ADVERTISEMENT

Fresno state

Good stuff. Someone was briefly cutting onions in here when I read about the former coach crying.

Did I read correctly that Fresno State had 6800 people for their dual with Illinois? That is great if true. Grow the sport. It looks like they got stomped, but at least the fans showed up.
6,840 was the attendance, yes. In short, slightly more than what would've been a sellout in Rec Hall.

Match was closer than the score indicated. 149 (major) and 157 were victories over fringe-ranked opponents. Hokit actually got a takedown on Imar and otherwise got in on a couple of good shots early before Imar's pace ground him down. 174 was also tight until the Bulldog got horsed over and stuck. Yes, Illinois was clearly the better team last night, but a team full of virtually nothing but freshmen held their own.

For what it's worth, my article can be found at https://wrestlingbypirate.wordpress.com/2017/11/18/the-rebirth/ .

This is what I love about wrestling. This is great! I'm missing watching the good teams come to CA. Last thing I saw was when Minny came to CSUF. Fullerton has no team anymore. The state of CA has more HS wrestlers than any other. I don't think Iowa has been out here recently.

Did I read correctly that Fresno State had 6800 people for their dual with Illinois? That is great if true. Grow the sport. It looks like they got stomped, but at least the fans showed up.

The San Joaquin Valley is a hotbed for high school wrestling. When Fresno State suspended the program, there was an enormous amount of outrage. The attendence #s are true and hopefully they can keep it up. I have the OSU match circled on my calendar to get to. Btw, thanks to Iowa for providing an awesome coach for Fresno State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT