ADVERTISEMENT

Fred Barr needs your help

Yeah..we've tried to push it. It's falling on deaf ears with certain people who write articles. I guess Dace's story was better

Fred Barr can’t help himself. He’ll be walking through the mall or sitting in a restaurant and see someone wearing Iowa State gear. He’ll hit them with a “Go Hawks!”

It’s not vicious but it’s pure. The sight of anything Cyclone sets him off.

“I do not like anything about them,” he said.

Barr made a name for himself as a member of coach Kirk Ferent’s first recruiting class at Iowa. He also drew attention as a person who spoke his mind, which included saying he hated Iowa State the week of the Cy-Hawk game. A decade and a half later, not much has changed in that regard.

The Florida native has mostly lived in the state since he arrived on Iowa’s campus in 1999. He fell in love with the place and admits that even the Cyclone fans are good folks.

“I stayed out here because really the people are beautiful compared to any other place I’ve ever been to. It’s all about who you are as a person. I appreciate that because it’s genuine. They don’t base their opinion of you on material things or money or what can you do for them. And they’re so helpful,” he said.

Last edited:
Does it ever improve? I just can't imagine it.

Seems like there is hope if he can weather the storm and get the right treatments.

Although trigeminal neuralgia cannot always be cured, there are treatments available to alleviate the debilitating pain. Normally, anticonvulsive medications are the first treatment choice.

In most people, trigeminal neuralgia improves with treatment or goes into remission on its own. However, recurrences do occur, often after a long pain-free period. Also, as with any ongoing painful condition, depression may occur, but there are treatments for depression that can help.Nov 14, 2018

Last edited:
This may have been posted before but perhaps you missed it like I did. It appears Fred is having some health issues which gives him a great deal of pain.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/frederic...gn=p_cp_url&utm_medium=os&utm_source=customer
This is, in my opinion, something the University should help with. Beyond the current debate of paying players, these athletes provide millions for the university annually. The one's that leave with a their degree wrapped up with devastating medical issues related to football, need to be taken care of. It seems as though they are just discarded, much like NFL players used to be. College football needs to do the right thing and take care of the people who are creating all the wealth.

ADVERTISEMENT