ADVERTISEMENT

Friday night's game replay linked here

Hey!!! Post of the day. Some folks who couldn't watch can get a load of Nunge the Ice King, Garza the Giant Dire Wolf Puppy, and Connor no nickname.

Reactions: perryhawk
Yes, thank you. Appreciate the link.

Obviously, you can't put too much stock into exhibition games, but a lot of positives nonetheless. This might be the first time under Fran that Iowa has a legitimate scoring threat in the post. I really like Garza's game. He kind of reminds me of Kevin McHale. Jack Nunge also has the potential to be really good. He reminds me a little of Keith Van Horn. (Btw, I'm talking style of play with these player comparisons.) The older guys you pretty much got out of them what'd you expect (and I mean that in a positive sense). FWIW, I really think Wagner is under appreciated.

I'm sure part of it is effort due to it being an exhibition game (and still needing to shake off the bad habits developed in summer league games), but the defense was obviously bad the entire evening. The main concern is how much these guys get beat off the dribble. And it's not just the front court players; the guards are getting beat as well. It's hard to know if the issue is foot speed, effort, or both, but it definitely raises concerns. If Iowa wants to improve upon last year's results, they got to get better at moving their feet. Oh, and picking up guys on transition defense. That's still a glaring weakness.

Overall, this should be a fun team to watch. I really like what Fran is doing and building for the future.

Yes, thank you. Appreciate the link.

Obviously, you can't put too much stock into exhibition games, but a lot of positives nonetheless. This might be the first time under Fran that Iowa has a legitimate scoring threat in the post. I really like Garza's game. He kind of reminds me of Kevin McHale. Jack Nunge also has the potential to be really good. He reminds me a little of Keith Van Horn. (Btw, I'm talking style of play with these player comparisons.) The older guys you pretty much got out of them what'd you expect (and I mean that in a positive sense). FWIW, I really think Wagner is under appreciated.

I'm sure part of it is effort due to it being an exhibition game (and still needing to shake off the bad habits developed in summer league games), but the defense was obviously bad the entire evening. The main concern is how much these guys get beat off the dribble. And it's not just the front court players; the guards are getting beat as well. It's hard to know if the issue is foot speed, effort, or both, but it definitely raises concerns. If Iowa wants to improve upon last year's results, they got to get better at moving their feet. Oh, and picking up guys on transition defense. That's still a glaring weakness.

Overall, this should be a fun team to watch. I really like what Fran is doing and building for the future.
What was the final on MSU and Ferris ST?. MSU was behind in the first half, though I know nothing about Ferris St., what division they are etc. Just asking this because thinking a similar situation.

Thank you.

The first basket of the season was a Bohannon putback. In other news, hell has frozen over.

Defense - I was only satisfied with Ahmad from this game. He shut down every guy who came his way. Everyone else made at least 1 mistake. This is not to say there wasn't some improvement, but more is needed.

Offense - Nothing bothered me here. We did a good job of getting all our forwards involved in the post. I don't feel like any of them were stuck on the perimeter all game. The forwards also connected quite often. Bohannon was pretty good at probing the defense and made his one floater. Moss had a poor day scoring wise, but he looked explosive and dynamic. Just a bit unlucky yesterday.

Freshmen - They lead the team in rebounding because they play big. They kept their arms extended consistently to get the ball. It sounds easy, but forwards can't play small in the B1G. They're also composed. When someone got up into them, they calmly went through their options and made good plays. They did this both inside and out.

Who did the play by play for this game? I really liked them! It is so nice when they talk about the teams on the court and not their personal favorites.

Just watched the replay.
1) Baer's illness and Moss' minor injury colored this game from the outset. This becomes a rout much earlier without these 2 factors.

2) But Nunge is a stud. He will play and could start. He could have the most pro potential on the team.

3) If Connor is the only backup PG played in an exhibition, he's going to play this season. I just have a hard time believing that a head coach would not use exhibition games to develop backup at such a key position.

4) Worried about guard quickness. But something surprised me in the last minute of this game. Maishe Dailey with a quick post pass, nice-looking corner shot, and a transition assist leading the break all in about 30 seconds. Will be interested to see him get enough minutes to show how his quickness, which has gotten better with the extra strength, will translate to defense. He could be a darkhorse for some bigger minutes.

5) Garza is what I expected after the summer. He's the starting center. But we've got SERIOUS depth up front.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Really like this team. I actually think they will improve offensively without Jok. They seem to move the ball much better without him, and everyone is looking for an opportunity to score instead deferring to him. Strange to say that the offense can improve without the leading scorer in the B1G, but that's my thought.

So many talented guys on this team! Much less anxiety over a guy with foul trouble, or an injury. Fran has dozens of combinations he can put on the floor. Hope he gets it all sorted out by January (or sooner please).

Yes, thank you for the link! Yup, defense needs work, of course, no one in the B1G will be running 5 guard offenses out there. Anyway, good to see the young big men get their chance, indeed, first time under Fran to really seem to have inside scoring threat. Good times ahead I think. Go Hawks!!!

Sedge

Yes, thank you for the link! Yup, defense needs work, of course, no one in the B1G will be running 5 guard offenses out there. Anyway, good to see the young big men get their chance, indeed, first time under Fran to really seem to have inside scoring threat. Good times ahead I think. Go Hawks!!!

Sedge
Agreed.

ADVERTISEMENT