ADVERTISEMENT

From a personal standpoint which side’s win will benefit you?

I think this is a microcosm of liberals vs conservatives. A con will vote what they think benefits them...a lib will vote what they think is best for everyone.

I’m in the camp where I’d be happy to pay more taxes to help get everyone healthcare, food, shelter, etc.
That's BS. If liberals think they do what is best for everybody, and they are always saying how we should tax the rich more, nothing is stopping those rich liberals from adding more money to their tax payments. Maybe write off a big check to the Treasury because they want to do the right thing and what is best for everyone.

Just because a certain person is elected does not preclude you from doing "what is best for everyone".

I think economically speaking, the Democrats will equal high taxes and bad economy/Republicans = low taxes and good economy hasn't really held true since Carter. I think with Bernie or maybe Warren as the nominee that would carry more weight, but I think the threat is fairly minor with Biden.

It's of some concern, as the drastic leftward push of the Democrats in recent years bears watching. However, I think that goes hand in hand with anti-Trump hysteria and being out of power, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those voices muted once Trump is gone and you actually see Democrats in power and they have to actually...you know sign their name on some of this stuff.

Put it this way...anyone noticed the decibel level on AOC has been turned down considerably since the Dems won the house? That's not by accident.

I don't think the Democrats are foolish to believe they can survive if they tank the stock market and economy...after Bill Clinton, nobody is going to accept that a shitty economy is just the cost of a Democrat presidency. So while some people might get bitten on their tax bill, including me, that wouldn't be enough to sway me.

Trump is probably slightly better for my financial self interest, I think my overall best interest is getting on to the post Trump era and some normalization. I think the post-Trump Republican party is probably better off in 2024 if he loses now and gets to run against Biden, rather than having to run on Trump's eight years. I think they probably are better off in Congress in 2022 if he loses.

Basically, these things swing back and forth now, no one party is going to be rewarded with too much time in power, and I think it's probably in the best interest as a Republican leaning conservative to go ahead and get that swing now.

I think economically speaking, the Democrats will equal high taxes and bad economy/Republicans = low taxes and good economy hasn't really held true since Carter. I think with Bernie or maybe Warren as the nominee that would carry more weight, but I think the threat is fairly minor with Biden.

It's of some concern, as the drastic leftward push of the Democrats in recent years bears watching. However, I think that goes hand in hand with anti-Trump hysteria and being out of power, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those voices muted once Trump is gone and you actually see Democrats in power and they have to actually...you know sign their name on some of this stuff.

Put it this way...anyone noticed the decibel level on AOC has been turned down considerably since the Dems won the house? That's not by accident.

I don't think the Democrats are foolish to believe they can survive if they tank the stock market and economy...after Bill Clinton, nobody is going to accept that a shitty economy is just the cost of a Democrat presidency. So while some people might get bitten on their tax bill, including me, that wouldn't be enough to sway me.

Trump is probably slightly better for my financial self interest, I think my overall best interest is getting on to the post Trump era and some normalization. I think the post-Trump Republican party is probably better off in 2024 if he loses now and gets to run against Biden, rather than having to run on Trump's eight years. I think they probably are better off in Congress in 2022 if he loses.

Basically, these things swing back and forth now, no one party is going to be rewarded with too much time in power, and I think it's probably in the best interest as a Republican leaning conservative to go ahead and get that swing now.
The current Trump Republican party is a disgrace to the country. Start there.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Reason for this topic is i have acquaintances who will vote against Trump because they are not selfish and want to share. “not selfish” and “want to share” are quotes, not paraphrased. They actually claim that they don’t expect to gain anything personally by a dem victory. Is this a reasonable and/or truthful representation?
I don’t wish to piss off the people i know irl by asking, so perhaps hrot can speak for them.

I won’t have to debate each day whether I should put @Chishawk1425 on my ignore list with his 30 a day anti Trump threads

Financially, there are already some threats ahead from the four years of Trump. While some of the negatives might surface in Biden's administration, it will be important for voters to understand that another four years of Republican rule will definitely threaten SS.

Not if living in the COVIDome that is America takes out most of our seniors for us. - MAGA!

That's BS. If liberals think they do what is best for everybody, and they are always saying how we should tax the rich more, nothing is stopping those rich liberals from adding more money to their tax payments. Maybe write off a big check to the Treasury because they want to do the right thing and what is best for everyone.

Just because a certain person is elected does not preclude you from doing "what is best for everyone".

That’s such a dumb comment.

The purpose of taxing the rich is not to confiscate money or level the economic playing field; it’s purpose is to raise sufficient money for government to pay its bills. It’s nonsensical to expect a minority to pay more than everyone else just because their proposal didn’t become law.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Stop for a minute and ask yourself this question. Having seen Trump for the last 3 years do you think the country can survive him 4 more years if he doesn’t have to worry about being re-elected

Biden is not in favor of Medicare for all and isn’t on board for The New Green Deal. Voting for him is the safest vote, IMO. I would love to see one of them add the legalization of marijuana to their platform. That would be one hell of a Hail Mary by Trump.

Back in the BC times when it looked like Bernie was gonna be the nominee I confided in my wife that I might vote for Trump this time around because the devil you know and M4A was unappealing to me. It took me 150,000+ dead and a 35% economic retraction to realize how much character matters over policy. Biden 2020 baby

Well, to be fair, its just a poorly managed slush fund that old people keep using as a private bank account that is most likely to bankrupt the country.

paraphrasing Cocaine Mitch
Damn SS beneficiaries keep treating SS like something they are entitled to. It's almost as though they think they have paid for it throughout their entire working life.

The Constitution, the Rule of Law, the Separation of Powers, and the soul of America be damned if your retirement is "safe" although the economy has always done better under Democratic administrations. Shame on both of you.
They don’t care about the economy, just the stock market.

Trump wins, my retirement is safe. He doesn't, and I'm nervous.

This exactly.

https://www.jec.senate.gov/public/_...ratic-vs.-republican-presidents-june-2016.pdf

Just leaving this here.

I actually believe most POTUS have very little influence on the markets and their performances, FWIW.

I usually consider the benefits to our domestic society as a whole when I contemplate my voting choices. This year will be a slam dunk IMO.

I don’t see capital gains taxes going up. They need to, but nobody wants to eat the drop in the market that’ll come with serious tax sales.

I think Trump is bad in the long term. Biden’s not going to dramatically change things. There just isn’t the will to do that.
The only way to justify these high valuations is if we plan to have major inflation.

Not if living in the COVIDome that is America takes out most of our seniors for us. - MAGA!
This is why the mail in push from the WH in Florida is puzzling. Once seniors realized the scope of the virus and the weak response from Trump, he was losing Florida. It took a while, but when elderly Mericans make up their minds... they are pretty stubborn. Trump isn't winning them back.

I got my job at the start of Obama's second term and lost it during Trump's first. As I've stated on here many times, I have voted Republican in every election of my life until 2016. I couldn't do it then and I sure as **** won't do it this year.

I'm going to use Trump's words for voting democrat this year, and answering the question in this threads title..."What the hell do you have to lose?"

Or people just accept lower returns, which is what they’re doing. The bond markets have forced them to.
This is a good view of things. I really believe there's a significant number of older Mericans that have assumed too much risk in the stock market because the safe venues(CDs/MM) aren't keeping up with the COL

We're in a historic run of a low interest environment. Someday that changes and the bubble will burst again.

This is why the mail in push from the WH in Florida is puzzling. Once seniors realized the scope of the virus and the weak response from Trump, he was losing Florida. It took a while, but when elderly Mericans make up their minds... they are pretty stubborn. Trump isn't winning them back.

He won't have to if they die first.

This election is about getting this narcissistic ignorant fool and his hangers on out power for good. Full stop. Whatever it “costs” me is money well spent.

Neither side specifically helps or hurts me personally. However, at this point anyway, one side is good for the country and one side isn't.

A Trump win and 4 years of him unleashed without worrying about re-election will reshape America for the better for at least a generation.

Reactions: seminoleed
A Trump win and 4 years of him unleashed without worrying about re-election will reshape America for the better for at least a generation.

tenor.gif

Wrong. Congress needs to act to help SS. And until they do you should be nervous about cuts. We have to about 2032.

The best way Congress can help Social Security is to stop borrowing and printing money.

Why is "reshaping America" so unpopular that he has to wait until his second term?
He's been doing it but he's been fettered by the Russia hoax and re-election. He's going to steam roll the left in his second term. It's going to be glorious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT