ADVERTISEMENT

From The Washington Post

They're not supposed to be compensated...they are amatures. That said, they generally get a couple hundred thousand dollars in tuition and benefits. The average student would do dang near anything for that kind of "non-compensation".

Quit trying to paint these players as victims. Playing football is entirely voluntary and for the vast majority of kids has little do with planning an NFL future. Universities make money from Grad students doing research and assisting with making scientific breakthroughs...should we pay each grad student huge amounts of money. The truth is, for the grad student and the player, what they do is in the form of a modern day apprenticeship...learning is your pay.
Pro football is also voluntary. Does that make them victims too? Many schools do pay grad students for their work but let’s not confuse the issue. I asked what people disagree with the article about. The schools are making millions off poorly compensated kids. You still haven’t refuted that point.

You could basically say that about any industry we all work for. Big tech, oil, pharmaceutical, clothing and so on. We all work for pennies compared to what the exec's for these big corporations make every year. I guess the NCAA is just getting these kids ready for reality. That is if they dont make the pros and end up making millions. One could argue public colleges should cut costs as well as pay less to college administrators and professors so the students dont end up with 40-50 grand of debt.
Fair enough, but it doesn’t really refute the article.

Reactions: David1979
Do you have any proof of this, or is this just your(and FOXNews) delusion? I mean, I hear this baseless accusation thrown out time and again by Trumptards, but there is never any real evidence.
Of course there isn’t. The GOP hired Steele to investigate Trump’s background and then when he won the nomination Clinton then hired the continuation of the the background check. People act like this is something new. It happens in every election for EVERY CANDIDATE. The difference being that candidates in the past aren’t in bed with foreign adversaries like Trump is.

What is truly amazing, is how people are warped of the truth. It is downright scary. Thank you Rupert Murdoch

Not only for the future of our children, but the future of America....

With the Trump economy shrinking at 32.9%, and China & India increasing, we will no longer be the leaders of the world within 6 months...

Think about that.

It is uber frustrating that soo many do not understand basic macroeconomics.... F me!

Lol, omg you are delirious

The average student debt, from a major university, when paying their own way is close to 6 figures. $$$, $$$. B1G football players do not have this burden upon graduating. But yeah, poorly compensated.

Pro football is also voluntary. Does that make them victims too? Many schools do pay grad students for their work but let’s not confuse the issue. I asked what people disagree with the article about. The schools are making millions off poorly compensated kids. You still haven’t refuted that point.

I don't believe the kids are poorly compensated, but do agree the coaches are paid too much. They don't have to accept a scholarship to play. It is expensive to go to college, especially when you get free medium rare steaks and are forced to eat it despite it making you sick.

The part about pro football is so off point it can be ignored.

Reading through this is disgusting. How can one man make you look so pathetic? Seriously, you act like he took your wife, kids, and house. GTFU and just accept it already, you lefties have proven to be so committed to being pieces of sh*t. Every single day you wake up and let this man run your life, every single day the news runs negative stories, it is exhausting for me to even listen too. I honestly don't care if Biden wins so I can have 4 quiet years from you freaks.

The average student debt, from a major university, when paying their own way is close to 6 figures. $$$, $$$. B1G football players do not have this burden upon graduating. But yeah, poorly compensated.
They are poorly compensated. When you have defensive and offensive coordinators making $2M/year, head coaches making over $5M and universities pulling in tens if not hundreds of millions, it’s not that hard to see the kids are getting the raw deal in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: Terrykohawk
Reading through this is disgusting. How can one man make you look so pathetic? Seriously, you act like he took your wife, kids, and house. GTFU and just accept it already, you lefties have proven to be so committed to being pieces of sh*t. Every single day you wake up and let this man run your life, every single day the news runs negative stories, it is exhausting for me to even listen too. I honestly don't care if Biden wins so I can have 4 quiet years from you freaks.

Unfortunately It won’t matter if Biden wins - have you ever met a liberal that is happy?

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
The New York Times printed the Pentagon Papers. (Look it up.)

The Washington Post reporters Woodward and Bernstein brought down that president who, it turned out, actually was a crook and liar, Republican Richard Nixon. It was a thing called Watergate, and it pales in comparison to the multitude of transgressions carried out by the current administration, including the fake president's admission that, to try to avoid losing the election, he wants to destroy the US Postal Service that has been operating for 245 years.

The fake president has said that if people are allowed to vote by mail, so many people will vote that he'll lose the election, so no more mail for you.

Thomas Jefferson said that if he had to choose between having a government or having newspapers, he'd take newspapers every time. (Again, look it up.) And that's why the free press is protected by the First Amendment, although it also has been under daily attack by the current administration.

BTW: I don't know if it's true, but some people have said Trump Jr. used to be a girl. Interesting. I can't confirm it. It's just something I've heard.

Just go away.......

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Of course there isn’t. The GOP hired Steele to investigate Trump’s background and then when he won the nomination Clinton then hired the continuation of the the background check. People act like this is something new. It happens in every election for EVERY CANDIDATE. The difference being that candidates in the past aren’t in bed with foreign adversaries like Trump is.

Take off your tin foil hat...This is a football forum.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Oh, did I hurt the marxist's feelings.......
Yes, I'm all broken up. I'm not sure how I can get through the week. FYI, 'Marxist' was the MAGA word of the month in July. For August it's 'indoctrination'. The more you know.

Yes, I'm all broken up. I'm not sure how I can get through the week. FYI, 'Marxist' was the MAGA word of the month in July. For August it's 'indoctrination'. The more you know.

Aren't you late for today's protests and police assaults?

Oh yeah... the President of the United States... Donald Trump... was legally impeached by the United States House of Representatives, following the laws of the US Constitution. Look it up. I don't think Fake Fox News covered it. Just the third time ever a President has been impeached for crimes against the Constitution. Impeached. In the books. History.
Please cite his violation of the Constitution. He was impeached because they hate him and not because of a violation.

Reactions: CaboKP

What’s to refute? Schools make money and provide amateur level entertainment to students and fans. By letting people watch amateur players play football, they fund a host of other competitive sports and activities on campus...and they provide 10’s of thousands of kids with free tuition. Sounds good to me.

And what did you really think the position of the Washington Post was going to be? They don’t give a damn about people losing businesses, jobs etc. Did you read the article about all the shootings in Chicago, Baltimore etc.? No, because there was no article. Did they detail how many young children have been murdered in the last 30 days? No, because there was no article. Oh wait, it’s impossible to by a gun in Chicago. Gangs traffic guns because it is big revenue. Do you think they are worried about obtaining a gun permit? Cut to the chase here, the people running the BIG Conference have turned it into a “Rudderless Ship”.
lol

Curious what people’s issues were with the article? I love CFB, but the author isn’t wrong. His main point is CFB is a multi-billion dollar industry on the backs of poorly compensated kids. He’s right. There really isn’t an argument against it.

How poorly compensated are the players that receive a college tuition, room, & board that never play a down? Do tell.

Of course you didn't intentionally leave out China, the Ukraine, and Iran? Because that bed has been occupied more times than a $50 hooker and is really wanting its old partners back!

What’s to refute? Schools make money and provide amateur level entertainment to students and fans. By letting people watch amateur players play football, they fund a host of other competitive sports and activities on campus...and they provide 10’s of thousands of kids with free tuition. Sounds good to me.
You can call it amateur all you like, but it's really a multi-million dollar industry where the kids are required to train/practice year round.

You can call it amateur all you like, but it's really a multi-million dollar industry where the kids are required to train/practice year round.
You understand that besides the free tuition and all of the advantages that comes with that for athletes, they also get actual cash/stipend for expenses? Have you actually seen what is available for them? At some point stop blaming colleges for this situation. Football funds a multitude of other sports. At any time the NFL could start its own developmental league. It chooses not to. If you think 50K plus per year and no debt for someone in college is nothing, then God bless you!

Reactions: Nipigu
You understand that besides the free tuition and all of the advantages that comes with that for athletes, they also get actual cash/stipend for expenses? Have you actually seen what is available for them? At some point stop blaming colleges for this situation. Football funds a multitude of other sports. At any time the NFL could start its own developmental league. It chooses not to. If you think 50K plus per year and no debt for someone in college is nothing, then God bless you!
I never said they weren't compensated. I said they are compensated poorly when you consider how much money is being generated. If people weren't getting rich off the game, I would be fine with status quo, but we know people are getting rich off the game.

There is definitely an imbalance. Capitalism created it, with the coaches salaries spiraling out of control. But how to fix it is incredibly complex. One thing is for certain, there will certainly be a lot of unhappy people. No matter the outcome.

Universities have created and funded football, and other sports for over 100 years. They would technically be the owners, I guess... If they do it wrong, it could spiral out of control and F up everything. That is my fear.

Another negative effect of all this, will be the loss of dozens of other collegiate sports. All on something that universities have created over the last 100 years, football.

Again, there is absolutely no way to make everyone happy.

They are poorly compensated. When you have defensive and offensive coordinators making $2M/year, head coaches making over $5M and universities pulling in tens if not hundreds of millions, it’s not that hard to see the kids are getting the raw deal in the grand scheme of things.

There is definitely an imbalance. Capitalism created it, with the coaches salaries spiraling out of control. But how to fix it is incredibly complex. One thing is for certain, there will certainly be a lot of unhappy people. No matter the outcome.

Universities have created and funded football, and other sports for over 100 years. They would technically be the owners, I guess... If they do it wrong, it could spiral out of control and F up everything. That is my fear.

Another negative effect of all this, will be the loss of dozens of other collegiate sports. All on something that universities have created over the last 100 years, football.

I agree and I don't have a solution. It's really a complex issue, as you stated.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
I never said they weren't compensated. I said they are compensated poorly when you consider how much money is being generated. If people weren't getting rich off the game, I would be fine with status quo, but we know people are getting rich off the game.
Other than head coaches and certain coordinators, just what "people" are getting rich? And before you condemn the fact that these coaches are getting "rich", remember they are hired to be fired and are the leaders of what drives the economy for most college towns. And so f'n what that a few people make money. It's their career and they have paid their dues.

You mean they have to do work to earn their tuition, room and board? That’s outrageous.

Yep say goodbye to women's athletics.

Really going to miss the rowing and lacrosse team despite no high schools in Iowa even having one lacrosse team. (sarcasm)

If you want to know where all the bloat from college sports go, look at women's sports budgets. Ironic that liberals will be responsible for destroying women's meal tickets.

Rowing has a rich donor (See their facility).

Lacrosse is a badass sport! Have you watched it? I seriously wish we had it when I was in high school!

Several teams in the Des Moines metro practice it at just one facility in Johnston. Dowling, Ankeny & Waukee have clubs that practice there. Ironically, Johnston's teams do not. They practice elsewhere. But there are plenty of facilities in the metro to accommodate winter practices.

Lacrosse is a fun sport. It is a mixture of football, soccer and hockey. But more constant movement than football. And much more excitement than soccer or hockey....
Speaking of hockey, I suppose this throws out the door the possibility of The University of Iowa getting scholarship hockey team at the Coralville facility??
That would have rocked! Love going to hockey games.
Dammit

Really going to miss the rowing and lacrosse team despite no high schools in Iowa even having one lacrosse team. (sarcasm)

If you want to know where all the bloat from college sports go, look at women's sports budgets. Ironic that liberals will be responsible for destroying women's meal tickets.

1. The WaPo and Times were much different publications then. 95% of what the Post reports in politics now wouldn't have passed the two-source test the post used then. Your statement about Trump Jr. would be reported there now.

2. Like a lot of people, you omit the next sentence in TJ's statement. He said his endorsement was contingent on every person being able to read and understand the press. Moreover, he made the statement before he got heavily involved in elective politics. Later, he said, “Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper.”

95%? That is pure bullshit. You right wing nuts spend all day calling these mainstream publications “made up” but of course you don’t even look at them. The Post and Times publish largely left-leaning editorials. They may produce click baity headlines. But they are not making up the news. As usual “fake news” never carries a shred of evidence.

Reactions: silasstarr

This post is such partisan bs, it’s comical.

Curious what people’s issues were with the article? I love CFB, but the author isn’t wrong. His main point is CFB is a multi-billion dollar industry on the backs of poorly compensated kids. He’s right. There really isn’t an argument against it.
College football’s first mistake was granting “scholarships” for athletic ability. College’s job is to educate not job train. Division 3 has the right idea. Not that it cannot be abused...but that is more a human being thing.
College sports currently do take advantage of the economically deprived. In my musings however, I am becoming more and more convinced there has to be a cleaner more efficient program that should be used and does not involve education.
However, I have never met an educator who doesn’t believe they can do anything better...and alas, this includes athletics. (However, I believe college’s “ believe this” because of the tremendous monies involved in it...and college’s, like any other business, like their money.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT