ADVERTISEMENT

From my Reddit news feed today - Baltimore HS students - 41% below 1.0 GPA

Finance85

HR Legend
Oct 22, 2003
BALTIMORE (WBFF) - Baltimore City Schools has reached an alarming low in student performance. Project Baltimore has learned, during the first three quarters of this year, nearly half of high school students in City Schools earned a grade point average below a D.

When Jovani Patterson ran for Baltimore City Council President last year, he ran on a platform that included accountability in education.

“They take. They take. They take. Yet, despite the amount of money they get. We don’t see much change. Our schools outspend 97% of other major school districts,” Patterson said during a 2020 campaign ad.

Project Baltimore obtained a chart assembled by Baltimore City Schools. The chart shows the average GPA for every high school grade in the city – freshman through senior. In the first three quarters of this past school year, according to the chart, 41% of all Baltimore City high school students, earned below a 1.0 grade point average. In other words, nearly half of the 20,500 public high school students in Baltimore earned less than a D average.

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/proje...-41-of-high-school-students-earn-below-10-gpa

These are the kids who will have no skills, and will likely be the ones who never get out of the lowest income quintile.

tenor.gif

Are we sure that’s not national?

Last edited:
The silver lining here is that grades still retain some degree of rigor and might still serve their purpose.

BALTIMORE (WBFF) - Baltimore City Schools has reached an alarming low in student performance. Project Baltimore has learned, during the first three quarters of this year, nearly half of high school students in City Schools earned a grade point average below a D.

When Jovani Patterson ran for Baltimore City Council President last year, he ran on a platform that included accountability in education.

“They take. They take. They take. Yet, despite the amount of money they get. We don’t see much change. Our schools outspend 97% of other major school districts,” Patterson said during a 2020 campaign ad.

Project Baltimore obtained a chart assembled by Baltimore City Schools. The chart shows the average GPA for every high school grade in the city – freshman through senior. In the first three quarters of this past school year, according to the chart, 41% of all Baltimore City high school students, earned below a 1.0 grade point average. In other words, nearly half of the 20,500 public high school students in Baltimore earned less than a D average.

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/proje...-41-of-high-school-students-earn-below-10-gpa

These are the kids who will have no skills, and will likely be the ones who never get out of the lowest income quintile.
Schools can’t undo the lack of family values and regards for education these kids are exposed to outside of school. The dysfunctional life these kids are exposed to results in what you see. The best teachers can’t fix that.

Schools can’t undo the lack of family values and regards for education these kids are exposed to outside of school. The dysfunctional life these kids are exposed to results in what you see. The best teachers can’t fix that.

Very true.

At least Baltimore hasn't moved the goal posts for their kids and still holding them to a higher standard.

Reactions: Finance85
grades have very little to do with intelligence.
Agreed. Lots of 4.0 (unweighted) students are of just average intelligence - they may be exceptionally driven, or just take the easiest courses possible.

Conversely, there are also C students that are truly freaking brilliant. Maybe they don't feel challenged enough, which might cause apathy.

Reactions: ping72

A girl in my grade was low IQ enough to be in a self-contained special ed classroom. She got good grades and a degree from Iowa State (via a JuCo). The smartest kid in my grade nearly flunked out of HS.

Anecdotal, I know, but I used to teach middle and high school. I’m very confident in saying that today HS grades are 90% just doing the work and 10% intelligence.

I mean if you are conscious and attend class they hand you a C. They AVERAGED below a D. That’s freaking DUMB. I mean you gotta try to get answers wrong to do that bad in every subject. Give me a break with this excuse making. Come on man!

You said it yourself... if you attend class. This was during covid in a school district with a lot of kids who had no parents at home to help remote learners.

Reactions: goldmom
You said it yourself... if you attend class. This was during covid in a school district with a lot of kids who had no parents at home to help remote learners.

So you’re saying 15-18 year olds were too dumb to set up remote learning and tune in themselves? That sounds pretty dumb to me but go on with yo bad self girlfriend.

For instance, my parents did exactly nothing whatsoever throughout the entirety of high school to “help me learn.” They told me to go to school and I went, my teachers told me to do homework and i did it. When do these apparently really intelligent young people who get F’s and D’s start to take responsibility for their own actions?

If not in high school, when?

I don’t think blaming their parents or their teachers for their actions is helpful.

Last edited:
Very true.

At least Baltimore hasn't moved the goal posts for their kids and still holding them to a higher standard.
Well, I have seen grades like that in spite of moving the goal posts. Sometimes I feel that the oversight of the states encourages schools to pass kids simply for breathing. I think there are many Administrators in Iowa that do that very thing alleviating that blame and embracing this idea that you are helping the kids whereas you are really only enabling their learned helplessness and chronic lack of effort.

Last edited:
In 1991, I met a few recent Baltimore high school grads. That doesn’t surprise me one bit.
I was placed in a position to read papers they had written and I thought the papers were written by 1st graders. Punctuation, capitalization, spelling, grammar, verb agreement, it was all a mess.
I was advised to give them Cs. I remember thinking if that was average, I was freaking Faulkner.

I'm not sure why there's a debate about IQ or effort, the result is the same. At some point we'll be talking about whether or not these kids deserve a living minimum wage, or why they are on welfare. This is a root cause.

Agreed. Lots of 4.0 (unweighted) students are of just average intelligence - they may be exceptionally driven, or just take the easiest courses possible.

Conversely, there are also C students that are truly freaking brilliant. Maybe they don't feel challenged enough, which might cause apathy.
There is SOME truth to this. But...at some point...y'all know the rest...

Democrats in charge for decades. Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore….all Democrat run shitholes. You show me a city ran by Democrats for decades and I’ll show you a shithole with bad schools, high crime, high drug use, high homicide rates and high poverty. Until they bring dads back into the house, nothing will change. Sure, go ahead and keep blaming the false narrative of systemic racism. As long as you do, the problems will never get fixed.

A girl in my grade was low IQ enough to be in a self-contained special ed classroom. She got good grades and a degree from Iowa State (via a JuCo). The smartest kid in my grade nearly flunked out of HS.

Anecdotal, I know, but I used to teach middle and high school. I’m very confident in saying that today HS grades are 90% just doing the work and 10% intelligence.

I get what you’re saying, but ultimately a career and life in general is largely about “just doing the work”. It sounds like you are making the case that grades are more about work ethic than intelligence. Give me someone with average intelligence and a high work ethic over very high intelligence and poor work ethic in almost all cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: 86Hawkeye
Democrats in charge for decades. Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore….all Democrat run shitholes. You show me a city ran by Democrats for decades and I’ll show you a shithole with bad schools, high crime, high drug use, high homicide rates and high poverty. Until they bring dads back into the house, nothing will change. Sure, go ahead and keep blaming the false narrative of systemic racism. As long as you do, the problems will never get fixed.
oh yeah cause the Republican areas bastions of quality education and no opioids and a lack of poverty

ADVERTISEMENT