ADVERTISEMENT

From a parent

hawkaeg80

HR MVP
Dec 28, 2014
Cedar Rapids

Angie Ayala

As a mother, you send your child to college broken-hearted but excited for your child to show the world how amazing they are. 18 years old and out in the real world. Not expecting red shirt to be pulled. Not expecting an injury in one of the first matches you wrestle. There are so many things athletes, doctors, coaches, and parents are only privileged to know. I am so thankful these coaches have my child’s best interest. I’m sure it wasn’t an easy decision. They of course want to win. I do know that my kid along with all of the other athletes gives their life to the sport. The negative comments I’m sure are from people that have no idea how hard it is. I’m proud to be a part of this team. Go Hawks!

With this in mind, everybody should just stop their bitching and complaining! I find it incredible we have to read something from a parent defending the coaching/training staff and their son. If you read this and have any disagreements you should never consider yourself as a true Hawkeye wrestling fan. I understand the disappointment, but, if things were different this team would have won another Big Ten title and be 3 Time National Champs. Injuries happen and disappointment builds. But don't you ever question the staff concerning the well-being of their athletes. NEVER!

I had a couple of these guys she is talking about sitting behind me. First time in over 20 years of going to wrestling events that I have ever turned around to say something to another fan. When you get personal, it just crosses the line. Listened to these two idiots spew stupidity all weekend. They were both clueless about most of what was coming out of their mouths, but seemed to justify each other’s stupidity so they just kept at it. We had a former 2 time national champ and several of the younger wrestlers sitting just in front of us. Trust me, they could hear it if I could. Why do people like this waste the time and money to be so miserable at a wrestling event?

I have to admit that I end up laughing at all the complaining that occurs on this forum. My son is no where near the elite level of some of these Hawks and what he does and gives for the sport is beyond the imagination or ability of 99% of the college students and fans. It has been a long time since I criticized the commitment, heart, or dedication of a D1 wrestler and especially one that wrestles for the Hawks. When you see what the average D1 wrestler goes thru - it is humbling to imagine what the elite ones go thru.

Y'all want to sit here and pass judgement on the team, coaches, whoever (been guilty of it myself) just remember there's someone out there who might have a bit more invested than you...and they have the right to be keyboard warriors too.

While some may cringe at a mom posting (like it's some great crime) there has been plenty posted here and said in Lincoln over the weekend far worse than what was posted in the OP.

Angie Ayala

As a mother, you send your child to college broken-hearted but excited for your child to show the world how amazing they are. 18 years old and out in the real world. Not expecting red shirt to be pulled. Not expecting an injury in one of the first matches you wrestle. There are so many things athletes, doctors, coaches, and parents are only privileged to know. I am so thankful these coaches have my child’s best interest. I’m sure it wasn’t an easy decision. They of course want to win. I do know that my kid along with all of the other athletes gives their life to the sport. The negative comments I’m sure are from people that have no idea how hard it is. I’m proud to be a part of this team. Go Hawks!

With this in mind, everybody should just stop their bitching and complaining! I find it incredible we have to read something from a parent defending the coaching/training staff and their son. If you read this and have any disagreements you should never consider yourself as a true Hawkeye wrestling fan. I understand the disappointment, but, if things were different this team would have won another Big Ten title and be 3 Time National Champs. Injuries happen and disappointment builds. But don't you ever question the staff concerning the well-being of their athletes. NEVER!

People are such self entitled, hammer headed bags of douche. No one should have to say this, but unfortunately that's not the case and someone actually had to. I've been pounding this for years--people are too close minded, think they have all the available information, pass judgement, freak out, and get angry with anyone who dares question them.

Thanks for posting.

Angie Ayala

Well said Mom!!!!.........sometimes there is a whole lot of Stupid on this board.

My Mom (RIP in peace) used to say " If you can't say anything nice about someone don't say anything at all" and "treat others how you want to be treated."

It seems like we've gotten away from that, or maybe it seems that way because I am old.

I had a couple of these guys she is talking about sitting behind me. First time in over 20 years of going to wrestling events that I have ever turned around to say something to another fan. When you get personal, it just crosses the line. Listened to these two idiots spew stupidity all weekend. They were both clueless about most of what was coming out of their mouths, but seemed to justify each other’s stupidity so they just kept at it. We had a former 2 time national champ and several of the younger wrestlers sitting just in front of us. Trust me, they could hear it if I could. Why do people like this waste the time and money to be so miserable at a wrestling event?
We dealt with the same directly behind us for all of about 20 minutes in the semi round. You can tell these idiots aren’t used to being called on their stupidity or prickness. Grown ass men in their 50’s/60’s Nebraska “fans” also. Cheering against Iowa while not even knowing Nebraska kids were on other mats… They end up agreeing to just cheer for their team and we’d cheer for ours. Absolute low life pukes.

Made Chad Reds tournament, Kaleb vs Robb, and Gomez vs Lovett a lot more f*n though!

Does anyone think the Hawk wrestlers that MFF wanted to MFF. It was a coaches decision looking ahead to NCAAs. I bet Cass did not want to avoid Gable, but fans would be screaming why if he would have gone out and totally blew his knee out in the championship match. Heal up Hawkeyes and go win NCAAs.

Y'all want to sit here and pass judgement on the team, coaches, whoever (been guilty of it myself) just remember there's someone out there who might have a bit more invested than you...and they have the right to be keyboard warriors too.

While some may cringe at a mom posting (like it's some great crime) there has been plenty posted here and said in Lincoln over the weekend far worse than what was posted in the OP.
LOL.

I'm not passing judgement on any wrestler, team, or coach. Quite the contrary. I thought our guys did great this year under their circumstances.

The barf is for the facebook rant. There are gonna be huge assholes at every single event from pee wee to team worlds. She's free to rant about it on fartbook and I'm free to say barf. As you said facebook posting is cringey as all get out, just like Deuce Hogan's mom going on facebook and airing dirty laundry.

LOL.

I'm not passing judgement on any wrestler, team, or coach. Quite the contrary. I thought our guys did great this year under their circumstances.

The barf is for the facebook rant. There are gonna be huge assholes at every single event from pee wee to team worlds. She's free to rant about it on fartbook and I'm free to say barf. As you said facebook posting is cringey as all get out, just like Deuce Hogan's mom going on facebook and airing dirty laundry.
I think this applies again.
🖕

LOL.

You consider that a “rant”? Really??

Reactions: pumpdog20
Sooo, it is bad to make it personal if it is about a Hawkeye but it is ok if it is about an opponent?

Angie Ayala

Mrs. Ayala:

I 100% agree with you! My son was WELL taken care of back in the day when he competed for the Hawkeyes. The Brands were assistants then and I am sure the entire staff now (as back then) have the wrestlers' best interests in mind. No question about it.

Angie Ayala

Well said Angie. Unfortunately though, there is a small group on this forum that makes the rest of us look bad.

Webster County Strong Angie. 💪

I have to admit that I end up laughing at all the complaining that occurs on this forum. My son is no where near the elite level of some of these Hawks and what he does and gives for the sport is beyond the imagination or ability of 99% of the college students and fans. It has been a long time since I criticized the commitment, heart, or dedication of a D1 wrestler and especially one that wrestles for the Hawks. When you see what the average D1 wrestler goes thru - it is humbling to imagine what the elite ones go thru.
I stopped laughing years ago.

Z

Reactions: tomahawk21

Angie Ayala

I’m sorry for the snarky fans, Mrs Ayala.

Btw, will you please tell folks that your son will not be moving up to 133 next season, let alone 157 as some moran suggested the other day?

Last edited:
I’m sorry for the douchie fans, Mrs Ayala.

Btw, will you please tell folks that your son will not be moving up to 133 next season, let alone 157 as some moran suggested the other day?

Don't waste your time Angie. For every moron on this board that needs corrected on another will follow. Period.

• Haha
Reactions: Jrjt0518 and el dub

Angie Ayala

Love this post!!!

Reactions: Iron Doc
Go back and edit el dub. What are you thinking? Woul you say that in person to any lady?
PS: Do you really think she’ll read the thread? I originally posted under the assumption that she wouldn’t put herself through…… this.

It's funny because I am seeing a lot of comparisons to football on Twitter....as in would you sit your player in a game etc. First things first....95% of football players wouldn't be playing with the injury that Drake has or a few of the Hawks have. Also, Iowa (along with NCSU) qualified 10 for NCAAs w/o needing a wildcard. Think about that considering the storyline of how Iowa was limping into the Big Tens. That means every guy wrestled tough enough to finish in the top 8. How many times in the last few years has that happened with even some more of our relatively healthy teams? Hell, Max Murin took the last month off and nobody knew what was up or how he was going to wrestle. He had a great tourney and finished third. I trust our coaches.

Despite the narrative that Hawk haters are putting out there, all of our guys came to wrestle. There was no stepping on the mat and injury defaulting when the ref blows the whistle although that might have served a guy like Kemerer best like Mekhi Lewis did last year at ACCs. VT was at least giving Lewis two more weeks and a shot.

I don't know how we'll do at NCAAs but I am immensely proud of this team regardless of outcome.

I am reminded of Henry Cejudo telling the story about when he won the Olympic Trials after beating Abas. He excitedly told Terry "We did it!" and Terry gave him a slap and told him, "It's just a qualifier stud." Spencer Lee will not be judged on how many Midlands Championships (0) or Big Tens (1) he won. Same with Alex Marinelli (4) as many of the same haters will point out...and they do...often. So f*ck the haters...I wish our guys luck getting ready to leave it all out there in Detroit.

It's funny because I am seeing a lot of comparisons to football on Twitter....as in would you sit your player in a game etc. First things first....95% of football players wouldn't be playing with the injury that Drake has or a few of the Hawks have. Also, Iowa (along with NCSU) qualified 10 for NCAAs w/o needing a wildcard. Think about that considering the storyline of how Iowa was limping into the Big Tens. That means every guy wrestled tough enough to finish in the top 8. How many times in the last few years has that happened with even some more of our relatively healthy teams? Hell, Max Murin took the last month off and nobody knew what was up or how he was going to wrestle. He had a great tourney and finished third. I trust our coaches.

Despite the narrative that Hawk haters are putting out there, all of our guys came to wrestle. There was no stepping on the mat and injury defaulting when the ref blows the whistle although that might have served a guy like Kemerer best like Mekhi Lewis did last year at ACCs. VT was at least giving Lewis two more weeks and a shot.

I don't know how we'll do at NCAAs but I am immensely proud of this team regardless of outcome.

I am reminded of Henry Cejudo telling the story about when he won the Olympic Trials after beating Abas. He excitedly told Terry "We did it!" and Terry gave him a slap and told him, "It's just a qualifier stud." Spencer Lee will not be judged on how many Midlands Championships (0) or Big Tens (1) he won. Same with Alex Marinelli (4) as many of the same haters will point out...and they do...often. So f*ck the haters...I wish our guys luck getting ready to leave it all out there in Detroit.
Great post!!!

If my son was on the team the last place I would be is here.....or twitter. Stay away from the negative BS.
She defending her son.
If my son was on the team the last place I would be is here.....or twitter. Stay away from the negative BS.
she doesn’t have to but sometime fans take it to the extreme. Been defending it all weekend. Fans don’t understand this isn’t the gable era!!! This era is different and kids are more talented and ahead of the game then back in the day. Not a knock on the past just more resources and more talent now a days. She has a right to say what she wants like we all do. She did it the right way. Tired of people talking like they know more then the coaching staff and post duck pictures. Foh.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT