ADVERTISEMENT

From my Reddit news feed today - Baltimore HS students - 41% below 1.0 GPA

Time for school choice. Break the cycle for ones that have their heads on straight

BALTIMORE (WBFF) - Baltimore City Schools has reached an alarming low in student performance. Project Baltimore has learned, during the first three quarters of this year, nearly half of high school students in City Schools earned a grade point average below a D.

When Jovani Patterson ran for Baltimore City Council President last year, he ran on a platform that included accountability in education.

“They take. They take. They take. Yet, despite the amount of money they get. We don’t see much change. Our schools outspend 97% of other major school districts,” Patterson said during a 2020 campaign ad.

Project Baltimore obtained a chart assembled by Baltimore City Schools. The chart shows the average GPA for every high school grade in the city – freshman through senior. In the first three quarters of this past school year, according to the chart, 41% of all Baltimore City high school students, earned below a 1.0 grade point average. In other words, nearly half of the 20,500 public high school students in Baltimore earned less than a D average.

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/proje...-41-of-high-school-students-earn-below-10-gpa

These are the kids who will have no skills, and will likely be the ones who never get out of the lowest income quintile.
I'm absolutely shocked :cool:.

At least Baltimore is telling it like it is.

I wonder how many big city areas are like this in reality but don't show it honestly. Can't just be Baltimore.

Baltimore has lots of poor and destitute neighborhoods. I know; I lived there in an affluent neighborhood and my campus was located in a poor neighborhood that is now gentrified. The whites and the rich minorities have access to world class education from elementary to graduate and medical schools. The poor live in open air heroin markets. This discrepancy needs to be addressed and the value of an education needs to be emphasized. Baltimore is an awesome city much like Boston and it's no surprise so many fine educational institutions are in both cities.

ADVERTISEMENT