ADVERTISEMENT

Fran's team is playing defense...

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
So, I'm not saying this is Nolan Richardson's 40 minutes of hell....I'm not saying we're there....but the fact is that Fran can coach defense and this team has done a good job for two games in a row against good competition. Believe me, I've been really frustrated with a piss poor effort on defense for too long, but he can coach defense.....now, we have to do that consistently.

We've started to rebound...it was a weakness early. Again, I'm not saying we can just show up and win that battle, in fact it's going to be a battle every game for us to do well.

Bottom line, FRAN and the players deserve credit. Fran has developed this team. He has made the moves and obviously worked in practice to do what they need to do.

So, I'm not saying this is Nolan Richardson's 40 minutes of hell....I'm not saying we're there....but the fact is that Fran can coach defense and this team has done a good job for two games in a row against good competition. Believe me, I've been really frustrated with a piss poor effort on defense for too long, but he can coach defense.....now, we have to do that consistently.

We've started to rebound...it was a weakness early. Again, I'm not saying we can just show up and win that battle, in fact it's going to be a battle every game for us to do well.

Bottom line, FRAN and the players deserve credit. Fran has developed this team. He has made the moves and obviously worked in practice to do what they need to do.
What's Iowa now? 13-0 when they win the rebound battle? Defense and rebounding have been outstanding the last 2 games. If that continues and Keegan keeps playing like a man possessed this team has a great shot at making a deeper run in the BTT and the NCAA''s.

I agree, and that’s weird to type. I’ve been really impressed with JBo’s efforts lately, it does seem like everyone is playing with more defense emphasis. Fran is much better than some will admit.

JBO is playing harder on defense than he has at any previous year and the entire team is a lot more athletic.

CMAC since Penn State has been making his 3's at a good clip. The guy is the most versatile/toughest defender among all the guards---the issue all along has been his ineffective 3pt shooting. As long as he can keep making his 3's at a competitive clip, no problem with him playing is 15-20 min and him being the enforcer.

Absolutely. I've been screaming for years "Just imagine some defense to go along with that offense" and these are the results.
Just the opposite with football, but so far KF has mostly refused to do anything to fix the obvious weakness of his "offensive" scheme, which is why many of us keep saying, "Just imagine some offense to go along with that defense." We'd love to see those results.

Basketball is giving us a glimpse of the success a team can have by being great on one side of the ball and good--not great--on the other side. I didn't think Fran would ever have a decent defensive team, but here we are, and it's a heckuva lot of fun.

Reactions: Ronman
JBO is playing harder on defense than he has at any previous year and the entire team is a lot more athletic.

CMAC since Penn State has been making his 3's at a good clip. The guy is the most versatile/toughest defender among all the guards---the issue all along has been his ineffective 3pt shooting. As long as he can keep making his 3's at a competitive clip, no problem with him playing is 15-20 min and him being the enforcer.
Connor seemed totally healthy til last night and they know Keegan will get them points whenever a score is needed.

We saw this last year, where this team had a 8-game stretch near the end of the season where the defense was outstanding and they shot up higher than they are now in Adjusted Defensive efficiency in Pomeroy's rankings. Then the NCAA tournament happened where Iowa gave up 74 points in 63 possessions to a 15 seed and then 95 points on 75 possessions to Oregon.

If the effort stays consistent, the defensive improvement is going to stick.

100% agree with this. And he’s always cheering guys, directing people, standing up for his mates… his interview with his mom on his podcastmade me feel for the whole family.

100% agree with this. And he’s always cheering guys, directing people, standing up for his mates… his interview with his mom on his podcastmade me feel for the whole family.
Lol yeah. I feel for those multi millionaires having to deal with mean tweets 😂

Reactions: FWIW4922463
When will people learn that social media is voluntary? You don’t have to go to Twitter or Facebook to read insulting comments.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I agree and was going to post asking what has happened to see this kind of defensive improvement. Fran's teams have always been able to score, but the defense has been really good the last couple of weeks. As a member of your rival fanbase I have always respected many of your players but it was pretty easy to hate on JBo and point out his lack of D. Not saying he is suddenly a lock down defender, but the team as a whole and especially JBo has really stepped up their defense. Not sure what the reason is, seems it must just be mental, kind of a team psychology to give more effort or something like that. I mean certainly it can't be they just learned to play D in the last couple weeks, but it has been pretty impressive. Also Rebracca for being undersized has been really good rebounding lately. Anyway for a casual observer of your team the turn-around in defense and defensive effort has been impressive.

When will people learn that social media is voluntary? You don’t have to go to Twitter or Facebook to read insulting comments.

toon-1168.gif

ADVERTISEMENT