ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman Strategy Regarding the Redshirt

What strategy would you use for the top twelve or so incoming freshman?

• A. No special strategy, play them according to the depth chart. Next man in.

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • B. Divide them into three groups, play each group in four predetermined games.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C. Save them for the season's 2nd half, using them for Wis, Minn, Neb, and a post-season game.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • D. Play them in an early game, and for those who produce, burn the shirt.

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • E. Other

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

87alum87

All-Conference
Aug 28, 2009
Dahinda, IL
I thought KF did a good job of utilizing freshman last year according to the new redshirt rule. None of them were really high impact players. Brents and Moss were probably the most important.

I thought the staff did an excellent job last year. Lots of guys got to dip their toe but nobody burned a redshirt that wasn't needed or in line to start this year.

For as slow to adapt as KF seems to be they sure seemed to have a plan in place right away last year.

I think the issue here is two-fold .... firstly, the player needs to prove that they're ready. Being ready implies that they've demonstrated that they can be reliable when called upon ... and it also tends to indicate a certain level of maturity in how they approach things. Secondly, the coaches need to be able to find opportunities to put them in situations where they can be successful (or where it won't endanger the outcome of the game).

Thus, for some guys, they demonstrate that they're ready right away ... then they can dip their toes in right away and play against some of our lesser OOC foes. The advantage of allowing some guys to play early is that if they demonstrate enough productivity ... then that allows you to make the determination on whether they even need to take a redshirt year. (some guys may simply be "too good" ... and the redshirt gets burned ... ideally for those guys, you want them to see the field early and often)

For other guys, maybe they need to physically develop a little more ... or maybe they need to grow a little bit more comfortable with their surroundings and the schemes, etc. Ultimately, players shouldn't just be given some playing time ... they ought to earn it. It's possible that some guys might earn that opportunity later in the season ... in which case ... they can still help the team later in the season.

Thus, to me, it's one of those issues where it all depends on the player and what they demonstrate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT