ADVERTISEMENT

From my Cardiac Rehab Days I learned ....

You do hear of younger seemingly healthy people dropping dead while jogging and other light activities and autopsy reveals a genetic condition.

I think Hank Gathers had a genetic condition

I was two weeks past my 40th birthday when I had my LAD try to explode and cause a "widowmaker" heart attack. I'd never had any issues, and had actually just been to a cardiologist a couple months prior because I had a family history.

Out running on the Engineer Trail at Fort Leonard Wood, went in to clean up for class and boom. Well, it wasn't a boom, it was more of a "Man, that feels weird...is that a pulled muscle...that's a little painful when I breathe...somethings not right, I better get to the hospital" spread over about 15 minutes. My Dr credits me being in great shape as to why I recovered so well and quickly.

I did have a cousin who found out about his undiagnosed condition by dropping dead at 45 in his living room, and another by nearly dropping dead on the High Trestle Trail on his bike at 36 (he took my spot in the family as the youngest heart attack recipient). We've determined, if you make it to 54, you'll die an old man (or woman).

I turn 54 next month, wish me luck.

There was a cardiologist (from FSU) just on “Morning Joe” who gave an excellent presentation on what he thought happened on the field last night. At least he mentioned a positive resolution might be in the cards here. Defibrillators are an amazing tool and sounds like this is what saved the players life last night.

Reactions: Joes Place
A good friend of mine had a doctor mom who worked in the cardiac care unit of our hospital. Dad - in his early 50's - was in for a check-up. He had just finished the treadmill stress test and everything was fine. Walking out the door of that room, he fell face-first. His wife and some of the best cardiac care people in the state were on him in literally seconds but they said later that he was dead before he hit the floor.

I was two weeks past my 40th birthday when I had my LAD try to explode and cause a "widowmaker" heart attack. I'd never had any issues, and had actually just been to a cardiologist a couple months prior because I had a family history.

Out running on the Engineer Trail at Fort Leonard Wood, went in to clean up for class and boom. Well, it wasn't a boom, it was more of a "Man, that feels weird...is that a pulled muscle...that's a little painful when I breathe...somethings not right, I better get to the hospital" spread over about 15 minutes. My Dr credits me being in great shape as to why I recovered so well and quickly.

I did have a cousin who found out about his undiagnosed condition by dropping dead at 45 in his living room, and another by nearly dropping dead on the High Trestle Trail on his bike at 36 (he took my spot in the family as the youngest heart attack recipient). We've determined, if you make it to 54, you'll die an old man (or woman).

I turn 54 next month, wish me luck.
Good luck!

Seeing what happened reminded me of something that I learned about in EMT class that was probably the cause of the issue:

From Wiki:

Commotio cordis (Latin, "agitation of the heart") is an often lethal disruption of heart rhythm that occurs as a result of a blow to the area directly over the heart (the precordial region) at a critical time during the cycle of a heart beat that leads to the commotio cordis by disrupting the normal heart electrical activity, followed instantly by ventricular fibrillation and complete disorganization of the heart's pumping function.[1] It is not an event caused by mechanical damage to the heart muscle or surrounding organs, and not the result of heart disease.[1]

Currently the survival rate is 58%, which is an improvement since the years 1993–2012, when only 34% of victims survived. This increase is likely caused by prompt cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), access to defibrillation and higher public awareness of this condition.[1][2]

Commotio cordis occurs mostly in boys and young men (average age 15), usually during sports, most frequently baseball, often despite a chest protector.[1] It is usually caused by a projectile, but can also be caused by the blow of an elbow or other body part. Being less developed, the thorax of an adolescent is likely more prone to this injury given the circumstances.[1]

The #1 symptom of undiagnosed cardiac disease for someone under 50 years of age is....sudden death. Not chest pains, not shortness of breath, not dizziness/light headedness, but SUDDEN DEATH. This is the reality of what America witnessed last night on MNF.
The survival rate of commotio cardis is up to 58% now

(no, that hasnt been the diagnosed cause, but given the video and what we currently know thats been released, it is a possibility)

A good friend of mine had a doctor mom who worked in the cardiac care unit of our hospital. Dad - in his early 50's - was in for a check-up. He had just finished the treadmill stress test and everything was fine. Walking out the door of that room, he fell face-first. His wife and some of the best cardiac care people in the state were on him in literally seconds but they said later that he was dead before he hit the floor.

A friend of mine's dad died while on the treadmill. He was 50 and had never had an issue. Same thing, they worked on him for quite a while trying to get vitals/breathing back, but they told my friend he was likely dead before they were able to work on him.

Seeing what happened reminded me of something that I learned about in EMT class that was probably the cause of the issue:

From Wiki:

Commotio cordis (Latin, "agitation of the heart") is an often lethal disruption of heart rhythm that occurs as a result of a blow to the area directly over the heart (the precordial region) at a critical time during the cycle of a heart beat that leads to the commotio cordis by disrupting the normal heart electrical activity, followed instantly by ventricular fibrillation and complete disorganization of the heart's pumping function.[1] It is not an event caused by mechanical damage to the heart muscle or surrounding organs, and not the result of heart disease.[1]

Currently the survival rate is 58%, which is an improvement since the years 1993–2012, when only 34% of victims survived. This increase is likely caused by prompt cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), access to defibrillation and higher public awareness of this condition.[1][2]

Commotio cordis occurs mostly in boys and young men (average age 15), usually during sports, most frequently baseball, often despite a chest protector.[1] It is usually caused by a projectile, but can also be caused by the blow of an elbow or other body part. Being less developed, the thorax of an adolescent is likely more prone to this injury given the circumstances.[1]
That is what it reminded me of As I posted in another thread. It happened during a high school Lacrosse game here several years ago.

Commotio cordis is a very rare but potentially catastrophic phenomenon that can result in cardiac arrest. It can occur when a blunt, but often relatively mild blow to the area of the chest directly over the heart occurs during a precise moment of the heart's cycle, leading to sudden cardiac arrest. Documented cases have occurred in more than a dozen sports and activities including hockey, baseball, martial arts and lacrosse.

ADVERTISEMENT