ADVERTISEMENT

from drought to rain forest

Many of the ponds we visit (birders) have dried up or shrunk drastically. We are looking forward to seeing how much difference all this rain makes.

The good thing is for the most part it has been light and spread over a period of days. Far as I know, no rivers are rising. I've noticed in the surrounding areas, people's ponds are filling back up.

My lawn is greening up, too. I may actually have to mow next week.

This week is a month too late...but still was exactly what we needed.

The good thing is for the most part it has been light and spread over a period of days. Far as I know, no rivers are rising. I've noticed in the surrounding areas, people's ponds are filling back up.

My lawn is greening up, too. I may actually have to mow next week.

This week is a month too late...but still was exactly what we needed.
Yep. The rising Maquoketa River screwed up my smallmouth fishing last Sunday.

Yep. The rising Maquoketa River screwed up my smallmouth fishing last Sunday.

Smaller rivers will show an increase obviously. "Creeks be risin' ". Luckily it hasn't been a blowout monsoon day after day. The past few years, the fall rains have been big and all at once...this, not so much thankfully (from a fishing perspective).

It has rained non-stop here in CR all morning and we haven't gotten a quarter inch total. If it's gonna rain over a period of days, that's how you want it.

I'm hoping the Mississippi on pool 11 isn't chocolate milk Saturday and Sunday mornings. River isn't even forecast to rise at the moment - that's how dry we've been. The system is supposed to blow out tomorrow at some point and we'll begin warming up with more heavy rain potential before it blows through.

Friday night will probably decide my weekend. Fishing both weekend mornings, or only Sunday.

Yeah, we got a new puppy about two weeks ago, and she's been miserable the last 3 days. Outside kennel (with cover, so she isn't just out in the rain), but doesn't want to play, doesn't want to go for a walk, just is pissed about it raining on her. Oh well

Smaller rivers will show an increase obviously. "Creeks be risin' ". Luckily it hasn't been a blowout monsoon day after day. The past few years, the fall rains have been big and all at once...this, not so much thankfully (from a fishing perspective).

It has rained non-stop here in CR all morning and we haven't gotten a quarter inch total. If it's gonna rain over a period of days, that's how you want it.

I'm hoping the Mississippi on pool 11 isn't chocolate milk Saturday and Sunday mornings. River isn't even forecast to rise at the moment - that's how dry we've been. The system is supposed to blow out tomorrow at some point and we'll begin warming up with more heavy rain potential before it blows through.

Friday night will probably decide my weekend. Fishing both weekend mornings, or only Sunday.
The water had gone up probably 2 feet and was definitely chocolate milk. I was wading, heading to a shallow rock bed that I knew was there but forgot about the big piece of metal sitting on. I cut up my leg, went home and had to get a tetanus shot. Still living and learning at 52.

We couldn’t have football practice because of Covid and now when we can we canceled because of the weather. Thanks 2020.

The water had gone up probably 2 feet and was definitely chocolate milk. I was wading, heading to a shallow rock bed that I knew was there but forgot about the big piece of metal sitting on. I cut up my leg, went home and had to get a tetanus shot. Still living and learning at 52.

Yep, at 50 in 2012 I took a spill climbing down the rip rap on the Mississippi to my favorite spot. It cured me taking on adventures like that. I was lucky I "just" had a broken hand and welts/cuts all up and down one side of my body. Bruised, broken, and bloody...it could have been so much worse.

I had climbed down that path for 40 years unscathed. I now fish the area from my boat only.

Sucks getting old.

looking at 5 straight days of rain after going 4 weeks without.

Midwest weather is so weird
Not supposed to end until tomorrow. My lawn is squishy. It needs to be mowed. Maybe Sunday, probably Monday before my mower wheels will not dig into the ground.

My dog did his morning ritual of walking to the slider and once I open it he slowly turns around and tries to walk back inside. I know your games Ned. You're not going up to pee in the guest room any more.
Our older dog Daisy pulled the same shit. Our young dumb puppy Sunny DGAF and wandered out to do her biz.

Reactions: cigaretteman
You realize an " average " is a made up number by dividing the total rainfall over a year by 12 months or 52 weeks, right? We have never gotten .67 inches of rain/week for a year...
giphy.gif

Average-
a number expressing the central or typical value in a set of data, in particular the mode, median, or (most commonly) the mean, which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in the set by their number.

1. Average September rainfall = (total rain for all recorded septembers)/(# of all recorded septembers)
  2. Actual rain fall through 10 days = x
  3. Apparently, x = 4 * (Average September rainfall).
I don't understand how that is confusing.

Last edited:
Every day or week or year is above or below the average. Yes, we have had more rain in September than a couple months prior. Not unusual in the least...
Every day is above, below, or at the daily average. Every week is above, below, or at the weekly average. Every month is above, below, or at the monthly average. Every year is above, below, or at the year average. It is possible to have 4 times the average rainfall for a particular month, 10 days through that month. You must be trying to express a different thought because that is 5th grade math.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Now you get it. Whining about above or below average weather makes no sense...
I get nothing. "Whining" about above/below average weather makes sense because doing so indicates whether you are in a flooding or drought situation. With more data, it can show how far you have deviated from the norm and just how unusual it is on a distribution. That is basic statistics.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT