I am shocked they gave mcCaffery an extension......that is all. I hope Patrick proves me wrong I've seen enough of Conner. Joey t and Perkins/Ulis should have played much more than him.
I do think CMAC gets too many minutes but I thought PMAC should get more.

I wonder if this starts to break Fran and his loyal to the players no matter what ethos. Almost every other transfer has made sense during Fran’s tenure. Everyone was either a backup, had a long history of injuries or family issues to deal with, or in Moss’s case was going to be a senior losing minutes to a freshman. Fran seemingly supported every one of them and in some cases helped them find new teams.

CJ was a constant starter from the time he was eligible and only didn’t play because of injury. Fran was also the only major college coach to give CJ a chance and gave him a scholarship earlier than expected. Plus Fran has the long-running relationship to CJ’s family. All of that is thrown out with this transfer, that has to be the kind of thing that hurts deep.
Fran seems like a stand up guy just like Kirk. I respect these kind of coaches/leaders for these athletes. I don't think this will change them - they are who they are and if not reciprocated by players then it is what it is...
Pmac deserved his minutes, he's a baller. I don't know how you can even mention him with Conner. I agree Conner had way too many minutes and especially if he was hurt down the stretch.

Reactions: Ronman and Willin
While he did not fill up the stat sheet, he seemed to really play well in Fran's system. He always seemed to be in the right place. He almost never turned the ball over. Made great decisions. Was a great shooter, though could have been more aggressive. He was a decent defender. I believe he has a high floor and low ceiling and maximizes his limited athleticism. Losing Luka, Nunge, CJ and likely Weezy and JBo really dings our experience and shooting. But it all depends on how some of the younger guys respond. I actually think CJ fits better as a complementary piece on a great team with elite athletes. I dont think his body could hold up as a main weapon, like what was expected at Iowa next year.
You are correct, sir.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
No dog in the fight? Interesting thought process. Need to disagree on that opinion.

He has two dogs in the fight. Know your idioms

Did you see Fran driving Deon's son around campus in this?

185750_Front_3-4_Web.JPG
To be fair, that is a pretty sweet ride!

Iowa will not get any better until Fran faces reality that his son Conner is not starting Big10 guard material.

Patrick on the other hand does have the talent to start.

Iowa will not get any better until Fran faces reality that his son Conner is not starting Big10 guard material.

Patrick on the other hand does have the talent to start.
CMac is gone after next year. Who will the whipping boy be then?

Not sure "shopping around" would be the term I would use.
Valid. And that could also easily be part of why Fran is pissed. He knows kentucky was tampering but also knows how the ncaa operates and wont do a dam thing about it.

Reactions: Ronman
Valid. And that could also easily be part of why Fran is pissed. He knows kentucky was tampering but also knows how the ncaa operates and wont do a dam thing about it.
Tampering is very hard to prove, especially when it involves family members. Look at Auburn football.

Until coaches are permanently banned for breaking rules, they will not change. Cal is crooked as hell but he knows he will not get punished because he games the system.

Reactions: Slim45
A source of mine close to the program has confirmed to me that CJ had no interest in transferring out. Fran was recruiting Deon Thomas’ son behind his back to steal his starting job and CJ found out. Fran blew it.
Whatever. And for the record its the coaches job to constantly upgrade the roster, OR isn't that one of the things people on here are always bitching about? So now Frans a dick for trying to upgrade the roster? If thats the case, ( and I'm skeptical), then CJ needs to grow a pair, and stay and earn his spot by staying on the court for more then half a season......

Reactions: amahawk and Willin
Couple of things. First, I sincerely doubt someone who is supposedly transferring to Kentucky and will compete with 4 and 5 stars for playing time was overly concerned about anyone coming in to take his spot. Secondly, assuming that Fran was trying to make the team better, is that not his job? Isn't this message board full of people wanting him to do just that?
Thank you, Jees........

Couple of things. First, I sincerely doubt someone who is supposedly transferring to Kentucky and will compete with 4 and 5 stars for playing time was overly concerned about anyone coming in to take his spot. Secondly, assuming that Fran was trying to make the team better, is that not his job? Isn't this message board full of people wanting him to do just that?
legit. also, its seems weird and unlikely that anyone related to Deon Thomas would commit to Iowa, no?

yeah, Tom kakert's article on CJ pretty much said Weezy won't be back.

crazy that Connor will be our only returning starter

Yup. While I'm excited about what is likely going to be a better defensive team and a dangerous team in transition, Iowa just lost all four perimeter shooters hitting around 40-percent or more from three (Garza, Weezy, Bohannon, and CJ).

That's going to be impossible to replace next year so the offense is going to look completely different: lots of drives to the hoop, back door cuts, screens to open up lanes to the basket, and so on. The guys who will be shooting 3s will probably be Sandfort, PMac, and Keegan and the latter two need to improve ASAP. Perkins and Ulis showed very little from outside so they probably need to improve significantly. Joe T hasn't been much of a 3-point shooter and that may not change.

its hard to predict what this team will do offensively next year.

"Post feeds," "fundamentally sound," "glue guy," etc. are all euphemisms for a coach's son who isn't very good. The pathetic thing is most coaches' sons can at least shoot better than 60% from the foul line.

I sincerely hope someone convinces Connor to focus on baseball.

Connor has shown in the past that he's pretty decent. He may be a support player and not a scorer, but he clearly can be effective at a Power 5 level when healthy. You could argue about his minutes and position, perhaps, but to belittle the non-sexy stats that really do matter in basketball shows some ignorance. Iowa has had a lot of support players that fans liked who had similar stats, but people with a bone to pick with his last name seem to go out of their way to be mean spirited towards him it seems. It explains why you felt the need to add "coaches son" to your statement when it wasn't necessary. Your bias is evident.

Last year when healthy he was 3rd on the team in Win Shares, 4th in Box Plus Minus, and 3rd in Points Produced, all for a Top 25 Power 5 team. That's the opposite of "not very good". He also led the country in Assist to Turnover ratio.

Reactions: EBL#7 and BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT