ADVERTISEMENT

Freeman, Harding, & Sandfort

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
We have been so focused on Estrella and Power, that we have not talked about these three enough. Very excited about this trio. Freeman is good inside and out, runs the floor really well and is tough around the basket. Harding is always in control, lightening quick, a great penetrator and shoots well from the perimeter. Sandfort is an elite shooter, can drive the basket or take the three. They all will fit Fran's style of play very well.

I think any additions to this class after these three is icing on the cake.

Koch has next year's class off to a great start.

We have been so focused on Estrella and Power, that we have not talked about these three enough. Very excited about this trio. Freeman is good inside and out, runs the floor really well and is tough around the basket. Harding is always in control, lightening quick, a great penetrator and shoots well from the perimeter. Sandfort is an elite shooter, can drive the basket or take the three. They all will fit Fran's style of play very well.

Agreed.....I do think that Sandfort is maybe an exceptional level player who's recruitment was just weird as most teams didn't show interest knowing that his brother was a Hawkeye.......as it drug on, some of them decided to show some interest since he hadn't committed. Then about the time he did commit, other schools were showing interest. He could be very good.

I think Harding is also an under rated player because he isn't very big for a guard.....that said he is very quick, has very good handles, and has shown great improvement in his shooting ability. Add all that together with being a good passer/assist man and it appears he will be a significant contributor to the Hawks efforts.

Freeman, my gut says that he is/will be clearly better than any of the post players we currently have on the roster. He is aggressive and pretty agile for a big guy.....he also seems to be fairly physical. I think Fran's ability to bring out the best in guys like him will turn him into a very good front court player for us.

I don't see any misses in this class......really good additions to the roster. Just my best non expert/Joe fan thoughts.

Last edited:
I agree that these are already three very good additions, but Power would make this an almost complete outstanding lineup. I saw Estella and Freeman as very similar, but Power seems to bring a broader skill set that makes everyone else on the court better. Adding Power would make this easily Fran's best recruiting class coming in IMO. You are never sure how that translates on to the court.

I agree that these are already three very good additions, but Power would make this an almost complete outstanding lineup. I saw Estella and Freeman as very similar, but Power seems to bring a broader skill set that makes everyone else on the court better. Adding Power would make this easily Fran's best recruiting class coming in IMO. You are never sure how that translates on to the court.
images

Reactions: NevadaHawk
He is a Dukie so move on to other options. Yes he would have raised this classes ranking but unfortunately it wasn't in the cards

Reactions: perryhawk
Great base to the class. Clearly needed a diamond to set us apart but it didn't happen again. Strongly feel this will be a very good class with these guys and maybe one more.

Great base to the class. Clearly needed a diamond to set us apart but it didn't happen again. Strongly feel this will be a very good class with these guys and maybe one more.

Fran got his PG last year in Dasonte Bowen.

He got Owen over home state Illinois, Michigan State, Purdue and many others. Brock Harding will be a steal of this class. Pryce will be a key contributor as well.

We have a lot of nice pieces. However, if we had landed 5 star, top 25 prospect TJ Power, that would have been a game changer. Sweet 16 or more game changer.

Now we are looking at back up plans, one of which is Kachi Nzeh, who has only been playing basketball for 2 years. I found an article written by Jack McCaffery where he wrote that Kachi was more interested in track and played just a little basketball when he was a sophomore in HS.

So, unfortunately, Nzeh looks to be more of a project where TJ Power appears to be a 2 and done star (like Keegan).

Reactions: cleotishaywood
The PF from Indianapolis that committed to Vanderbilt would have been a nice addition to this class…..something weird with that recruitment.

The PF from Indianapolis that committed to Vanderbilt would have been a nice addition to this class…..something weird with that recruitment.
Couldn't agree more perry. I feel like that's one we'll look back on and regret we didn't push harder for. JQ is like Nzeh, in that he's an athletic freak but maybe less of a project.

Regardless, I agree with other's sentiments that I like the pieces we have committed. We'll see who we get for that 4th piece as it seems like we're really trying to fill the class. An interesting tidbit that may not necessarily mean anything: Sherm followed this '23 prospect on Twitter today following his de-commitment from Loyola

He has a twin brother who is also committed to Loyola, so it'll be interesting to see if they do go to separate schools. 6'8 with a 7' wingspan. Coaches follow prospects on Twitter all the time, so it may not lead to anything. But I just found it curious that Iowa followed him the same day he decommitted.

Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT