ADVERTISEMENT

Frigidaire "Air Fry" setting experiments....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
So, the old range here at Tradition Manor basically developed an electrical fire, so we threw that to the curb.

The new range has an "air fry" setting and I've been playing with it.

Chicken Wings: 35 minutes at 375 made for some awesome wings. I thought I wouldn't have to flip them as I was cooking them on a rack and theoretically, the hot blowing air would get them crispy all around, but the dripping fat defeats that so you still need to flip about 2/3rds of the way through the cook to get them crispy.

Fried Green Beans: OMG! This is PERFECT! The first time I tried them at 425 per a recipe I was using, but that was way too hot. 375 was perfect. Flour, egg bath, and Panko.... BAM! Fanfreakingtastic! Much better than losing all your breading in a big pot of oil.

Pro tip: The food needs to be placed on an open rack so air can flow all around it. Put a sheet pan with some parchment paper on a rack a couple of levels below the food to catch the drips. Much less smoke that way.

So, the old range here at Tradition Manor basically developed an electrical fire, so we threw that to the curb.
Trad Manor sounds like a dump.

"Air Fry" is simply a marketing term for "convection oven".

I got a small convection countertop one for doing convection stuff, that doesn't heat my whole house up in the summer. And it gets to temperature 15 min faster than my regular range, which means food is done before the full size oven would even be ready to bake.

Convection ovens are nice, but I wouldn't waste my money on a "range size" one, unless I needed that much oven space for parties, etc. If you have a decent sized kitchen, then a counter accessory is a way better option, IMO. And with 2 trays, it can do about the same oven payload as a single tray layer in a full sized oven.

Reactions: Moral
Trad Manor sounds like a dump.

"Air Fry" is simply a marketing term for "convection oven".

I got a small convection countertop one for doing convection stuff, that doesn't heat my whole house up in the summer. And it gets to temperature 15 min faster than my regular range, which means food is done before the full size oven would even be ready to bake.

Convection ovens are nice, but I wouldn't waste my money on a "range size" one, unless I needed that much oven space for parties, etc. If you have a decent sized kitchen, then a counter accessory is a way better option, IMO. And with 2 trays, it can do about the same oven payload as a single tray layer in a full sized oven.

On the air fry setting, it's up to temp in five minutes. It's doing something more than the "convection" setting does.

I would prefer to NOT have any additional kitchen countertop gadgets.

And I didn't waste the heat because once the wings and beans were done, I switched to bake and put a pie in there.

Worked great, Mr. Negative.

And I didn't waste the heat because once the wings and beans were done, I switched to bake and put a pie in there.

You're still "wasting" lots of heat running a full sized oven for a few wings and a pie.
Both of which I can do in my Delonghi that heats up in ~2 min.

Every watt you generate in a large oven in summer inside your house requires about 2W in A/C work to clear it back out of the house. Which is why a small countertop appliance is easily 10x more efficient to run in summer, probably more like 20x. I run my big oven in fall/winter/spring when it helps warm the house up (and I cannot fit stuff into the small one). Rarely use the big oven in summertime at all. I run the grill then.

You're still "wasting" lots of heat running a full sized oven for a few wings and a pie.
Both of which I can do in my Delonghi that heats up in ~2 min.

Every watt you generate in a large oven in summer inside your house requires about 2W in A/C work to clear it back out of the house. Which is why a small countertop appliance is easily 10x more efficient to run in summer, probably more like 20x. I run my big oven in fall/winter/spring when it helps warm the house up (and I cannot fit stuff into the small one). Rarely use the big oven in summertime at all. I run the grill then.

You cook pies in a toaster oven? LOL, get real, dude.

ADVERTISEMENT