ADVERTISEMENT

Fredrick/Covington, Kentucky Stamp Champs

hawkquiz

HR All-State
Jan 27, 2007
They just took down #1 Scott County in the state finals, 73-55.

Fredrick had a nice championship game! 32 points in 31 minutes. Shot 9-15, 3 pt 4-6, 10-11 from the line. 3 Assists, 0 turnovers.

For the state tourney he had games of 26, 32, 22 and 32.

I will definitely give the benefit of the doubt that this kid can play and will help us.

Fredrick had a nice championship game! 32 points in 31 minutes. Shot 9-15, 3 pt 4-6, 10-11 from the line. 3 Assists, 0 turnovers.

I will definitely give the benefit of the doubt that this kid can play and will help us.
I love it! CJ has been the forgotten man, in talk about the next couple of seasons. Hopefully adding 3 guards to the roster (including McCaffery who only played in 4 games) will correct a lot of the ills we saw this season.

I love it! CJ has been the forgotten man, in talk about the next couple of seasons. Hopefully adding 3 guards to the roster (including McCaffery who only played in 4 games) will correct a lot of the ills we saw this season.

Is Weiskamp a guard? Honest question, I had read he's a small forward.

He's a swingman but I think he's a lot like former Boilermaker Robbie Hummel

‘Stamp’ champs! 32 points for the 2-headed George Washington!

I’m thinking CJ hit a lot of big shots under pressure in the state touney, being his team’s leading scorer. Can always use another one of those guys.

3ast/0 TOs in a pressure game we could have used this year regardless of what position he plays.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
From a recent article at Hawkeyesports.com:
"Joe fits in anywhere," McCaffery said. "He's a good rebounder and a good shooter. He can pass it and handle it. He can play anywhere from point guard to power forward. He defends. He has always played well in the clutch."

I think of him in a role like Gatens or Jok. I really believe he'll be equally comfortable as a 2G or SF.

Congrats to CJ; can't wait to watch you in Prime Time and at Carver. Adding another 80 + FT shooter along with Weiskamp and Connor. Not to mention Bohannon and Moss. MSU could have used any of them today.

Thought I might the find the game available on You Tube, but only this short clip, which features a # of Frederick shots. #44 is a big kid. Wonder where he is going--have to think he is a D-1 prospect.

"Joe fits in anywhere," McCaffery said. "He's a good rebounder and a good shooter. He can pass it and handle it. He can play anywhere from point guard to power forward. He defends. He has always played well in the clutch."

I think of him in a role like Gatens or Jok. I really believe he'll be equally comfortable as a 2G or SF.
Ya, we should take frans word on where a guy should play. Like pemsl at the 3 before his freshman year, and baer and nunge playing the 3. His credibility has gone out the door on his whole "he can handle the ball and play anywhere."

Ya, we should take frans word on where a guy should play. Like pemsl at the 3 before his freshman year, and baer and nunge playing the 3. His credibility has gone out the door on his whole "he can handle the ball and play anywhere."
You can judge for yourself. There are plenty of highlights and games available on youtube. Fran tends to be generous in his praise of incoming players, but based on his rankings (Top 50) you can probably assume he's pretty well rounded as a player.

Reminds me of a slightly shorter Jake Kelly. I was extremely disappointed when Jake left after his sophomore season and went to Indiana St. I believe the last home game Jake played for Iowa was a double overtime game against Penn St and scored somewhere around 30 points. Won the game single handed.

The thing I liked about CJ was it seems he would catch the ball or while driving, he squared up and went straight up for the shot. Seems like the hawks have a lot of guys that can hit shots if they square up, but so many times they are still moving forward or their body is at a slight angle. I never played but this seems like a big deal when looking for a consistent shot.

Based on that video and a couple of other brief snippets (with the usual qualifier those are very limited data points), he looks like he can take the ball to the rack and has a nice pull up mid-range jumper.

He seems more well rounded than Ogelsby and Ellingson as some like to categorize him as. You don't get offers from Xavier, IN, and PSU (if memory serves) without having serious talent.

I'm getting more excited about Fredrick the more I see.

Now go get lightening quick guard Fran for next season and we might have something going next year!

Reminds me of a slightly shorter Jake Kelly. I was extremely disappointed when Jake left after his sophomore season and went to Indiana St. I believe the last home game Jake played for Iowa was a double overtime game against Penn St and scored somewhere around 30 points. Won the game single handed.
Good comparison, hope it's right. JK was good, would have been a great PG last season.

Based on that video and a couple of other brief snippets (with the usual qualifier those are very limited data points), he looks like he can take the ball to the rack and has a nice pull up mid-range jumper.

He seems more well rounded than Ogelsby and Ellingson as some like to categorize him as. You don't get offers from Xavier, IN, and PSU (if memory serves) without having serious talent.

Now go get lightening quick guard Fran for next season and we might have something going next year!

Has skills. But agree that it is difficult to tell much from high school competition. How will he fare when guarded by guys who are as quick/quicker than he is and just taller? Can he guard anyone? Those are the things we won't know until he plays. His uncle was a very good player for Notre Dame, his bloodlines are good. Looking forward to seeing him play.

Reactions: kceasthawk

I think Joe will be very good, but I dont want to hear anything Fran has to say about positions.

According to him every player he recruits can play every position and do everything, including play defense.

Frederick is definitely more than just a shooter. I still want someone with great on-ball defensive skills, but Frederick, Joe W, and Connor should give us more players who can handle the ball. Freshmen usually aren't great defenders, but Joe W will definitely be more suited to play D at 3 than Nunge, who needs to be moved to his natural position as a stretch 4 and interior defender.

Last edited:

You can judge for yourself. There are plenty of highlights and games available on youtube. Fran tends to be generous in his praise of incoming players, but based on his rankings (Top 50) you can probably assume he's pretty well rounded as a player.
I've seen him play. Top 50? What??? This is a cj fredrick thread. Reading is hard for you?

I was at that game, what a show.

I've seen him play. Top 50? What??? This is a cj fredrick thread. Reading is hard for you?
I didn't intend to hijack the thread when I mentioned Wieskamp, and McCaffery, but the question came up if Joe's a guard. You commented on Fran's remarks about Wieskamp.

I guess you haven't been around very long if you didn't realize that in the off season threads rarely stay on subject.

I didn't intend to hijack the thread when I mentioned Wieskamp, and McCaffery, but the question came up if Joe's a guard. You commented on Fran's remarks about Wieskamp.

I guess you haven't been around very long if you didn't realize that in the off season threads rarely stay on subject.
My post that you replied to had nothing to do with joe weiskamp and everything to do with fran being clueless.

Nice clips of CJ, and he has some bloodlines, so excited to see what he can add. Still washing out my eyes though after the adults with their shirts off at the end of that clip! They could have cut that part out for my taste.......:eek:

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Fran is a "combo" guard guy. In the old days, before players were pigeonholed, guards were expected to shoot and handle the ball, find open shooters.

Fran is a "combo" guard guy. In the old days, before players were pigeonholed, guards were expected to shoot and handle the ball, find open shooters.

Id say guard positions are far less defined now than ever.

The problem with Frans so call "combo" guards is that they dont have a combo of skills and they play like old school shooting guards.

They can knock down shots when open but cant go anywhere with the dribble.

Everbody else, even the mid majors, have multiple guys that can attack the rim off the dribble.

Our best guy off the dribble is Cook, who ideally shouldn't even be handling the ball.

Reactions: Pat_Pendleton

They may list him as a forward but he is definitely guardish... Plays a lot on the outside, has great handles. With Joe, JBo and Moss/Dailey I would consider that a three guard lineup. Or the rough equivalent... Especially with the forward talent we have on the roster.

Weiskamp has handles. He didn't hit an outside shot in the game against IC West and still scored 29 by getting to the rim while being guarded by 2 and 3 guys. It was hard to tell how quick he was because he is a smooth runner but he definitely turned on the burners at times.

Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT